The Student Room Group

Can feminists stop claiming that feminism stands for gender equality

We all know that gender inequality hurt both men and women. Social expectations or stereotypes attached to men and women can be quite patronizing especially if you dont fit those expectations. Moreover underespresentation of men and women in certain areas need to be defeated.

Feminism has always claimed to be about gender equality by empowering women and fighting for women rights (representation of women, defeat gender stereotypes attached to women..),

BUT I have rarely if not never seen a women standing for the underpresentation of men in certain careers areas like carer or florist. Furthermore, feminist never tend to touch on issues that hurt men mentally, like the expectation to be masculine. A lot of feminist tend to argue that women are judged on the basis of their weight in the workforce, but they never tend to talk about the fact that short men face similar discrimination.

AND the most important one and the one that gets to me is the fact men are openly discriminated when it comes to child custody. In fact feminist support the idea that children should be taken away from fathers, simply because they have a penis.

So what I am trying to say is that Feminism does not equality,
Feminism simply mean women empowerment, which is fine in itself, but please stop claiming that you stand for gender equality, because then you would also tackle and touch on issues that men have to face

Thank You
You may attack me and insult me now
(edited 7 years ago)
men will always be superior to women
we need to preserve the greatest creation in the universe: the male race
Thank you for the series of massive generalisations. Good read. :yy:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
No. The feminist movement stood for equality. Most do not agree with the rise of the neo-feminist views which seem to promote special treatment of women. Don't stick them together.
Reply 4
Men are hurt by the expectation to be masculine?

Lol.

The men who are "hurt" by such expectations have no reason to exist and are oxygen thieves.

What really is the case is that more and more WOMEN are increasingly incapable of fulfilling their female duties - which they instinctively value to a great extent - and so project this onto men - who don't really care at all what society thinks about them, in general. 99% of women have reproduced in history, but only 25% of men have. Men don't nearly care as much about society's expectations as women do, because men have evolved to be individual agents and women have evolved to be social ones.

These feminists don't give two $s about "men being hurt." They only care that they know they are failures and they want someone to assuage their self-hatred with calming platitudes: "You go girl!" "Bossy is beautiful" :blah::blahblah:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by KaminiZindagi
We all know that gender inequality hurt both men and women. Social expectations or stereotypes attached to men and women can be quite patronizing especially if you dont fit those expectations. Moreover underespresentation of men and women in certain areas need to be defeated.

Feminism has always claimed to be about gender equality by empowering women and fighting for women rights (representation of women, defeat gender stereotypes attached to women..),

BUT I have rarely if not never seen a women standing for the underpresentation of men in certain careers areas like carer or florist. Furthermore, feminist never tend to touch on issues that hurt men mentally, like the expectation to be masculine. A lot of feminist tend to argue that women are judged on the basis of their weight in the workforce, but they never tend to talk about the fact that short men face similar discrimination.

AND the most important one and the one that gets to me is the fact men are openly discriminated when it comes to child custody. In fact feminist support the idea that children should be taken away from fathers, simply because they have a penis.

Feminism simply mean women empowerment, which is fine in itself, but please stop claiming that you stand for gender equality, because then you would also tackle and touch on issues that men have to face

Thank You

Actually they do mention those things
The expectation to be masculine they say shows men are scum
Child custody is because of patriarchy
Original post by joecphillips
Actually they do mention those things
The expectation to be masculine they say shows men are scum
Child custody is because of patriarchy

??
Original post by 41b
Men are hurt by the expectation to be masculine?

Lol.

The men who are "hurt" by such expectations have no reason to exist and are oxygen thieves.

What really is the case is that more and more WOMEN are increasingly incapable of fulfilling their female duties - which they instinctively value to a great extent - and so project this onto men - who don't really care at all what society thinks about them, in general. 99% of women have reproduced in history, but only 25% of men have. Men really don't nearly as much about society's expectations as women do, because men have evolved to be individual agents and women have evolved to be social ones.

These don't give two $s about "men being hurt." They only care that they know they are failures and they want someone to assuage their self-hatred with calming platitudes: "You go girl!" "Bossy is beautiful" :blah::blahblah:

I meant thins like " Be a man" or " Dont be a crybaby".
Reply 8
??

I put in misogyny by mistake if you saw that
Patriarchy because it is a way of saying women are better carers than men and should stay at home or something like that
They ignore the fact that an actual patriarchy would mean they lose the children.
Okay, so I wouldn't define myself as a feminist, and some things about some feminists I definitely disagree with, and it's true that some people do abuse and manipulate the movement for their own gain. But hear me out.

Social movements shouldn't be about a contest to see which group has it worse. There are bad things about being a woman in our society, and there are bad things about being a man. Both need to be corrected In order to achieve equality. I think most people would agree with me up to this point.

So why I think "feminism" is the correct word for the movement is because all this inequality, on both sides, is rooted in misogyny. For example, why aren't male rape victims taken seriously? Because our culture loves to associate masculinity with a constant desire to have sex. So if a man didn't want to have sex, and if he was too weak to fight off a rapist, then his masculinity is called into question, and so he is seen as feminine.This results in him not being taken seriously because a man who isn't masculine is a joke, because our society equates femininity with weakness and worthlessness.

This also results in stupid archaic beliefs like "you shouldn't hit women." That idea is technically true, but it's only true because you shouldn't hit anybody. It's stupid to suggest that something about being born with a vagina makes you not ok to hit. For some reason we carry on believing that if a man doesn't like being hit, that means he is feminine and therefore weak.

The best way to correct men's issues and women's issues is to get our society to reconsider how it feels about women and femininity. Hence "feminism," a movement for equality between genders.

I know not all feminists will agree with me on some of these things, but the majority of third wave feminists who I have spoken to, in person, do.
Original post by Straighthate
men will always be superior to women
we need to preserve the greatest creation in the universe: the male race

Exactly.
Original post by saladays
x

It's not that society has anything against femininity, just feminine men. The same way it doesn't have anything against masculinity, but masculine women.
I think they're residual views from when people did have to conform to gender/sex roles because otherwise society would've died.

Women aren't hated by society, they never have been. Not even in ancient times. The problem with a movement comprised almost entirely of one gender, is that most of them only ever see it from their own perspective
Rampant feminism- the desire to do anything without accepting the requisite obligations and responsibilities these actions bring
Reply 13

Thank You

Women in Victorian society had no rights to their own children. The man owned all property and rights to posession of their children, and could take them without even going to court. It is not until relatively recently that women have slightly better measures in place to keep their children than men. The shift that you claim is so unfair, is a direct result of some Victorian men abusing their legislative power.

Whilst I do believe that the 'most capable' parent should retain the most rights to the children in a split, I think you have oversimplified the legislation and failed to look at the History associated with infant custody.

If you feel it's unfair, go out and campaign. If you aren't prepared to do that, then why are you wasting time debating it here?

Quick Reply

Latest