The Student Room Group

Doing a nursing degree with a NVQ 3

I am considering doing a nursing degree, I have good experience as a senior carer in a nursing home and have a NVQ 3. Would this be enough to get me into a nursing degree? Has anyone else been accepted this way? I don't have many GCSEs but have functional skills level 2 in maths and English
Original post by vincentm94
I am considering doing a nursing degree, I have good experience as a senior carer in a nursing home and have a NVQ 3. Would this be enough to get me into a nursing degree? Has anyone else been accepted this way? I don't have many GCSEs but have functional skills level 2 in maths and English

Most unis have stopped accepting functional skills for entry and not many accept NVQ's, you d have much more available to you by doing an access course to be honest.
Ad Claire has said above, many universities do not accept functional skills.
You would also need to have recent study as many universities need this to be within a certain time frame, ie 2-5 years.
It's best to have a look at where you want to apply and contact those universities for any advice and guidance to see what they could advise.
You sound like you have good experience etc but when applying to nursing, you need to discuss how that experience has helped and how you can utilise that.
Best of luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest