The Student Room Group

Teaching Degree - have i locked myself out?

HI! So for the past ever i havent really known what i want to do, other than "go to uni" however late November ish i realized i want to be a teacher, but the A-level subjects ive picked dont really suit a secondary school teaching job, being Politics, Psychology and Sociology. Am i just completely locked out of secondary teaching??
Original post by AtomicTaste
HI! So for the past ever i havent really known what i want to do, other than "go to uni" however late November ish i realized i want to be a teacher, but the A-level subjects ive picked dont really suit a secondary school teaching job, being Politics, Psychology and Sociology. Am i just completely locked out of secondary teaching??

Nope.

To get into teaching (or in your case, teaching at secondary), you would need a degree or certificate that has QTS. There are multiple paths to getting a suitable degree:

Do a BEd which should have QTS, and these degrees usually accept A Level grades from any 3 subjects, including those that you have done. I would make sure the bachelor's would allow you to teach at secondary level and not primary (doing a degree and QTS for primary will lock you out of secondary teaching unless you do a separate qualification for secondary)

After completing a bachelor's in any random subject, for a PGCE/PGDE with QTS in secondary education in a subject of your choice (very likely related to the subejct of your undergrad). Again, don't do the PGCE/PGDE in primary education, otherwise you're in for an avoidable headache.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending