The Student Room Group

Maths Cambridge offer holders

Now, I've heard that you have a very small chance of getting offered a place if you don't have a ums average of at least 95 in your maths as level. These are my module scores:
D1- 80 (Horrible exam) C2- 98
C1-100 FP1-90
S1-94 M1-92

For all you Cambridge students, or offer holders, what were your ums scores and honestly, do i have a chance of getting in?
Also, how many applicants are there who get offers for maths?
(edited 7 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

anyone?
Reply 3
Original post by theamazingone

Most of the people here are UCL and below
Now, I've heard that you have a very small chance of getting offered a place if you don't have a ums average of at least 95 in your maths as level. These are my module scores:
C1-100 FP1-90
S1-94 M1-92

For all you Cambridge students, or offer holders, what were your ums scores and honestly, do i have a chance of getting in?

Yes, those UMS scores are perfectly fine, and you don't need 95% average to get an interview or offer. Around 80% of applicants are interviewed, and for maths many of those get offers. Provided you do well at interview you will likely get an offer with that set of UMS. Then the hard part is passing STEP.
Original post by sweeneyrod
Yes, those UMS scores are perfectly fine, and you don't need 95% average to get an interview or offer. Around 80% of applicants are interviewed, and for maths many of those get offers. Provided you do well at interview you will likely get an offer with that set of UMS. Then the hard part is passing STEP.

Are you speaking from experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Are you speaking from experience?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I got an offer for Computer Science with Maths, with UMS quite similar to yours (I did worse in FP1, better in D1, better in M1 and I also did D2 in year 12). There are stats online that show what proportion of people with what UMS get interviews/offers, showing most applicants with above a 90% average get interviews, and chances of an offer don't differ dramatically between 90-95% and 95-100%.
Original post by sweeneyrod
I got an offer for Computer Science with Maths, with UMS quite similar to yours (I did worse in FP1, better in D1, better in M1 and I also did D2 in year 12). There are stats online that show what proportion of people with what UMS get interviews/offers, showing most applicants with above a 90% average get interviews, and chances of an offer don't differ dramatically between 90-95% and 95-100%.

Oh really? That's reassuring :tongue: thanks m8

Posted from TSR Mobile
Any maths offer holders care to share theirums scores ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
C1-100 FP1-90
S1-94 M1-92

Yeah I wouldn't worry about that to be honest.
Everything looks good apart from D1 which I doubt they will care about.
Just try and do a bit of prep for interview, that's what will be the most important.
Original post by mpaterson
Yeah I wouldn't worry about that to be honest.
Everything looks good apart from D1 which I doubt they will care about.
Just try and do a bit of prep for interview, that's what will be the most important.

Thank you for the reply! How would you recommend I prepare?
Did you get an offer? If so what were your ums scores and interview like??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thank you for the reply! How would you recommend I prepare?
Did you get an offer? If so what were your ums scores and interview like??

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes I did,
C1 -100
C2 -96
C3 -100
C4 -100
M1-100
D1 -95
UMS was pretty good but have met people with a fair bit lower who still got offers, don't think it makes too much of a difference. I didn't think the interview went that well, they're not expecting you to be perfect though.

Maybe have a look at these that's what I did:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=320602
And you could start doing a bit of step stuff in the summer, might help developing problem solving mindset.

Whether I'll get high enough STEP or not is another question though...
Yes I did,
C1 -100
C2 -96
C3 -100
C4 -100
M1-100
D1 -95
UMS was pretty good but have met people with a fair bit lower who still got offers, don't think it makes too much of a difference. I didn't think the interview went that well, they're not expecting you to be perfect though.

Maybe have a look at these that's what I did:
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=320602
And you could start doing a bit of step stuff in the summer, might help developing problem solving mindset.

Whether I'll get high enough STEP or not is another question though...

those are amazing results! much better than mine, i think i have a very slim chance of getting in...
those are amazing results! much better than mine, i think i have a very slim chance of getting in...

It's not really about UMS I wouldn't worry, you've scored highly in the core modules which is what will matter if anything. Just focus on doing extra maths and if your interview goes ok you should get an offer!
It's not really about UMS I wouldn't worry, you've scored highly in the core modules which is what will matter if anything. Just focus on doing extra maths and if your interview goes ok you should get an offer!

thanks for the reassurance :biggrin:
how many people get offers?
thanks for the reassurance :biggrin:
how many people get offers?

about 1/3 rd?
not sure of the exact stats
C1-100 FP1-90
S1-94 M1-92

You're clearly quite keen to go, so there's no real harm in applying. Yes, it's effort filling out everything and trying to make it sound good but.. :dontknow: worth the risk. You'd do well to find 5 unis such that you would equally love going to any of them, which is the most important thing, so 1 choice doesn't matter that much.
Original post by SeanFM
You're clearly quite keen to go, so there's no real harm in applying. Yes, it's effort filling out everything and trying to make it sound good but.. :dontknow: worth the risk. You'd do well to find 5 unis such that you would equally love going to any of them, which is the most important thing, so 1 choice doesn't matter that much.

But cambridge is the dream for me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

Right... so apply, by all means :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

As other people have said here, you should be able to get an offer if you have a good interview as cambridge hand out a fair few offers for maths because the real challenge is to meet the STEP grades, which a lot of people dont.

Apply and have start preparing for step (getting a 1 in step II + III will be much harder than an A* in M+FM)

Quick Reply

Latest