The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Hey everyone, not sure if I’ve posted already in this thread but I really would appreciate some advice on which unis to apply to. Currently in my final year of biomed.
A levels - ABC
UKCAT - 705 band 1

Thank you!
Hi there,

I am in my third year of my biomedical science undergraduate degree, but will be applying for mostly undergraduate. I just wanted to ask what your thoughts are on these universities and any other places to apply for.

I appreciate any help.

If you need my stats they are below.

UKCAT: 690 average (2760) , band 2
GCSE: 4A*s, 6As
A* - CHEM, BIO, PHYSICS, HISTORY
A- MATHS, ENG LANG, ENG LIT, ART, RSP, FRENCH,

Alevels: ABB
A - History, B - Biology, B - Chemistry, also I have an A - EPQ

Predicted: 2.1/1st for my degree

Work experience: 1 week at A&E, 1 week at orthopaedics, 1 1/2 years voluntary work at food bank, 3 months at care home, month so far at hospital volunteer, job working with disabled children. Bunch of extra-curricular activities.

Unis thinking about so far: Keele, Bristol, Leicester, Manchester, Sheffield

I want to apply for QMUL barts, and also Southampton but I am not sure if it is a risk.

Thank you for any help guys.
Hi guys,

I have recently graduated from biomedical science with a 1st class degree. I really want to apply to medicine and have recently sat my UKCAT. I achieved a score of 670 and Band 1. I realise this probably isn't a very good ukcat score, so what unis do you think are my best chance of applying to? I don't mind undergraduate options aswell.

Thanks in advance!
Just thought I'd enter the conversation,

Biomedicine 2:1 graduate 2016
ABB at A Level
702.5 avg Band 2 in UKCAT, 630 in VR
Sat the GAMSAT in September

Currently writing the personal statement but applying to:
Warwick
Nottingham
St George
Swansea
I've received in school the whole way up A grades in my national 5's and got five a-band ones in my highers receiving dux. however, I got a really low UKCAT score of 2280 and I don't really know what to do. I do think I've got a pretty good personal statement with my achievements, work experience and extra curricular activities. I don't know whether its worth applying this year or trying again next year to improve my score. I was thinking of applying to Aberdeen and St Andrews but I'm scared they wont even consider me with that score. needing feedback!! :smile: xx
Been a few years since I've been on this. But here goes

Wanted some advice on my application. Started a medical course back in 2012 but how to withdraw due to financial circumstances. I passed all my assessments at first sitting at my old uni. Started a new (cheaper) course in 2015 (Medical Sciences). Currently in my final year and predicted a first. I know most unis don't consider applicants who have previously withdrawn from a medical course but I'm guessing that's based on the assumption that they were unable to deal with the intensity of the course or failed exams or something. My main question is, do you think my situation will play against me during the application process and how do unis know if you've previously withdrawn from a medical course? is this something I need to be upfront about in my application or do I wait for them to contact me?
Original post by arroncook
Hi!

I'm just coming towards the end of first year Health Sciences, hoping to study medicine as a graduate. :smile: I'm glad there's a thread here. Did you decide after starting biomedical sciences that you wanted to switch to medicine, or was graduate entry always the game plan?

Arron

Hi,
I’m bilogist and decided to study Medicine in Bolivia because it’s cheap and no need entry exams.
Im actually living in Santa Cruz de la Sierra in my 5 semestre.
The fees here is 250 dólares monthly. Y
Always time to change.
Need some help!

How did you add you universities and degree titles to the UCAS education section? I can't seem to find my university on the dropdown menu, its just loaded with colleges and schools! Would really appreciate your advcie as grads

Thanks
Original post by lakhank1
Need some help!

How did you add you universities and degree titles to the UCAS education section? I can't seem to find my university on the dropdown menu, its just loaded with colleges and schools! Would really appreciate your advcie as grads

Thanks

Just type it in. My university wasn't on there either and UCAS told me not to worry about not having an exam centre number for the university.
Original post by Scruffy Jack
Just type it in. My university wasn't on there either and UCAS told me not to worry about not having an exam centre number for the university.

awesome, i've just typed everything in manually and left the exam centre number blank. thank you
Please sign my Parliamentary petition on tuition fees for graduate medics :smile:

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/202381
Hey everyone. Congratulations to all those who have submitted their applications and to all those who have not, it's the final push, we can do it!
However I'm in a little predicament here in terms of my reference and I would really appreciate a little advice. My tutor who knows me really well has been on extended leave so I have not been able to get in touch. I don't know whether it is more beneficial for me to submit a strong character reference I have got off a senior nurse in my work place. Or instead include an academic reference provided by a lecturer who does not know me well and who perhaps also is not necessarily fond of me (she has has declined to share with me the reference she has written for me). I am aware almost all universities require an academic reference but I don't know if I can maybe submit the academic reference (which may not be a true reflection of my character) through UCAS and contact the unis explaining the situation and in addition also post the character reference?
Does anyone have any experience with this or would like to share their thoughts. It would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Final Year Adult Nursing Student applying to Graduate Entry Medicine:

-Predicted 1st Honors (Average 84% Year 2)
-UKCAT 2610 (625.5 average) Band 1
-Experience: 1 week in Oral Maxillofacial Lab, 9 months Volunteering in ED, 3.5 years as a Healthcare Assistant, 2300 hours as a student nurse in 7 different speciality areas

Applying to:

-Warwick
-Birmingham
-Newcastle
-Queen Mary's

I am predicted a 1st class but I am under no illusion that my degree is not as academic as Bio Med for example. I am hoping that my experience in healthcare will help.
Thoughts?
Any other nurses applying?
Reply 193
Original post by Bigeminy-Boy
Final Year Adult Nursing Student applying to Graduate Entry Medicine:

-Predicted 1st Honors (Average 84% Year 2)
-UKCAT 2610 (625.5 average) Band 1
-Experience: 1 week in Oral Maxillofacial Lab, 9 months Volunteering in ED, 3.5 years as a Healthcare Assistant, 2300 hours as a student nurse in 7 different speciality areas

Applying to:

-Warwick
-Birmingham
-Newcastle
-Queen Mary's

I am predicted a 1st class but I am under no illusion that my degree is not as academic as Bio Med for example. I am hoping that my experience in healthcare will help.
Thoughts?
Any other nurses applying?

Sounds like you have a great application, good luck!
Hello, I have started a thread for anyone applying to Oxford Graduate Entry 2018.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5023410#primary_content
Reply 195
PhD Cardiovascular Sciences (due to pass in 2018), with many publications in clinical journals
BSc Biomed 2.1
MSc Biomed Blood Sciences

UKCAT average 685
SJT Band 3

A Levels ABB (Maths, Bio, Chem)

What chances do i have? applied to Birmingham, QUM, Kings and Soton

Its stressful waiting for their verdict but what chances do i have?
Original post by MZI3
PhD Cardiovascular Sciences (due to pass in 2018), with many publications in clinical journals
BSc Biomed 2.1
MSc Biomed Blood Sciences

UKCAT average 685
SJT Band 3

A Levels ABB (Maths, Bio, Chem)

What chances do i have? applied to Birmingham, QUM, Kings and Soton

Its stressful waiting for their verdict but what chances do i have?

Congratulations on your strong academics, what was your UKCAT score breakdown?
Reply 197
Original post by SquareEyes1000
Congratulations on your strong academics, what was your UKCAT score breakdown?

Thank you.

VR 580
AR 750
DA 600
QR 810

The new DA really let me down. i was much better at the older version. VR always troubles me, but its above average.

I just want to know everyones thoughts and the chances of interview/acceptance.

Regards
Zubair
Original post by MZI3
Thank you.

VR 580
AR 750
DA 600
QR 810

The new DA really let me down. i was much better at the older version. VR always troubles me, but its above average.

Regards
Zubair

We’re not medical admissions, just another applicant like you. No matter what anyone says, it will either only give you false hope or it will be brutal honesty, neither of which is going to help. I’d just sit tight and see what happens.
Original post by MZI3
Thank you.

VR 580
AR 750
DA 600
QR 810

Regards
Zubair

I think you may be in with a shot. For a couple of your choices there's little for me to go on though as I don't really know what their process is (Soton is one I know next to nothing about). I do, however, know that they first rank students on their VR score as they see this to be an indicator of academic success in medicine. The SJT is, I believe not used by Soton.

That said, QMUL will rank applications using average scores weighted 50% against academics, from what I understand though they don't accept subsequent degrees for meeting entry criteria, they do count as points in this part of the process, though I may be wrong, so your application may be pretty strong.

King's does something similar but Birmingham I've no idea. Soton aside I think the SJT is used as an interview station/application assessment in varying ways. There is information you can find somewhere about this.

You got 2740 on the UKCAT which this year puts you in the 7th decile (just, you're nearly eighth) so you may do well when it comes to ranking students. You have, however, applied to universities with quite small intakes, the Soton BM4 course is eye wateringly competitive to get into, for example. It's probably not a good idea for any of us to comment on chances of acceptance, as the majority of us have, realistically, no idea. Making it worse for me your extra qualifications throw stuff into the mix that I'm not entirely sure about. I think you've a reasonable shot here but should you not get in this year you'd still have an excellent application for next year. Particularly good is the fact that publications translate to points when it comes to specialization in medicine.

Further to all of that, Universities increaingly hold places on undergraduate courses aside for clearing, 4 medical schools had clearing places available in some capacity this year, it may well happen again next year with the increased student intake, so if all else fails, keep an eye out for that.

Most importantly, good luck with your application and your interviews!
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending