The Student Room Group

Brexit: a Canadian's perspective

I've been watching the Brexit debate unfold from "across the pond" with great interest (a lot of us have, actually). As someone who lived in the UK for a while, I see it as a second home. Therefore I find myself with an emotional stake in this.

My feeling, shared by many here it seems, is that you should leave. You're obviously not happy with your relationship with the EU, and why you would opt to remain shackled to something so undemocratic and restrictive is hard to understand. That choking, bureaucratic mass pulls you in ever closer by the decade. It eats away at your sovereignty, your identity, and castrates your economic and democratic freedom. Now you're being given what will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to leave.

Use it.

Will there be economic repercussions? Probably, but Britain is a strong nation, with strong diplomatic ties outside of Europe. See this as an opportunity to start something fresh, to build beyond Europe, and win back some pride.

What great nation can't even determine most of its own economic policies, control its own borders, or decide some of the most basic things about products and services?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hear! Hear!

I fear that the 18-24 year cucks will be the end of it though...
Original post by Dandaman1
I've been watching the Brexit debate unfold from "across the pond" with great interest (a lot of us have, actually). As someone who lived in the UK for a while, I see it as a second home. Therefore I find myself with an emotional stake in this.

My feeling, shared by many here it seems, is that you should leave. You're obviously not happy with your relationship with the EU, and why you would opt to remain shackled to something so undemocratic and restrictive is hard to understand. That choking, beaurocratic mass pulls you in ever closer by the decade. It eats away at your sovereignty, your identity, and castrates your economic and democratic freedom. Now you're being given what will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to leave.

Use it.

Will there be economic repercussions? Probably, but Britain is a strong nation, with strong diplomatic ties outside of Europe. See this as an opportunity to start something fresh, to build beyond Europe, and win back some pride.

What great nation can't even determine most of its own economic policies, control its own borders, or decide some of the most basic things about products and services?

Completely agree. Unfortunately leave won't get to 50% of the vote.

Sucks but there we have it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
If only we could prevent the unemployed from voting. Brexit would win by a landslide.
Original post by paul514
Completely agree. Unfortunately leave won't get to 50% of the vote.

Sucks but there we have it

Posted from TSR Mobile

Agreed on both counts. We should leave, but won't.

This will mark another data point in our long, slow, remorseless decline as a nation. Compare our global position during the Suez fiasco sixty years ago and today.

Then we tried to undertake military action in Egypt (and failed humiliatingly) because we seriously thought free passage of the Suez Canal was vital to our national interest as a global power.

Now we are just a province in a failing supra national body.

Why? Because we are too petrified to go it alone.

Pathetic. If you wanted proof that the UK is finished, this is it.

It is a shame, because we were once a great nation, with a lot of pride and national self esteem. Just not in the lifetimes of anyone on this website.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
See this as an opportunity to start something fresh, to build beyond Europe, and win back some pride.

We tried that once. Upset a lot of people.
Reply 6
Original post by JezWeCan!
Agreed on both counts. We should leave, but won't.

This will mark another data point in our long, slow, remorseless decline as a nation. Compare our global position during the Suez fiasco sixty years ago and today.

Then we tried to undertake military action in Egypt (and failed humiliatingly) because we seriously thought free passage of the Suez Canal was vital to our national interest as a global power.

Now we are just a province in a failing supra national body.

Why? Because we are too petrified to go it alone.

Pathetic. If you wanted proof that the UK is finished, this is it.

It is a shame, because we were once a great nation, with a lot of pride and national self esteem. Just not in the lifetimes of anyone on this website.

We were once imperial, brutal and overreaching. We are a small country. Let's just get over it and get on with it.
We might go down with the boat if Brexit wins but Britain fails... we'll be going down with a cruise **** if we remain.

The European Union is already collapsing and will break up in the near-ish future...
Original post by The Roast
Hear! Hear!

I fear that the 18-24 year cucks will be the end of it though...

cucks?
:rofl::rofl:
... the OP has said nothing and yet people are here saying "agree" :laugh:

My feeling, shared by many here it seems, is that you should leave. You're obviously not happy with your relationship with the EU, and why you would opt to remain shackled to something so undemocratic and restrictive is hard to understand. That choking, beaurocratic mass pulls you in ever closer by the decade. It eats away at your sovereignty, your identity, and castrates your economic and democratic freedom. Now you're being given what will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to leave.

Use it.

translation: bla bla bla bla SOVERGNITY!!! bla bla bla UNDEMOCRATIC!!! bla bla bla LEAVE!!!
Well they got my vote... to stay in :colone:
Original post by offhegoes
We were once imperial, brutal and overreaching. We are a small country. Let's just get over it and get on with it.

A good deal less brutal than other Empires, (compare the supremacist Muslim Ottomans for example and their genocides involving millions of their subjects with our record over the same period) and on the whole we left the countries we colonised in a far better and more civilised states than we found them.

History will be kind to the British Empire, if not Britain itself.
Carney is doing an excellent job of portraying one Canadian perspective of 'Brexit'.
Reply 13
Original post by TaintedLight
... the OP has said nothing and yet people are here saying "agree" :laugh:

translation: bla bla bla bla SOVERGNITY!!! bla bla bla UNDEMOCRATIC!!! bla bla bla LEAVE!!!

I'm not sure why you don't think sovereignty is important?

Same goes for why you don't think democracy is important?
Agreed. I'm also a corbynite, and from the left.
Original post by Jebedee
If only we could prevent the unemployed from voting. Brexit would win by a landslide.

If only we could prevent the elderly from voting. Remain would win by a landslide.
Original post by lolatmaths
If only we could prevent the elderly from voting. Remain would win by a landslide.

Of course, they're the ones affected by modern left wing indoctrination.
Reply 17
Original post by lolatmaths

If we could only prevent xenophobes from voting, there will be no one voting brexit.
Reply 18

Use it.

Quebec should have left Canada, Quexit. The only bit of Canada with decent food.
It's like being offered a seat in the life boat but choosing to stay on the Titanic.

Quick Reply

Latest