The Student Room Group

Open Days Advice

I am going to four open days in June and one in July. I am going to look round Leeds, Leeds Beckett, Lincoln, York and Sheffield Hallam. I am applying for adult nursing. Does anyone have any tips or advice for open days? Thankyou in in advance.
Original post by futurenurse99
I am going to four open days in June and one in July. I am going to look round Leeds, Leeds Beckett, Lincoln, York and Sheffield Hallam. I am applying for adult nursing. Does anyone have any tips or advice for open days? Thankyou in in advance.

Do your research online about the way they run their courses first. That'll give you time to process the information and then think about the questions you want to ask. If you're hearing all the information for the first time at the open day, you're likely to only think of things you want to ask after you've gone - if that makes sense? Take a list of questions with you.

Speak lots to the students who are there - ideally some nursing students. (Other students won't be able to give you an accurate impression of what nursing is really like as it's so different to other degrees).

Don't go alone. Have people who know you well and whose advice you trust go with you. Ask them what they think and get their perspective.

Take a pen and paper to make notes! You could even snap some pictures on your phone if that will help you remember stuff too :smile:

Keep your options open... I don't know if you're set on adult nursing but it was only really by randomnly wandering into a nursing talk at an open day that made me research it more and then choose it. I was originally at the open day to look at Paramedic Science!!

Take advantage of all the free stuff!

Hope that helps. Enjoy the open days!
Original post by PaediatricStN
Do your research online about the way they run their courses first. That'll give you time to process the information and then think about the questions you want to ask. If you're hearing all the information for the first time at the open day, you're likely to only think of things you want to ask after you've gone - if that makes sense? Take a list of questions with you.

Speak lots to the students who are there - ideally some nursing students. (Other students won't be able to give you an accurate impression of what nursing is really like as it's so different to other degrees).

Don't go alone. Have people who know you well and whose advice you trust go with you. Ask them what they think and get their perspective.

Take a pen and paper to make notes! You could even snap some pictures on your phone if that will help you remember stuff too :smile:

Keep your options open... I don't know if you're set on adult nursing but it was only really by randomnly wandering into a nursing talk at an open day that made me research it more and then choose it. I was originally at the open day to look at Paramedic Science!!

Take advantage of all the free stuff!

Hope that helps. Enjoy the open days!

I am definately set on adult nursing. It's always been something for me. Right I'll get some questions planned out. Thankyou very much! :smile:
Reply 3
Hey first year adult nursing student from Lincoln uni here, when you are on your open day ask loads of questions the people showing you around are mainly lecturers and they love it( not to mention at the university of lincoln our lecturers have great memories so when they are showing you around the campus and they spot someone on the nursing course,they will drag them over for you to ask questions), go to as many talks as possible, and after you've looked around the campus go look around the city to see if you like the feel of it as there's no point going to a uni you love if you hate the city
Hey, Amanda from BCU here!To help you, we've put together a list of things to do at an Open Day to help you get the most out of your day: www.bcu.ac.uk/get-most-from-open-day
It includes stuff like seeing facilities, accommodation and making sure you speak to current students.
Original post by Guinevera
Hey first year adult nursing student from Lincoln uni here, when you are on your open day ask loads of questions the people showing you around are mainly lecturers and they love it( not to mention at the university of lincoln our lecturers have great memories so when they are showing you around the campus and they spot someone on the nursing course,they will drag them over for you to ask questions), go to as many talks as possible, and after you've looked around the campus go look around the city to see if you like the feel of it as there's no point going to a uni you love if you hate the city

Thankyou!! I will definitely do that x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending