The Student Room Group

Creative Writing

I'm curious to know what it's like for people who have/currently studied/worked in creative writing sectors (universities, courses and careers post-university). What does a typical day look like for you? What is your career? Any recommendations? I've left this broad on purpose because any information is welcome :smile:
Original post by iL1L
I'm curious to know what it's like for people who have/currently studied/worked in creative writing sectors (universities, courses and careers post-university). What does a typical day look like for you? What is your career? Any recommendations? I've left this broad on purpose because any information is welcome :smile:

Hello there,

I've just finished my degree in English Literature and Creative Writing actually and I found it incredible. While it can be very daunting to share your work with others I think studying it provides key skills in communication with others, networking and overall becoming more confident in your writing career. At my university students are required to comment on each other's writing; scary? Yes. Rewarding? Yes.
I know of people who have published novels or poetry collections while still studying at my university so the opportunities are endless if you plan to garner a career in that area.

Not only that but my experiences of creative writing have aided my writing ability in my literary degree as the practice of writing constantly and consistently over a wide range of time solidifies a routine. It's a subject that provides writing and technical skills that you can apply in your CV and job applications to really make you stand out from the crowd. Careers aren't restricted to teaching or journalism etc. These degrees can get you into so much more: law, proof reading, advertisements, game scripts, movie scripts. My uni has four student-run literary journals produced by students that people can join alongside the degree to gain even more literary skills to apply on your CV.

Hope this helped,
Dominic

Third Year English Literature and Creative Writing Ambassador at Lancaster University
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hello there,

I've just finished my degree in English Literature and Creative Writing actually and I found it incredible. While it can be very daunting to share your work with others I think studying it provides key skills in communication with others, networking and overall becoming more confident in your writing career. At my university students are required to comment on each other's writing; scary? Yes. Rewarding? Yes.
I know of people who have published novels or poetry collections while still studying at my university so the opportunities are endless if you plan to garner a career in that area.

Not only that but my experiences of creative writing have aided my writing ability in my literary degree as the practice of writing constantly and consistently over a wide range of time solidifies a routine. It's a subject that provides writing and technical skills that you can apply in your CV and job applications to really make you stand out from the crowd. Careers aren't restricted to teaching or journalism etc. These degrees can get you into so much more: law, proof reading, advertisements, game scripts, movie scripts. My uni has four student-run literary journals produced by students that people can join alongside the degree to gain even more literary skills to apply on your CV.

Hope this helped,
Dominic

Third Year English Literature and Creative Writing Ambassador at Lancaster University

Congratulations!
This sounds really appealing - thank you so much! What is a typical work day like?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending