The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm not a grad yet unfortunately. I'm getting lots of contact with patients through the in-patient survey I conduct and soon I'll be a meal time assistant so it will be getting a bit more hands on. I would certainly work as a healthcare assistant but I want to apply this academic year so I don't have to worry about it in my final year and can start straight after I graduate.
Reply 61
does anyone know when the ukcat books for 2018 entry will be published?
so, I'm currently an undergrad- and want to apply for medicine- do I just open up a UCAS application and get started? I don't know any one else in my institution that is also applying and so I have no idea on when it is best to start my application.
Reply 63
Original post by RevisionNad
so, I'm currently an undergrad- and want to apply for medicine- do I just open up a UCAS application and get started? I don't know any one else in my institution that is also applying and so I have no idea on when it is best to start my application.

I'm in the same position, I assume thats what we have to do..
hi everyone

i graduated with a 2:1 in adult nursing in janaury 2017 and now work in ITU as a critical care nurse looking after ventilated patients. i applied for medicine for 2017 entry however was unsuccessful to barts warwick and newcastle (4 and 5 year) due to average of 643 at ukcat which i knew wouldnt get in. applying again this year for 2018 entry and hoping for a place on either 4 or 5 at newcastle.
i revised for about 2 months or the ukcat and got much better over period of time, i felt i was fairly relaxed in my exam and it went ok but could have gone better, got 610 in abstract and verbal and 710 in quantative band 2 in situation judgement.
would be my dream to get onto any course at newcastle, so good luck to anyone :smile: and good luck with ukcat.
newcastle cut off this year was 700 for a100 and 743 for a101 so the cut off went up a lot, warwick havent released their cut off yet as i keep emailing to ask aha,

good luck
Original post by jka3
does anyone know when the ukcat books for 2018 entry will be published?

i preordered the get into medical school 1000 ukcat questions book the other day from amazon however its now 1250 questions and is released the 15th of may
Original post by jka3
I'm in the same position, I assume thats what we have to do..

you apply through ucas when it opens on September 1st until 15th of October
Original post by RevisionNad

you apply through ucas when it opens on September 1st until 15th of October
Original post by Remedy758
If anyone can answer my question would be great!

So I am currently in my second year of study and I graduate in July 2018 and I want to study medicine in September/October 2018 hopefully.

When will I need to start my ucas application?

And how & when do I need to sit my ukcat entry exams by?

ukcat registration opens beginning of may 2017 you can sit the ukcat between july and october. ucas opens 1st of september and you can send your ucas application from then until the 15th of september.
Hey guy a I would like to bring to your attention that from 2018 entry it's confirmed that there will be 500 more undergrad medicine places!

Hopefully this will reduce competition

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/expanding-undergraduate-medical-education
Original post by manicmedic
Hey guy a I would like to bring to your attention that from 2018 entry it's confirmed that there will be 500 more undergrad medicine places!

Hopefully this will reduce competition

https://www.gov.uk/government/consultations/expanding-undergraduate-medical-education

I also understand that Leeds uni and going to increase their places by 20 or so seats. No other university has announced anything as far as I know
Hi Everyone,

I'm applying this year for both 4 and 5 year courses. I'm in my mid-thirties with a BA(Hons) and an MSc, neither health related, so I am limited in the 4 year courses that I can apply to. I'm aiming towards UKCAT universities but may have to change my plan if the UKCAT doesn't go well, but fingers crossed all will go to plan. I've taken the UKCAT previously and consistently scored around 700 so hopefully Plan A will work. Hopefully some of the information below will be useful and answer some of the questions that I've seen asked.

Extra training places - 1500 extra places announced and Jeremy Hunt stated that there will also be a four year return of service required in the future (http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/10/jeremy-hunt-we-will-train-the-doctors-we-need-but-we-are-entitled-for-them-to-be-loyal-to-the-nhs-in-return.html). I have not seen anything on how these will be split between GEM and Standard courses. This article in Pulse states that only 500 of these extra places will be funded in 2018/19 with the remainder being funded from 2019 onwards (http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-practice/practice-topics/education/dh-will-fund-just-a-third-of-promised-extra-medical-school-places-next-year/20034269.article). There have been some announcements of medical schools looking to expand (York) and some universities looking to establish new medical schools (Aston, Anglia Ruskin, St Andrews, Ulster - this article has the detail http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/Where_are_the_UK%E2%80%99s_new_medical_schools%3F)

4 Year GEM Courses - I have only been looking at those open to grads with a non-science degree. Warwick have updated their work experience requirements and it's worth having a careful read of their website for those interested in applying.

5 Year Standard Courses - Each university deals with grads differently from entry requirements to number of places allocated. It is worth asking the university that you're thinking of applying to whether they have a separate selection stream for grads and if so how many places they allocate to grads, how many applications they receive and how this affects entry test cut-off thresholds. This link demonstrates how this can affect your chances https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4157257

UKCAT - Medify is a good online resource. The 600Q book, which is now the 1250Q book, is due to be released on 15 May and is also a great resource. The best resource that I have found is the UKCAT Prep provided by UKCAT on their website however they only provide 3 practice tests so the question bank available is quite limited.

I hope some of the above helps you to make an informed choice or at least ask the questions that need to be asked in order to make the best choice for you. Please feel free to correct me if any of the above is wrong or out of date. Best of luck to us all!
Original post by Scruffy Jack
Hi Everyone,

I'm applying this year for both 4 and 5 year courses. I'm in my mid-thirties with a BA(Hons) and an MSc, neither health related, so I am limited in the 4 year courses that I can apply to. I'm aiming towards UKCAT universities but may have to change my plan if the UKCAT doesn't go well, but fingers crossed all will go to plan. I've taken the UKCAT previously and consistently scored around 700 so hopefully Plan A will work. Hopefully some of the information below will be useful and answer some of the questions that I've seen asked.

Extra training places - 1500 extra places announced and Jeremy Hunt stated that there will also be a four year return of service required in the future (http://www.conservativehome.com/platform/2016/10/jeremy-hunt-we-will-train-the-doctors-we-need-but-we-are-entitled-for-them-to-be-loyal-to-the-nhs-in-return.html). I have not seen anything on how these will be split between GEM and Standard courses. This article in Pulse states that only 500 of these extra places will be funded in 2018/19 with the remainder being funded from 2019 onwards (http://www.pulsetoday.co.uk/your-practice/practice-topics/education/dh-will-fund-just-a-third-of-promised-extra-medical-school-places-next-year/20034269.article). There have been some announcements of medical schools looking to expand (York) and some universities looking to establish new medical schools (Aston, Anglia Ruskin, St Andrews, Ulster - this article has the detail http://careers.bmj.com/careers/advice/Where_are_the_UK%E2%80%99s_new_medical_schools%3F)

4 Year GEM Courses - I have only been looking at those open to grads with a non-science degree. Warwick have updated their work experience requirements and it's worth having a careful read of their website for those interested in applying.

5 Year Standard Courses - Each university deals with grads differently from entry requirements to number of places allocated. It is worth asking the university that you're thinking of applying to whether they have a separate selection stream for grads and if so how many places they allocate to grads, how many applications they receive and how this affects entry test cut-off thresholds. This link demonstrates how this can affect your chances https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4157257

UKCAT - Medify is a good online resource. The 600Q book, which is now the 1250Q book, is due to be released on 15 May and is also a great resource. The best resource that I have found is the UKCAT Prep provided by UKCAT on their website however they only provide 3 practice tests so the question bank available is quite limited.

I hope some of the above helps you to make an informed choice or at least ask the questions that need to be asked in order to make the best choice for you. Please feel free to correct me if any of the above is wrong or out of date. Best of luck to us all!

Hi I know that for a fact that from 2018 entry St Andrews with collaboration with the uni of Dundee plans on having 40 seats for grads.
http://medicine.st-andrews.ac.uk/graduate-entry-medicine/

I believe to study med in Aston you need to be an international student (i.e pay £36000 per year)

I would say try and apply to new universities since most people are not familiar with them and therefore lower competition. Especially st andrews since it already has an undergrad med school, you can be sure that they have the appropriate teaching standards. But I think you need take the GAMSAT.

You seem to have had a decent UKAT score why did you not apply before?

What 5 year unis have you looked into? Consider Queens Belfast since I think a third of student are graduates and if you are a grad you're pretty much guaranteed an interview. But I am not sure about their degree specification.

Also have you considered Ireland? You need to take the GAMSAT but the GAMSAT score required is much lower than UK unis to be considered a strong candidate. Plus they don't interview! Only downside is tuition is around £15000 per year. I'm going to apply here as a backup.
Original post by Scruffy Jack
Hi Everyone,

It is worth asking the university that you're thinking of applying to whether they have a separate selection stream for grads and if so how many places they allocate to grads, how many applications they receive and how this affects entry test cut-off thresholds. This link demonstrates how this can affect your chances https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4157257

If you want to know more info about how many grads are accepted onto five year courses check out the whatdotheyknow.com website

There is some really interesting information on there and some universities even release data on the academic profile of the students accepted
Original post by manicmedic
If you want to know more info about how many grads are accepted onto five year courses check out the whatdotheyknow.com website

There is some really interesting information on there and some universities even release data on the academic profile of the students accepted

Hi Manic Medic

Good shout on whatdotheyknow.com, I've found that really useful for admissions stats a breakdowns between grads and non-grads.

I haven't applied previously because I've been saving to a point where it will be financially viable for me to fund my way through a degree of up to 5 years, but I took the UKCAT in previous years to get an idea of how I am likely to score and also to familiarise myself with the whole experience.

I've not looked toward Ireland because of family ties in England, so that is a big consideration when selecting universities to apply to. Just refining the shortlist now and trying to get everything in order ahead of applying.

Are you applying this summer? If so, where are you looking at?
Just wondering if anyone here is thinking of doing the BMAT? If so, how do you plan on preparing for it?
Reply 76
Hey everyone, where can I apply with a GAMSAT score of 57? Does anybody know the GAMSAT cut off scores for last year?

Posted from TSR Mobile
57 for George's Swansea and Nottingham around 55
Reply 78
Original post by Dr squared
57 for George's Swansea and Nottingham around 55

Wow! Didn't realise St George was 57! Do you think a score of 57 has a chance for 2018 entry in some places?

Posted from TSR Mobile
My friend just got into Liverpool gem for 2017 entry with 55 x

Latest

Trending

Trending