The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
yeh i didnt bother with subheadings.
think itl be alright though.
did question 2 for the essay and im regretting it now.
i thought that it was difficult to find any strengths of the current position.
Also, that you couldnt really pick on strategy, but lots of little ones. What did everyone say? Also, constantly referring back to wanting to achieve 15% return on capital in five years was annoying and tedious. Thought the essays were ok..i did the one on HP factory moving to The Netherlands.
Reply 22
what did u put for question four about heinz movin to the netherlands?
For each stakeholder i did a paragraph about how it would benefit or cause problems for them. Then evaluated it with depends upon stakeholder, how large £25m is in relation to total costs, how easily staff which lose their jobs can get new ones and economic conditions.
Reply 24
Can i just ask for the report how many strength and weaknesses you mentioned?
I mentioned around 4 strengths and about 6/7 weaknesses of the company - the company had a LOT of weaknesses.
Reply 26
I did he heinz one too...i thought it was the easiest as there was so much to write about. I ran out of time though so i will lose so many marks for evaulation :frown:. I was so chuffed with the report i thought it was really good. :smile:

I did three stregnths and three weaknesses and then three recommendations...i was planning to do four but i had to move onto my essay and didn't have time to go back to it.

Overall i'm quite happy about that exam...i feel less pressure for the next one. :smile:

Sub headings don't matter but you will lose 5 easy marks for not doing them.
Reply 27
what did everyone put as some of the main strengths and weaknesses? i did the HP question and thought it was the easiest to do, just evaluating different stakeholder groups but i think i totally screwed up the report
Reply 28
thought it was ok.... der was a lot to writ about i just found it difficult picking out which bits go where, my strengths were their gearing wasgood so if they wanted to get better training they could take out a loan, and the 2nd one was that the exchange rate looked good to advertise in ameriica and it was cheaper for the EU visitors to spend here so it might be an idea to advertise there.
my weaknesses were the OBVIOUS labur turnover problem o i mentioned better motivation there and the othr weaknesses was the capacity utilisation problem. i think i messed the report up though im just not sure.
i did the starbucks question ... nowhere here seems to have done that but loads of people in my college did dat one ...im not sure about any of it now so il jus have to wait and see i guess :confused:
Reply 29
I can't really remember but i think one of my strengths was to do with their financial position. One of my weakness was to do with high labour turnover.
Reply 30
k well i got that strengths: good euro exchange rate, better for EU visitors to come, could advertise in EU, american exchange rate wasnt very good, may mean less US visitors, low gearing, hotel in oxford was doin the best
weakenesses: labour turnover, lots of complaints (400 for one of the hotels), rise in EU visistors to the UK but fall in them visiting the hotels

i really messed up on interpreting the financial data, what did people say about liquidity, trunover, profit ect???
Strengths:

Low Gearing
Increasing annual room occupancy
Interest rates lower
Increasing foreign tourists
High turnover

Weaknesses

Large amount of current assets in unprofitable form
Net profit was negative, indicates indirect and direct costs arent controlled
high labour turnover - reflects poor customer service (customer complaints etc)
Marketing expenditure low
Capital spent on refurb low

Theres just some ideas to what I put
Reply 32
I got 5 strengths and 4 weaknesses, and then 2 recommendations.

If you didn't put headings/numbers or the Date/To/From/Reference Number at the top, you lost out on the marks for the report style.

I found the essay really hard, but that's because we've not done a single essay in class all year.
krus1
k well i got that strengths: good euro exchange rate, better for EU visitors to come, could advertise in EU, american exchange rate wasnt very good, may mean less US visitors, low gearing, hotel in oxford was doin the best
weakenesses: labour turnover, lots of complaints (400 for one of the hotels), rise in EU visistors to the UK but fall in them visiting the hotels

i really messed up on interpreting the financial data, what did people say about liquidity, trunover, profit ect???

The liquidity of the firm was good - it could meet its short term debts, however, it was holding too much in the form of current assets and this is unprofitable.

Turnover was high - but Net Profit was negative, therefore the company wasn't controlling its Direct + Indirect costs etc etc
Reply 34
2 strengths - Low Geared
- Good liquidity position 2:1
2 weaknes - high staff turnover
- ineffective marketing
I think I did alright on the report. Certainly did well on the essay. Also did Heinz, it just kept flowing and flowing. Was really easy, though I somehow forgot suppliers from stakeholders. I did mention 6 though even if I did miss a really obvious point..
For Heinz I mentioned

Customers - Price elastic market, could benefit from a lower price if Heinz reduce them (as they'd recieve higher sales) Although some may reject Heinz as its acting unethical etc
Managers - Reduced costs, more money for reinvestment etc - could be concerned with corporate image after shifting production
Shareholders - If retained profit is distributed to shareholders then they cud receive higher dividends
Employees - loss of jobs, loss in disposable income - economy could collapse in local region if they rely on the factory heavily
Suppliers - Could face closure if they rely on the sales from Heinz
Reply 37
k thanks, i put the liquidity was good but net profit was negative but should have developed my points further, i think ive got quite a lot of the points here, im beginning to calm down now and not think i failed the report, thanks guys! what did you comment on about the economic situation, i think i got slightly confused about the effects of exhange rates in relation to $ to £ and Euros to £s
Reply 38
i wrote about the negative net profit but i didnt mention the liquidity thing, you think that was really important, i was aware of it i just 4got as i was writing.. oops
I calculated the acid test at 2:1 by using the figures - do you think you will gain extra credit for that?

Latest

Trending

Trending