The Student Room Group

Self Study AS Maths Help!

Hi All,

For a while, I've been looking into self studying A Level maths, basically to help myself career wise ect...

Starting with just the AS, I have the MEI Structured Mathematics 3rd Edition books covering C1,C2&M1.

I'm 19 now, and at work full time as an apprentice engineer. With varying shift patterns and the date that I'm starting to study at, I don't really know how long It'l take me to ready myself for the exams.

I'd like to ask some Qs to anyone who has self studied about the general process...

1. Firstly, with the MEI structured books, i'm aware they only cover the syllabus for a certain exam board. Is this correct and if so, which one?

2. Can I complete these exams at my own leisure, or do they all have to be completed within a certain annual time period & all in one 'bunch'?

3. How much time did you put into your revision & study? (I understand that everyone is different & there's no way to make this course easy... but just asking this for a comparison really!)

FYI I received a 'B' grade at GCSE (Non Linear Papers) Then re-sat the linear papers to turn that into an 'A'.

Thanks for your time
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:

You can also find the Exam Thread list for A-levels here and GCSE here. :dumbells:

Just quoting in Puddles the Monkey so she can move the thread if needed :h:

Spoiler

Original post by Tom962
Hi All,

For a while, I've been looking into self studying A Level maths, basically to help myself career wise ect...

Starting with just the AS, I have the MEI Structured Mathematics 3rd Edition books covering C1,C2&M1.

I'm 19 now, and at work full time as an apprentice engineer. With varying shift patterns and the date that I'm starting to study at, I don't really know how long It'l take me to ready myself for the exams.

I'd like to ask some Qs to anyone who has self studied about the general process...

1. Firstly, with the MEI structured books, i'm aware they only cover the syllabus for a certain exam board. Is this correct and if so, which one?

2. Can I complete these exams at my own leisure, or do they all have to be completed within a certain annual time period & all in one 'bunch'?

3. How much time did you put into your revision & study? (I understand that everyone is different & there's no way to make this course easy... but just asking this for a comparison really!)

FYI I received a 'B' grade at GCSE (Non Linear Papers) Then re-sat the linear papers to turn that into an 'A'.

Thanks for your time

The text books are matched to the OCR-MEI Specification. It is different from the regular OCR specification. I recommend you choose a different specification so you avoid the coursework component they have in C3. Edexcel offer the most commonly taken specification so there's a wide range of paper and online resources available plus very activate discussion of their exams on the student room.

You can do the exams at any pace you like but must have completed them by summer 2018 as the specifications are about to undergo a major change.

No way to guess how much time you will need. Some people suggest they can complete a unit in a week, normally you should estimate about 60 hours of effort per unit plus exam revision.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest