The Student Room Group

Unproductive Summer

After finishing my first year at Uni I was desperately looking forward to these summer holidays but now that they`ve arrived I haven`t been able to avoid feeling extremely guilty all the time. I wasn`t able to find an internship, lots of people in my flat got apprenticeships so kind of made me panic for not getting one. I also took a "gap year" last year which it was just working but at a law firm which was really good and I hope that`ll look good on my cv as well as helped me save alot of cash for uni, however, I was hoping I could go back there for the summer and it hasn`t worked out.
Basically, this summer is probably one of the only times in my life I will ever have this much free time but I just can`t enjoy it as I feel this constant guilt that I should be doing something and anxiety that it will look bad. A lot of people are mentioning "cv builidng" but most of these people came straight to uni so surely my year off must have helped in some regard here? Should I be worried and feel guilty or should I really just be enjoying the fact I`ve got time off?
Original post by The Monk
After finishing my first year at Uni I was desperately looking forward to these summer holidays but now that they`ve arrived I haven`t been able to avoid feeling extremely guilty all the time. I wasn`t able to find an internship, lots of people in my flat got apprenticeships so kind of made me panic for not getting one. I also took a "gap year" last year which it was just working but at a law firm which was really good and I hope that`ll look good on my cv as well as helped me save alot of cash for uni, however, I was hoping I could go back there for the summer and it hasn`t worked out.
Basically, this summer is probably one of the only times in my life I will ever have this much free time but I just can`t enjoy it as I feel this constant guilt that I should be doing something and anxiety that it will look bad. A lot of people are mentioning "cv builidng" but most of these people came straight to uni so surely my year off must have helped in some regard here? Should I be worried and feel guilty or should I really just be enjoying the fact I`ve got time off?

Hello :smile:

Honestly, the feeling you have is not uncommon at all in First Year students and their first summers away. Close to everybody experiences the feeling and it's purely down to the fact that First Year has been a constant stream of memories, new work, new works and lecturers and just so much new stuff at once and it's a lifestyle where you always seem to be busy and now you aren't so it's really deflating.

Unfortunately for you, it makes a more so when you consider that you're comparing yourself with the people you lived with and obviously that's making you feel worse. You shouldn't feel bad - you took a gap year and worked a pretty impressive job if I do so say myself - that's a lot more than most people do.

I completely understand your feeling - why don't you try and find yourself a small part time summer job? With your first year at university and your experience I imagine you'll be able to find something and nothing too strenuous - just something to keep you busy.

I hope this helps a little - I promise you, you aren't the only one feeling this way.
Reply 2
Original post by JustGeorgeJ
Hello :smile:

Honestly, the feeling you have is not uncommon at all in First Year students and their first summers away. Close to everybody experiences the feeling and it's purely down to the fact that First Year has been a constant stream of memories, new work, new works and lecturers and just so much new stuff at once and it's a lifestyle where you always seem to be busy and now you aren't so it's really deflating.

Unfortunately for you, it makes a more so when you consider that you're comparing yourself with the people you lived with and obviously that's making you feel worse. You shouldn't feel bad - you took a gap year and worked a pretty impressive job if I do so say myself - that's a lot more than most people do.

I completely understand your feeling - why don't you try and find yourself a small part time summer job? With your first year at university and your experience I imagine you'll be able to find something and nothing too strenuous - just something to keep you busy.

I hope this helps a little - I promise you, you aren't the only one feeling this way.

Cheers! yeah I guess psychologically with Uni life being so busy there`s that constant feeling that I should be doing something and glad I`m not the only one.
Original post by The Monk
Cheers! yeah I guess psychologically with Uni life being so busy there`s that constant feeling that I should be doing something and glad I`m not the only one.

No problem at all! :smile: exactly, don't feel like you're the odd one out - just find something to keep yourself busy!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending