The Student Room Group

TFEL or post grad certificate in primary?

I don’t mind completing a PGDE in Scotland but I wonder if a TFEL is similar or…? I don’t know much about TFEL so any thoughts about this would be lovely
Original post by redstarfish23
I don’t mind completing a PGDE in Scotland but I wonder if a TFEL is similar or…? I don’t know much about TFEL so any thoughts about this would be lovely

Where you say TFEL, did you mean Teaching For Effective Learning?
If you meant TEFL, Teaching English as a Foreign Language, then that's different.

TEFL qualifications won't allow you to teach in primary schools; TEFL is usually more tailored to adults learning English as a foreign language (usually at colleges) and doesn't require you to have a degree. If you want to teach at primary or secondary schools, you would need a degree with QTS (e.g. PGCE or PGDE either at the appropriate level of education/schooling).

Whilst it's strictly not a requirement to have a TEFL qualification to teach people English, it's strongly recommended especially if the qualification is recognised in multiple countries e.g. CELTA and Trinity CertTESOL

If you want to teach at a college in the UK, then you should be able to get by without a teaching certificate.

If you want specifics or sources, please clarify the above.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending