The Student Room Group

Edexcel AS 8 markers

I was just attempting a few practise long answer questions and was a bit stuck on one of the questions. The question was "Compare two theories of obedience". And I'm not really too sure where to start. Any help would be appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
if you've been studying theories of obedience, then pick your two favourites :smile:
i'd go for something like milgram's agency theory and compare it to an authoritarian personality

4 marks would be given for description so i'd write out the description for agency theory, and then the description for authoritarian personality

points you could compare them on;
agency theory says we are all brought up from a young age to obey and be in an agentic state, whereas authoritarian personality would say that people who experience harsh upbringings are more likely to obey those they see as legitimate authority

agency theory says that the authority figure must be perceived as legitimate (eg uniform) and in control of the situation. similarly, someone with an authoritarian personality would want to please those they see of higher status and obey those they see as in higher authority to them.

both theories can be used to explain the holocaust, for example agency theory would say that those in an agentic state would pass the consequences of their actions onto the authority figure and would obey them. authoritarian personality would say that they would be hostile towards people of inferior status and excessively willing to please those of higher status, and so would obey the nazi commanders orders.

i hope this helps a little!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending