The Student Room Group

University Guidance Appreciated

Hi, I would really appreciate some guidance. My name is Daphne. I have just turned 20 and am in my first year of undergraduate university. I am currently studying English Literature and Publishing at Bath Spa University. However, I have the grades to apply for a much higher-ranked university (equivalent of A*A*A*). I chose the course at Bath Spa because I could study publishing, however I am concerned that the low-ranking of my university will put me at a disadvantage. Would it be better to transfer in second year to study English Literature at a higher-ranking university, or to continue with my degree in English Literature and Publishing? Any advice or guidance would really be appreciated. I would be able to transfer into second year at the other university. 🤍
(edited 6 months ago)
Transferring would normally mean restarting from year one. You’d be better off arranging a placement year as part of your current course if you have a definite aim of working in publishing instead of restarting on a less industry relevant course
Reply 2
Original post by daphnefrancis
Hi, I would really appreciate some guidance. My name is Daphne. I have just turned 20 and am in my first year of undergraduate university. I am currently studying English Literature and Publishing at Bath Spa University. However, I have the grades to apply for a much higher-ranked university (equivalent of A*A*A*). I chose the course at Bath Spa because I could study publishing, however I am concerned that the low-ranking of my university will put me at a disadvantage. Would it be better to transfer in second year to study English Literature at a higher-ranking university, or to continue with my degree in English Literature and Publishing? Any advice or guidance would really be appreciated 🤍

Original post by PQ
Transferring would normally mean restarting from year one. You’d be better off arranging a placement year as part of your current course if you have a definite aim of working in publishing instead of restarting on a less industry relevant course

Thank you for your response. I would be able to transfer into second year at the other university.
Thank you for your response. I would be able to transfer into second year at the other university.

Are you sure about that? - it's unusual for universities to have perfectly matching modules for first year, particularly if you're moving from a combined course to a single honours one.

Do you have a UCAS offer for year 2 entry from them?
Reply 4
Original post by PQ
Are you sure about that? - it's unusual for universities to have perfectly matching modules for first year, particularly if you're moving from a combined course to a single honours one.

Do you have a UCAS offer for year 2 entry from them?

Yep.
Yep.

I'm not sure why you're asking for guidance then? You seem set on what you want to do
Reply 6
Original post by PQ
I'm not sure why you're asking for guidance then? You seem set on what you want to do

I am not sure at all. As I said in my query, I am asking what would be better for publishing.
I would think a publishing degree from a decent uni with a relevant placement is going to trump a less closely related degree from a 'better' ranked uni. I'm not aware that publishing really cares about ranking that much, (most sectors don't).

You've also got to factor in the disruption of transferring and the fact that your modules from day 1 will contribute to your classification.
I am not sure at all. As I said in my query, I am asking what would be better for publishing.

I'd recommend a degree with a focus on publishing and the opportunity for a placement year in publishing would be better prep for a publishing job than a theory heavy and less industry focused degree elsewhere

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending