The Student Room Group
Reply 1
yup yup startin 2 panik bout both of them!!

had a look at sum unit6 papers an they dont show u method, so u dunno how to get rite answer if u got it wrong..

thing is with these exams is they can ask anything from all 5 modules..
ny1 lse doin this exam? got ny tips for it???
Reply 2
On unit six questions that often come up include:

Constant calculations eg. Kp, Kc etc
ph calcs.
general periodicity, eg. which is most electronegative from the following?
isomerism eg. which of the following displays geometrical isomerism?
organic equations eg. which of the following will result in formation of an ester?
base/acid strength eg. which of the following is a lewis acid?
rate equations
oxidation/reduction
enthalpy changes

To be fair, pretty much anything could come up, but questions seem to be the same from year to year if you know what i mean. Let's just hope for a nice exam! It's really helpful to keep at those past papers, i used to be totally useless at them , but i've gotten a lot better wth practise, like i said, things come up again and again just worded differently.

Good luck!
Reply 3
Ha should be fun. Unit 5 is alright, although some of the synoptic essays are not pleasant. Unit 6 is pretty straightforward generally, remember how long you have to do that many questions and realise the answer isn't going to be THAT complicated so don't overthink it.
Reply 4
Unit 4 stuff seems to feature quite heavily in both these units, so its probably worth knowing

Looking back on Unit 1 i cant believe how little there is in it, and i thought it was difficult at the time!
Reply 5
Im dreading unit 5...struggling to motivate myself to revise for it.
At least on unit 6 if you dont have a clue you can guess and have a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right
Reply 6
umm theres just WAYY too much to learn for unit 5
all those lovely colours of transition metals...=.=
and unit 6,, i never had enough time to finish it all...

still have to revise for edexcel bio 6 for this friday..
chem revision all weekend
last exam til' monday noon and I'LL BE FREEEEEEEEE
i bet i'll cry on that day!!
Reply 7
lol yeaaa thers 222 much stuff for unit 5 all the colours and equations

are the grade boundries usually low for these 2, or they fairly high??? i kno it will depend on the actual paper, but just wanting a rough idea..
Reply 8
shhhh im trying to forget about these! got physics tomorrow to worry about before i even think about chemistry
Reply 9
umm for last june's mod 5, u need 85/120 for an A, then 73,62,51 for B,C,D respectively,,
for last june's mod 6(of which one third will be coursework and the rest will be the synoptic..), o god, u need higher than the usual % to get the grade!
76/90 for A, then 67,48,59 for B,C,D...which means 84% for an A!!
check the last few pages of each yr's examiners report and you'll find these..
Reply 10
aarghhh!!, how is everyone learing all the colours?!??! theres so much!!!
Reply 11
No easy way :frown: Just writing it out over and over.
Reply 12
i need 65% on each paper

still so worried lol...

Latest