The Student Room Group

June 24th: 'UK Independence Day'. The People of Great Britain Have Spoken. Now What?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gora The Xplorer
The Irish Republic is not a wealthy nation and would struggle to assimilate the North, but we need to respect the humanity of Irish people who should be able to visit friends and relatives with ease.

It would and who knows what would happen should NI leave. But ultimately I think our first port of call should be to deal with those who will practically be impacted by this situation and the Northern Irish are top of this list. I'm unsure how realistic allowing free travel between the two countries is.
Scotland is as good as gone. NornIron will probably go too. The UK is dead.
Original post by Elivercury
Where? In the sea? We're a f***ing island.

Hadrian's

Posted from TSR Mobile
It would and who knows what would happen should NI leave. But ultimately I think our first port of call should be to deal with those who will practically be impacted by this situation and the Northern Irish are top of this list. I'm unsure how realistic allowing free travel between the two countries is.

We're still inside the EU for at least 2 years which is ample time to work out a treaty. I was under the impression in the past we had a common travel area with Ireland and that this has existed for almost 100 years, perhaps that should be passed into law in the mean time.
Original post by DavidSilvaMCFC
Scotland is as good as gone. NornIron will probably go too. The UK is dead.

All indications before the referendum is that leaving would not be enough for Scottish independence

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Jammy Duel

I must have missed the vote to leave Scotland in the EU?

I hope there was one, because it would be favourable to the current reality.
All indications before the referendum is that leaving would not be enough for Scottish independence

Posted from TSR Mobile

All indications AFTER the referendum are that Nicola Sturgeon is strongly pushing for a referendum, and is likely to be met with overwhelming support, given that Scotland voted overwhelmingly for remain.

If they leave, do we get our precious 'sovreignty' back then?
I must have missed the vote to leave Scotland in the EU?

I hope there was one, because it would be favourable to the current reality.

Whether Scotland remain or leave it's worth rebuilding :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
We're still inside the EU for at least 2 years which is ample time to work out a treaty. I was under the impression in the past we had a common travel area with Ireland and that this has existed for almost 100 years, perhaps that should be passed into law in the mean time.

We are, I clearly stated that border control isn't about to pop up tomorrow. However the question was about what we should do going forward and imo they're the top of the list to make sure something works for.

There may be a travel agreement, but given that wouldn't give us "full control of our borders" who knows whether it'll be honoured. I would like to hope something suitable can be worked out over two years.
I was under the impression in the past we had a common travel area with Ireland and that this has existed for almost 100 years, perhaps that should be passed into law in the mean time.

That cannot work as anyone would be able to travel from the continental EU into Ireland, and then pass into Britain.
Original post by alevelstresss
All indications AFTER the referendum are that Nicola Sturgeon is strongly pushing for a referendum, and is likely to be met with overwhelming support, given that Scotland voted overwhelmingly for remain.

I prefer looking for the time being at pre referendum, particularly when it looked like leave would win. I don't think we can pay attention to any independence polls for a month or so, wait for the initial reactionary boost dies down, they won't try until they think they can win, no time soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Whether Scotland remain or leave it's worth rebuilding :tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile

What a wonderful and inclusive attitude. Why stop there though? Lets build a wall around Wales and London also. Actually we could just replace all the motorways with walls?
Original post by Good bloke
That cannot work as anyone would be able to travel from the continental EU into Ireland, and then pass into Britain.

I don't mind people from other countries being here, I voted remain. I believe it's possible for us to integrate ourselves with the rest of the world whilst maintaining our identity and throwing the Brexiteers the bone they so desperately desire.
Original post by alevelstresss

It wouldn't be legal, it will be another 20 years at least until the Scots get another go.
Reply 74

That would really annoy a little Northern pocket of England. Maybe we should rebuild that Antonine Wall too and have a DMZ?

I would gloat that we have the nukes, but frankly you can have them, as you likely will do once Scotland leaves.
Original post by Good bloke

You mean like people could before we were in the EU, even if not quite as easily?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 76
I prefer looking for the time being at pre referendum, particularly when it looked like leave would win. I don't think we can pay attention to any independence polls for a month or so, wait for the initial reactionary boost dies down, they won't try until they think they can win, no time soon.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Many, including myself, voted No on the basis that the UK would stay in the EU. In fact, one argument of the Better Together campaign was that an independent Scotland might not be allowed to join the EU.
Where? In the sea? We're a f***ing island.

Around the coast. And make France pay for it. Or the EU.
Reply 78
Original post by thunder_chunky
Around the coast. And make France pay for it. Or the EU.

Global warming, walls in the sea.

Is this just one big attempt to recreate that place from Waterworld?

If so, I grudgingly approve.
It wouldn't be legal, it will be another 20 years at least until the Scots get another go.

Sorry, how exactly would a second referendum vote not legal? You're acting like it's a foregone conclusion Westminster won't agree to it.

Incidentally, I sincerely hope that such a vote would be recognised and respected because rioting and civil war could be the alternative.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending