The Student Room Group

English Literary studies MA

Hi all,

I've just been accepted at the University of Southampton to start an MA this September. I had a few questions for anyone out there who has done / or is doing this course.... or anyone really who had completed/ undertaking an English Literature MA :smile:

Here are some generic question(s)

What did/ do you think of the MA? Is postgraduate level English a huge step up from undergrad? How are you finding the work load?

Here are a few Southampton orientated questions:

How many teaching hours do you get per week? Do you like the campus? Would you recommend doing this course full time / part time? Did you get all your books new?

Cheers in advance for any advice you can offer
[hi did you go ???? I've just been accepted for this year interested in your views thanks

QUOTE=charlygrace93;64313797]Hi all,

I've just been accepted at the University of Southampton to start an MA this September. I had a few questions for anyone out there who has done / or is doing this course.... or anyone really who had completed/ undertaking an English Literature MA :smile:

Here are some generic question(s)

What did/ do you think of the MA? Is postgraduate level English a huge step up from undergrad? How are you finding the work load?

Here are a few Southampton orientated questions:

How many teaching hours do you get per week? Do you like the campus? Would you recommend doing this course full time / part time? Did you get all your books new?

Cheers in advance for any advice you can offer
Reply 2
I am currently doing my MA in Literary Studies, about to start my dissertation.

There wasn't a HUGE step up in workload at my university, however there are definitely different expectations of you.

The one thing that struck me was the sudden emphasis on the importance of originality at MA level. Your essays now have to say something that no one else has said. My lecturers talk about "contributing to the wider field of knowledge" a lot. It can often be difficult to be completely original and this is probably the thing I have struggled with the most.

Our tutors no longer see us as 'students' but as 'academics' and they are seriously interested in our points of view. They actually seem to enjoy teaching us a lot more.

The MA is hugely rewarding and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to further explore English as a subject or hoping to go into academia.
Thanks from your tag can I take it you've done your pgce too? I'm trying to decide between the two thx

Original post by pgce2004
I am currently doing my MA in Literary Studies, about to start my dissertation.

There wasn't a HUGE step up in workload at my university, however there are definitely different expectations of you.

The one thing that struck me was the sudden emphasis on the importance of originality at MA level. Your essays now have to say something that no one else has said. My lecturers talk about "contributing to the wider field of knowledge" a lot. It can often be difficult to be completely original and this is probably the thing I have struggled with the most.

Our tutors no longer see us as 'students' but as 'academics' and they are seriously interested in our points of view. They actually seem to enjoy teaching us a lot more.

The MA is hugely rewarding and I would recommend it to anyone wanting to further explore English as a subject or hoping to go into academia.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending