The Student Room Group

London South Bank university & kings Nursing

Hi everyone, had my numeracy and literacy tests for LSBU PgDip Children's nursing today and have now been invited for an interview. Also been offered an interview for Kings BSc adult nursing :smile:

So really just wanted to write here to see if anyone has done interviews for either of these and could send me any tips and useful pointers that can help me to prepare. I.e common questions etc :smile: As someone who has a lack of caring/healthcare experience, I am worried about how that may come across in interviews, so any help would be massively appreciated :smile: anyone else in the same position?

Was anyone else at the LSBU tests today as well?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
If you don't have much care experience, try talking about transferrable skills you've gained through work/previous study, eg. communication skills, working in a team, supporting others etc. :smile:

I don't know if you're aware but to do the PgDip at LSBU you need around 200 hours of experience (which needs to be signed off by somebody) for your APL portfolio.

Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Thank you thats very useful to know :smile:

And no I didn't realise about the APL, I know i'd have to do the portfolio but I didn't know i'd have to do a specific amount :frown: Do you know if that has to be healthcare related experience or do you think experience from working as a teacher could be counted? The reason I couldn't do the PgDip for Kings was for the same reasons as they asked for 575 hours by the end of July but I didn't know LSBU had a specific amount as I couldn't find it on their website anywhere :frown: Oh dear :O
Reply 3
Original post by jess_cw
Thank you thats very useful to know :smile:

And no I didn't realise about the APL, I know i'd have to do the portfolio but I didn't know i'd have to do a specific amount :frown: Do you know if that has to be healthcare related experience or do you think experience from working as a teacher could be counted? The reason I couldn't do the PgDip for Kings was for the same reasons as they asked for 575 hours by the end of July but I didn't know LSBU had a specific amount as I couldn't find it on their website anywhere :frown: Oh dear :O

I only know about the number of hours because it was on the APL form so don't worry, it wasn't very clear! From memory it was around 200-220 (equivalent of 6 weeks full-time)

I'm not sure about if the experience has to be healthcare or not. There is a section where somebody has to sign you off against a list of skills, most of which are healthcare specific, however the form talks about registered accountants being able to sign some so maybe a teacher could too? The best thing to do would be to phone up and ask. :smile:

Sorry I can't be more helpful!
Reply 4
Ah ok that's good to know thank you so much :smile: I've sent a couple of emails and also enquired if there are any more spaces on the bachelors courses just in case. I'd be really disappointed but I guess is always worth asking. I'll go to the interview anyway as it will be a good experience for me but I'll try and call them up tomorrow either way.

Thanks!
Reply 5
Just out of interest, do you still have the info they sent you about the APL?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending