The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Plz sumone help lol
Reply 2
That's a very vague question! You could talk about anything. Are you sure it isn't something like Compare and contrast utilitarianism with the ethics of the religion you have studied with regard to the issue of abortion, or something?
Reply 3
Nope thas what confused me as well lol which is why i was struggling but i managed to make a plan just about lol not sayin its good though lol

Becca xx
Reply 4
Well if you chose Christianity as your religion I suppose you could mention the views of modern Utiliarians such as Peter Singer -> He thinks that Quality of Life is more important than Sanctity of Life. He would not distinguish too much between humans and animals, in fact a chimpanzee may be worth more than a handicapped baby as it has more developed powers of reasoning. Contrast their views with Christianity, where humans have intrinsic value because they are created in the image of God: 'So God created man in his own image' (Genesis 1:27); 'Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed; for in the image of God has God made them' (Genesis 9:6).

Then discuss the difference between deontology (Christianity) and teleology (Utilitarianism). Utilitarianism values consequences, whereas Christian ethics is deontological (the idea that there are intrinsic rights and wrongs). Then evaluate: consequences are important in decision making BUT we cannot see into the future and may be wrong.

You could also apply the theories to hypothetical issues and say which you consider to be the best approach.

Hope that helps

brown x :smile:
Reply 5
Thanks that was really good
Becca x
Reply 6
Is this what your exam is on tomorrow? I'm so glad I'm not doing Ethics at A2 lol it bores me :p: . edit: weds. I'm getting my days mixed up thats a bad sign :frown:
Reply 7
Lol yeh im doin both ethics and philosophy, i hate the phil half lol, in ethics we have to do practical ethics, freewill and determinism(which i hate lol) and the conscience(which i also hate lol) and for the phil half we have to do: Life after death, revelation, religious language and sumink else which i cant remember off the top of my head lol(which is a very bad sign lol) wot do u do in ur module and y dont u have to do ethics?

Becca x
Reply 8
My module is all about John's Gospel in the New Testament. It's very much like English Literature rather than RS. We basically have to answer questions along the lines of: 'What does this miracle show about the person and work of Jesus?' The topics we've done include miracles such as the Feeding of the 5000, the Holy Spirit, life after death and the crucifixion/resurrection of Jesus.
Reply 9
it's just comparing situation ethics and natural law with utilitarianism. to what extent does the principles of utilitarianism (utility principle, pleasure principle) conform with situation ethics (agape love, 'love thy neighbour'...etc. situation ethics and utilitarianism are both relativist(act utilitarian), they both apply to situations individually, in both the end has to justify the means (teleological) they are both concerned with the greates good (most loving, most pleasure. not exact but shows similarites). NL is not as easily compared because it is absolute and deontological ( the end does not justify the means and if something is wrong it is always wrong). furthermore NL is also concerned with doing the right thing because it is God's will whereas the other two are conerned with doing it because love and pleasure are intrinsically good.

now don't hold me to all of that because im not looking forward to this exam tommorrow as much as everyone else who only started revising a couple of days ago but that is how i would answer it.
if you can include what Mr brown put then that would be good too but i haven't seen that in the OCR syllabus and when it refers to christian ethics it does mean NL and SE aswell as any bible stuff which i also don't know.

Latest

Trending

Trending