The Student Room Group

Diary of a Foyle Young Poet...

Hullo, my name is Ian, and I was one of the Foyle Young Poets last year, and I've been asked to post here about the competition.

Foyle Young Poets, by the by, is an international poetry competition for peeps aged 11-17, with the prize of a writing workshop week in The Hurst Arvon Centre, in Shropshire, with the judges and other 14 winners, No theme limits, either. And it's free! Pretty rad, to say the least.

You can enter here, find the rules here and also I wrote a diary-like thing about my experience, which you can find here.

Also I know this technically isn't the place to post your own stuff, but below is my winning poem (which you can also read here on the Poetry Society website, if you want) in case you were curious:

The Snails Move Out

Rain made the spiral houses
part away from each other
on gelatinous railways.
A town disbanded.

They migrated
across the pavement with
staircases on their backs.

Slugging through pools of their own body,
their Golden Ratios were crushed by feet
from above.

Living-rooms flooded in downpour,
a tear-drop apocalypse.
Fibonacci caved in.

The mangled fluid turned clay-red.
The others had to go,
before the eels they built their houses on
swam away in the flying water.

-

So yeah, cheers for reading all of this, and I hope you all enter! The deadline is the 31st of July, so plenty of time.

It's pretty damn electric, honestly, the whole experience: going to London (although that might not be so amazing if you live in London, unlike a Scotsman like myself), the ceremony, the week away... if you're into this sort of thing it's definitely worth a shot :3
that is really interesting Ian. i am sure that there will be many young odemongers on TSR who would like to take part in the competition.

the font is a bit strange :dontknow:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending