The Student Room Group

GCSE History Study Group 2022-2023

Welcome to the GCSE History Study Group!

This is where you can chat to others students taking your subject as you prepare for your GCSE exams this summer.

What can I do in these groups?

Almost anything! If you need help with a certain topic, want to rant about something you are struggling with or just want to support other students who are trying to prepare, this is the place for you. We want these to be a useful place for everyone no matter what you're looking for!

What can't I do in these groups?

Asking or offering copyright papers is against our site rules, and so is taking conversation off-site to do these things. Any posts doing this will be removed. That's the only rule

Ice Breaker questions if you want to use them!

> What exam board are you on? (Vote in the poll as well!)

> What bits of the course are you feeling confident with?

> What areas are you struggling with a little?

> Have you found any resources online that have helped you prepare?

Specifications and Advance Information:

AQA Spec

Edexcel Spec

OCR A Spec

OCR B Spec

Eduqas Spec

Good luck with the next few months. Remember, ask for help, support where you can and together we can do this!

Scroll to see replies

Keeping this space for a list of resources or study tools that are recommended in this thread:
hi can anyone please give me literally any help with history ohmygod it's the subject i struggle with the most because there is so much content and my brain can simply not take it in and understand it😭 my exam board is AQA and the topics are america 1920-1973, the interwar years, health and the people, and elizabethen england. im currently getting 1s and 2s but i really want at least a 6 as it's my predicted grade!!
Original post by heartfhuls
hi can anyone please give me literally any help with history ohmygod it's the subject i struggle with the most because there is so much content and my brain can simply not take it in and understand it😭 my exam board is AQA and the topics are america 1920-1973, the interwar years, health and the people, and elizabethen england. im currently getting 1s and 2s but i really want at least a 6 as it's my predicted grade!!

hey! im doing edexcel history and i am doing medecine throughout time, the cold war, anglo saxon england and hitler’s rise to power - i understand that this is completely different but ive got a predicted 9 and have been getting 9s so what i would recommend is making and then using quizlets. our teacher makes packs of condensed notes and with all the key info and i put it all into a quizlet. except for the cold war i made actual flash cards so i can put them in order of dates to remember the order.

also, memorise the essay structures, im not sure how the aqa papers are but trust me, memorise the essay structures to get optimum number of marks.

in the edexcel papers, they just want you to show some key info and random facts on the topics (not random but you know what i mean), so just remember some names, dates and figures to through into your essay.

i understand if this is useless for your spec but i just wanted to try and help, soo… GOOD LUCK!! (:
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by heartfhuls

Hi, I'm doing aqa history and predicted an 8. I'm doing hitler rise to power, elizabethan england, interwar years and medicine thought time. I've found the BBC teach videos really helpful as most of them are aqa. I also just watch any summary videos that i can find on youtube e.g 10 minute history or Science and Maths by Primrose Kitten does really detailed ones. And then either make notes on a whiteboard and then go through them or make flash cards as i watch the video.
Can give you help with interwar years and America - have flashcards for both but they are for CIE iGCSE not AQA. I think that there’s a lot of content in common tho so can’t hurt
Original post by miss.ghost
hey! im doing edexcel history and i am doing medecine throughout time, the cold war, anglo saxon england and hitler’s rise to power - i understand that this is completely different but ive got a predicted 9 and have been getting 9s so what i would recommend is making and then using quizlets. our teacher makes packs of condensed notes and with all the key info and i put it all into a quizlet. except for the cold war i made actual flash cards so i can put them in order of dates to remember the order.

also, memorise the essay structures, im not sure how the aqa papers are but trust me, memorise the essay structures to get optimum number of marks.

in the edexcel papers, they just want you to show some key info and random facts on the topics (not random but you know what i mean), so just remember some names, dates and figures to through into your essay.

i understand if this is useless for your spec but i just wanted to try and help, soo… GOOD LUCK!! (:

Hi, funnily enough I'm doing the exact same papers as you and i was wondering how you write the 16/8 markers cause I'm predicted a 7 but i need to push it to an 8 for my new predicted grades, currently all I'm doing is watching vids on the topic, reviewing my notes and answering some questions. Getting higher marks in the 8/16 marker would push my grade to an 8, maybe a 9, so if u can please tell me how you would structure the 8/16 markers.

thank you, in advance
Original post by rayhxn97
Hi, funnily enough I'm doing the exact same papers as you and i was wondering how you write the 16/8 markers cause I'm predicted a 7 but i need to push it to an 8 for my new predicted grades, currently all I'm doing is watching vids on the topic, reviewing my notes and answering some questions. Getting higher marks in the 8/16 marker would push my grade to an 8, maybe a 9, so if u can please tell me how you would structure the 8/16 markers.

thank you, in advance

hey!! and thats so funny!! we haven’t covered all the topics and im not even sure if we have covered all the exam paper question so far but ive made this quizlet on how to structure the questions in the medecine and hitler’s rise to power papers, but all 16 markers and 12 markers are structured pretty much the same (cant remember if 8 markers are sorry).

this is the quizlet: https://quizlet.com/gb/759214756/writing-history-essays-flash-cards/?i=34rwjm&x=1jqY

and how you structure a 16 marker is with this:
- Intro
- 2 para for you point
- 1 para against your point
- Conclusion

and for each para explaining points:
- opening sentence
- explain using own knowledge
- link to the question (/ link to your previous paragraphs if suitable)
- explain further using own knowledge
- link to question

and im not sure which 8 markers you are talking about but for usefulness 8 markers like the ones in the weimar germany paper:
- 2 paragraphs

in each para:
- opening sentence
- link to question

i hope this helps!! and feel free to pm me (:
good luck with everything and i hope you get that 9!!!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 8
Original post by miss.ghost
hey!! and thats so funny!! we haven’t covered all the topics and im not even sure if we have covered all the exam paper question so far but ive made this quizlet on how to structure the questions in the medecine and hitler’s rise to power papers, but all 16 markers and 12 markers are structured pretty much the same (cant remember if 8 markers are sorry).

this is the quizlet: https://quizlet.com/gb/759214756/writing-history-essays-flash-cards/?i=34rwjm&x=1jqY

and how you structure a 16 marker is with this:
- Intro
- 2 para for you point
- 1 para against your point
- Conclusion

and for each para explaining points:
- opening sentence
- link to the question (/ link to your previous paragraphs if suitable)
- explain further using own knowledge
- link to question

and im not sure which 8 markers you are talking about but for usefulness 8 markers like the ones in the weimar germany paper:
- 2 paragraphs

in each para:
- opening sentence
- link to question

i hope this helps!! and feel free to pm me (:
good luck with everything and i hope you get that 9!!!

i'm in y12 decided to just pop in here to see how it's going, i got a 9 in edexcel history and second all of this advice - make sure you write about things in detail and most importantly read the question!! you'd be surprised by how many people go into autopilot and start writing about something that's totally irrelevant to the time period given in the question.
Reply 9
Original post by zeasea
i'm in y12 decided to just pop in here to see how it's going, i got a 9 in edexcel history and second all of this advice - make sure you write about things in detail and most importantly read the question!! you'd be surprised by how many people go into autopilot and start writing about something that's totally irrelevant to the time period given in the question.

also happy to provide advice for edexcel history in the following topics if anyone wants it:
- weimar and nazi germany
- medicine through time + ww1
- anglo-saxon and norman england

good luck everyone and happy studying!
Original post by zeasea
also happy to provide advice for edexcel history in the following topics if anyone wants it:

PLEASE give me any notes you have for all those topics cause im doing the exact same topics and exam board
Original post by zeasea

Do you have any study tips for history? I am currently working at a 7, predicted a 7 this summer and want to get a 9. I revise history for 3 hours a week. :smile:
Original post by propergoodman
Do you have any study tips for history? I am currently working at a 7, predicted a 7 this summer and want to get a 9. I revise history for 3 hours a week. :smile:

get your exam technique down. i used the peel structure - point, evidence, explain, link. make sure you're going into enough detail and actually linking it to the question. your 'link' section should basically be a summary of the rest of your paragraph as a direct answer to the question. do as many practice questions as you can and have your teacher mark them if you can, as they probably know how to mark better than you do and can give you specific advice.
Original post by zeasea
get your exam technique down. i used the peel structure - point, evidence, explain, link. make sure you're going into enough detail and actually linking it to the question. your 'link' section should basically be a summary of the rest of your paragraph as a direct answer to the question. do as many practice questions as you can and have your teacher mark them if you can, as they probably know how to mark better than you do and can give you specific advice.

Thanks
anyone have any idea how to answer12 and 8 mark questions on a germany edexcel paper, i have a practise paper tuesday and have no idea of the structure!!
Original post by jlo14532
anyone have any idea how to answer12 and 8 mark questions on a germany edexcel paper, i have a practise paper tuesday and have no idea of the structure

whats ur grade for gcs edexcel history mines a 7:smile: im working for a 8/9 in summer
whats ur grade for gcs edexcel history mines a 7:smile: im working for a 8/9 in summer

im predicted an 8 by end of yr 11 next yr (im in yr 10) im working for a grade 8/9 aswell!
im predicted an 8 by end of yr 11 next yr (im in yr 10) im working for a grade 8/9 aswell!

Im in year 11 so my exams are in may / june
Im in year 11 so my exams are in may / june

oh wow, good luckk
oh wow, good luckk

do u have revision timetable and if so how many hours a week do you revise history? i revise 4 hours a week

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending