The Student Room Group
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website

UAL's low ranking putting me off

Just took a look at a bunch of different rankings and was surprised to see UAL ranks very low on them all (for a summary, look under the rankings section on UAL's wiki - 'The University of the Arts London received an overall ranking of 67 out of 124 in the 2014 Complete University Guide league tables, down from 48th place in 2013 and 59th in the 2012 ranking. It was ranked 102nd out of 124 for graduate prospects, and 123rd out of 124 for student satisfaction with teaching.' Especially for graduate prospects. This concerns me as i'm still debating whether to choose either Camberwell or LCC for photography BA, or Edinburgh.

Should I be alarmed at how low UAL ranks?
UAL entrance
University of the Arts London
London
Visit website
Reply 2
Ive been thinking the same thing, they are really bad on that website! I looked on another and it said that UAL came 5th best in the world I'm confused
Reply 3
You shouldn't use statistics and tables for choosing Uni in my opinion. If you enjoy the place which you're going to be studying at (of course there are many different factors in deciding this) and like the teaching methods of your future lecturers then that should be your main driving force. If you're passionate about Art & Design and anything in between then UAL is a great place for someone like you. UAL is a very good institute to have on your CV/Portfolio once you're out there in the real world of Art & Design. Hope this is of any help :smile: Enjoy.
Reply 4
Original post by Patryk_G
You shouldn't use statistics and tables for choosing Uni in my opinion. If you enjoy the place which you're going to be studying at (of course there are many different factors in deciding this) and like the teaching methods of your future lecturers then that should be your main driving force. If you're passionate about Art & Design and anything in between then UAL is a great place for someone like you. UAL is a very good institute to have on your CV/Portfolio once you're out there in the real world of Art & Design. Hope this is of any help :smile: Enjoy.

Hmm, yeah thats true. I guess all uni's have good and bad points. Have you been to UAL? I wanna see how the people have found it being their.
Reply 5
Original post by CJayeN
Hmm, yeah thats true. I guess all uni's have good and bad points. Have you been to UAL? I wanna see how the people have found it being their.

No, however I have accepted my unconditional offer from LCC to study BA Sound Arts & Design, so I will be starting at UAL in September.

3 of my friends have graduated from LCC, CSM & LCF respectively and have only told me positive stories which actually inspired me to apply to University in the first place as it was not in my plans at all. 2 of them are now employed/self-employed in the art & design sector & the other is doing a postgraduate course at LCC :smile:

I would recommend going to open days etc. to get a feel for it, as obviously we are two different people so my personal opinion can only help you so much!
Reply 6
Original post by Patryk_G
No, however I have accepted my unconditional offer from LCC to study BA Sound Arts & Design, so I will be starting at UAL in September.

3 of my friends have graduated from LCC, CSM & LCF respectively and have only told me positive stories which actually inspired me to apply to University in the first place as it was not in my plans at all. 2 of them are now employed/self-employed in the art & design sector & the other is doing a postgraduate course at LCC :smile:

I would recommend going to open days etc. to get a feel for it, as obviously we are two different people so my personal opinion can only help you so much!

I am going to go to an open day soon, that should give me a good idea weather I want to go or not

Thanks!
Cjaye

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending