The Student Room Group

Bsc,Msci....

I'm confused when choosing a course because with biochemistry, there is either a Bsc degree ? or a Msci degree?

What is the difference between them?
Do you have to get a Bsc, in order to be able to do a Msci?
If you're looking to get a PhD which one would be best to go for?
A BSc is a 3 year course - this is the "standard" degree. An MSci course is an integrated masters - this is a four year course. The first three years are like a BSc (and so you could choose to graduate after 3 years if you decided you didn't want to do the fourth year), with the fourth year being similar to a 1 year masters course.

If you want to do a PhD, most PhDs require a four year course (MSci) or a BSc and a masters, but this is not always the case. So I would say go for an MSci if you're thinking of doing a PhD.

Also, it is generally recommended that you go for the MSci course if you're not sure which to do, as in terms of funding it is easy to switch down to the BSc, but not so easy to switch up to the MSci (since it is easier to say you don't need the fourth year of student finance than try to get an extra year of finance if you initially applied to the three year).

I did a physics degree which also had MSci / BSc options. Many people initially applied for the MSci only to change their minds while at university. I was on an MSci course but have just decided to graduate with a BSc as I'm doing a masters elsewhere. There is a lot of flexibility with this, so it's not essential to decide whether to do a BSc or an MSci, but as I said above, I would recommend initially applying for the MSci.

Some universities seem to have different (higher) grade requirements for the MSci over the BSc, which is ridiculous because you can switch courses anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending