The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A guy I spoke to got into SGUL in 2016 with 55 so it is possible
Reply 81
Original post by Dollyandra
My friend just got into Liverpool gem for 2017 entry with 55 x

Nice! Do you know what the interview process involved?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
Original post by Dr squared
A guy I spoke to got into SGUL in 2016 with 55 so it is possible

55 for St George?!! That's so lucky!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ZaiKay

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think it follows MMI style but I'm unsure?
Original post by ZaiKay

Posted from TSR Mobile

6 x mmi stations I think x
Reply 85
Hi all,I've been trawling the internet for weeks but everything seems so contradictory that I'm more puzzled than when I started!I got a 2:2 in biology followed by an MSc in Molecular Biology. (BCC A level 3 A*7A GCSE). My academic record is less than stellar but I became a full time carer at 16 which had a massive impact. Now I'm free to study I want to apply for GEM. I just got the March GAMSAT results and got 72 overall. I want to apply to Swansea, Warwick, SGUL and Nottingham. Do you think I'm kidding myself in applying? Will I go straight to the bottom of the list because I've got a 2:2? The odds are so bad that I almost can't believe I can succeed with a Desmond!
Original post by bsy9
Hi all,I've been trawling the internet for weeks but everything seems so contradictory that I'm more puzzled than when I started!I got a 2:2 in biology followed by an MSc in Molecular Biology. (BCC A level 3 A*7A GCSE). My academic record is less than stellar but I became a full time carer at 16 which had a massive impact. Now I'm free to study I want to apply for GEM. I just got the March GAMSAT results and got 72 overall. I want to apply to Swansea, Warwick, SGUL and Nottingham. Do you think I'm kidding myself in applying? Will I go straight to the bottom of the list because I've got a 2:2? The odds are so bad that I almost can't believe I can succeed with a Desmond!

Did you get atleast a 2.1 in your masters? That, combined with your gamsat should make you a competitive candidate. Well done.
Reply 87
Original post by neldee95
Did you get atleast a 2.1 in your masters? That, combined with your gamsat should make you a competitive candidate. Well done.

Thanks. I have a 2:1 average but it's classified as a pass because you were limited to whatever you got in your dissertation (which sucked!!)
Original post by xJessScott
you apply through ucas when it opens on September 1st until 15th of October

Original post by jka3
I'm in the same position, I assume thats what we have to do..

Thanks both
Original post by bsy9

Hi bsy,

I'm also looking at Warwick this year. Warwick use UKCAT, not GAMSAT, so you will need to sit the UKCAT this summer. They will consider you with a 2:2 as you have a Masters and you will be allocated more points for your Masters when they assess you, assuming you have finished your Masters and your result is not pending. You also need to make sure that you meet their Work Experience requirements, which must be achieved in the last 3 years and unfortunately caring for family members does not count towards it.

From what I know of GAMSAT you appear to have nailed it and should be a competitive candidate. I am not applying to GAMSAT universities but I believe Nottingham are happy to consider students with a 2:2, but they may ask for a slightly higher GAMSAT score.

From the open days that I have been to I have met people from all different backgrounds. Your A Levels and first degree result may not be too strong, but your GAMSAT is. If you hit a comparatively good mark in the UKCAT then you stand a good chance of getting an interview. It's all about selecting the right universities which have academic requirements that fits your profile.

Good luck!
Hi all, I thought I would join in this thread even though I haven't decided whether I am applying for 2018, 2019 or 2020 entry.

I have just graduated with a first in a BSc Hons Physiotherapy degree and have got a job as a physiotherapist starting after summer. I didn't get the A levels to apply to medicine (AAB, inc A in Biology and B in Chemistry) and so I think that now with a degree under my belt is a good time to start preparing for GEM, though I would also like to have some clinical experience as a physiotherapist first, hence my being unsure of the year of entry. I would prefer to apply to Newcastle as my first choice as it means I will still be able to work bank shifts for the hospital trust I have my job with, though I think I could get private work near other universities. Dundee, Nottingham and Warwick are also on my list.

I was wondering if any of you considered the teaching hospitals near by for deciding to go to particular university's, and how early you intend to start preparing for UKCAT and/or GAMSAT? I am hoping to go to the Newcastle open day in September, provided I am not working that day, to find out some more information.

Thanks
Physiogradmed
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by physiogradmed
Hi all, I thought I would join in this thread even though I haven't decided whether I am applying for 2018, 2019 or 2020 entry.

I have just graduate with a first in a BSc Hons Physiotherapy degree and have got a job as a physiotherapist starting after summer. I didn't get the A levels to apply to medicine (AAB) and so I think that now with a degree under my belt is a good time to start preparing for GEM, though I would also like to have some clinical experience as a physiotherapist first, hence my being unsure of the year of entry. I would prefer to apply to Newcastle as my first choice as it means I will still be able to work bank shifts for the hospital trust I have my job with, though I think I could get private work near other universities. Dundee, Nottingham and Warwick are also on my list.

I was wondering if any of you considered the teaching hospitals near by for deciding to go to particular university's, and how early you intend to start preparing for UKCAT and/or GAMSAT? I am hoping to go to the Newcastle open day in September provided I am not working that day to find out some more information.

Thanks
Physiogradmed

Congratulations on graduating and a fantastic grade. I recommended giving 3-4 months to prepare for the GAMSAT (several hours per week minimum).
Original post by DelphiDeWitt
Congratulations on graduating and a fantastic grade. I recommended giving 3-4 months to prepare for the GAMSAT (several hours per week minimum).

Thank you for your fast response, and for your advice!! I think a 2019 entry might suit me best so I shall look at which Unis will suit me best :smile:

I have just graduated with a first in a BSc Hons Physiotherapy degree and have got a job as a physiotherapist starting after summer. I didn't get the A levels to apply to medicine (AAB, inc A in Biology and B in Chemistry) and so I think that now with a degree under my belt is a good time to start preparing for GEM, though I would also like to have some clinical experience as a physiotherapist first, hence my being unsure of the year of entry. I would prefer to apply to Newcastle as my first choice as it means I will still be able to work bank shifts for the hospital trust I have my job with, though I think I could get private work near other universities. Dundee, Nottingham and Warwick are also on my list.

I was wondering if any of you considered the teaching hospitals near by for deciding to go to particular university's, and how early you intend to start preparing for UKCAT and/or GAMSAT? I am hoping to go to the Newcastle open day in September, provided I am not working that day, to find out some more information.

Thanks
Physiogradmed

hi, im a nurse and graduated in January and applied for 2017 but was unsuccessful so applying for 2018 entry and intend to work bank shifts throughout im applying for newcastle a100 and a101, Warwick and Leicester i think. im pretty sure for most people it all depends on their ukcat weighing and the entry requirements, lot of people like london and like the work in london because of being big trauma centres as stuff but for university i dont think it really matters.
Original post by xJessScott
hi, im a nurse and graduated in January and applied for 2017 but was unsuccessful so applying for 2018 entry and intend to work bank shifts throughout im applying for newcastle a100 and a101, Warwick and Leicester i think. im pretty sure for most people it all depends on their ukcat weighing and the entry requirements, lot of people like london and like the work in london because of being big trauma centres as stuff but for university i dont think it really matters.

I hadn't considered applying for the A100 courses until recently, an extra year isn't all that much in the grad scheme of things but I would prefer to finish earlier than later. I have seen that Newcastle likes high UKCAT scores which concerns me a bit...

I'm hoping to work bank too, I am slightly concerned about the work load in first year being the equivalent of 2 years but after that I am sure it may be manageable? What do you think?
Reply 95
I hadn't considered applying for the A100 courses until recently, an extra year isn't all that much in the grad scheme of things but I would prefer to finish earlier than later. I have seen that Newcastle likes high UKCAT scores which concerns me a bit...

I'm hoping to work bank too, I am slightly concerned about the work load in first year being the equivalent of 2 years but after that I am sure it may be manageable? What do you think?

You might want to think about funding with A100 courses. I know for me I'm not bothered about it taking an extra year but not being able to get a loan for A100 and having to fund the full £9,000 a year would be a big ask compared to A101! I think it depends on personal circumstances, it'd definitely be useful to have a more chilled first year
Original post by bsy9
You might want to think about funding with A100 courses. I know for me I'm not bothered about it taking an extra year but not being able to get a loan for A100 and having to fund the full £9,000 a year would be a big ask compared to A101! I think it depends on personal circumstances, it'd definitely be useful to have a more chilled first year

Funding is definitely the limiting factor for what course I apply for... If I get into 2019 entry then I will have 2 solid years of working under my belt but that is definitely not enough to fund 5 years so I would have to find money from elsewhere. I agree about having a more chilled first year though, that would be nice!
Reply 97
Funding is definitely the limiting factor for what course I apply for... If I get into 2019 entry then I will have 2 solid years of working under my belt but that is definitely not enough to fund 5 years so I would have to find money from elsewhere. I agree about having a more chilled first year though, that would be nice!

I'm hoping (everything crossed) to get a GEM course but thinking about applying for one 5 year too. I've been working for 3 years now and would still only be able to fund the first 2 years which is quite terrifying really. It'd also wipe out any hope of buying a house before I'm 40 which I'm not sure my boyfriend is overly happy with 😕. Oh to have a trust fund or a magic money tree!
Original post by bsy9
I'm hoping (everything crossed) to get a GEM course but thinking about applying for one 5 year too. I've been working for 3 years now and would still only be able to fund the first 2 years which is quite terrifying really. It'd also wipe out any hope of buying a house before I'm 40 which I'm not sure my boyfriend is overly happy with 😕. Oh to have a trust fund or a magic money tree!

I'm with you on that, a magic money tree would be fantastic about now. I agree, it is wise to apply for one standard but the financial side is definitely something to think hard about first :/
Hey Everyone,

I am a final year student on a Graduate Entry Medicine course. Here to answer any questions you may have on the application process and interviews!

Gradumed

Latest

Trending

Trending