The Student Room Group

HELP! GCE/International A-Level Self Study

Hi!

I'm looking to study Cambridge International A-Level Computer Science with the intention of sitting the October/November 2023 exam series.

I've never done this before, so if you know anything about :

- Self-study vs fast-track/intensive tutoring for Cambridge Intl. A-Levels
- Resources for self-study
- Exam admin (how to register for exams, registration deadlines, 'Statements of Entry', etc.)

Please share!

Any other personal experiences/cautions would also be appreciated :smile:

If you know someone who has done A-Level self-study or gone through the Cambridge International exam board, please get in touch.
Original post by abizzari
Hi!

I'm looking to study Cambridge International A-Level Computer Science with the intention of sitting the October/November 2023 exam series.

I've never done this before, so if you know anything about :

- Self-study vs fast-track/intensive tutoring for Cambridge Intl. A-Levels
- Resources for self-study
- Exam admin (how to register for exams, registration deadlines, 'Statements of Entry', etc.)

Please share!

Any other personal experiences/cautions would also be appreciated :smile:

If you know someone who has done A-Level self-study or gone through the Cambridge International exam board, please get in touch.

Self-study is tougher than you think. You need to have study skills, motivation, executive functioning. You need to learn how to study. When I self-studied my IAL for most of the time (math, physics, psychology) i had almost zero support, and that caused me to achieve below my potential. At best I could be A*/A student.
Intensive tutoring could be better. There are exam techniques, and also a broader picture of the subject. If I started in 2021 again, I'd have gotten a plan, got more supercurriculars, perhapps some more tutoring and other opportunities. I decided against double maths cuz I didn't want to tie myself down to a specific subject, but if I had started in 2021 I'd have done Math, FM and Physics. No point changing that now though.
School support is important, in terms of scheduling, transition etc. and for me without it it was tough, although I also wasted a lot of time changing plans and personal circumstances affected me.

Resources: PMT, Save Your Exams.

PM me I'm in this position but for IAL Edexcel.

Quick Reply

Latest