The Student Room Group

(A Level Politics / Feminism) Help with 2 questions

Hi, I haven't completed feminism yet but could anyone help me with what points, structure or thinkers I'd go about doing this?

To what extent do feminists agree over human nature? (24)
To what extent do feminists agree that the patriarchy is based on human nature? (24)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Reply 2
Original post by IshUddin12
Hi, I haven't completed feminism yet but could anyone help me with what points, structure or thinkers I'd go about doing this?

To what extent do feminists agree over human nature? (24)
To what extent do feminists agree that the patriarchy is based on human nature? (24)

p1- feminism (radical and social) agrees on gender being a social construct
- charlotte perkins gil - gendered toys enforce this from a young age
- Simone de buvoouire - one is not born but becomes a woman

p2- disagreement w equal and diff feminists
- difference feminists- women's nature of care/nurture is dif from men's but they believe in essentialism (qualities dif but equal or better than men) this is fixed, men's behavior is also fixed/too prone to violence and therefore so is the patriarchy, therefore would support the idea of separate but equal to escape patriarchy- women communes , like 'jinwar' a women-only commune in the middle east
- as opposed to equality feminists - separation would just let the culture of male dom persist outside of the commune as well as limiting opportunities for women communes just adding plaster what is rlly needed is smashing of patriarchy - androgeny - men and women the same
however this is only small section of feminism

p3- ultimately - most feminists accept that the patriarchy needs to be overthrown so women true human nature can flourish
revolution - social and radical Shelia - patriarchy is perpetuated by patriarchy but pat would still happen without it
radicals - patriarchy can be overthrown w culture raising - kate millet - a cultural and sexual revolution needed for human nature to flourish- including the abolishing of the nuclear fam
lib - patriarchy is problem in public sphere and would focus on reform via legislation
intersections - bell hooks- women to flourish w abolishing of feminism but also other factors- race poverty exec
all accept removing patriarchy is a step to women empowerment despite diff ways of achieving this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending