The Student Room Group

Japanese Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 780
Sapientia
I think that that sounds good, but I'm keen to hear anyone else's opinion. :smile:

What's it for? How formal do you need it to be?

Cheers!

Well, I was speaking about something as part of a journal entry.
So, it doesn't need to be formal at all, I suppose!
Reply 781
Yeah that seems fine to me.

I think I've found the freakiest looking kanji ever. http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E9%BE%9C
Azimuth

I think I've found the freakiest looking kanji ever. http://jisho.org/kanji/details/%E9%BE%9C

You're right, it is :mmm: It looks hellish to write.
Azimuth

I see your turtle and raise you depression: 憂鬱 :smile:

Also there is this hideous noodle character http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Biáng_(regular_script).svg

What fun. :biggrin:
Sapientia
I see your turtle and raise you depression: 憂鬱 :smile:

Also there is this hideous noodle character http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Biáng_(regular_script).svg

What fun. :biggrin:

Although your kanji is harder to write / remember, I can't imagine how you would write this one small enough...

atheistwithfaith
Although your kanji is harder to write / remember, I can't imagine how you would write this one small enough...

Just colour a square in black? :biggrin:
Hopefully that thing isn't an approved Kanji :tongue:
Reply 787
皆さん、こんいちは。僕は十月から日本語を勉強します。僕は平仮名と片仮名と~200漢字を知る、でも国文法を知るはとても下手ですよ。どんな本を勧めようか。
Hello everyone. I have been learning Japanese since October. Can read hiragana, katakana and about 200 kanji. However, my grammar is pretty bad. Can you recommend me any title?

//I most propably messed up the Japanese version, hope you don't mind. :smile:
Papkin
Hello everyone. I have been learning Japanese since October. Can read hiragana, katakana and about 200 kanji. However, my grammar is pretty bad. Can you recommend me any title?

Wow, I don't know how to write any kanji, and I can only read a few :sad:

Welcome :smile:
Reply 789
Papkin

Hello!

I really like the Japanese grammar dictionaries you can buy, if you haven't got them already. I've only got the beginner one myself though.

As for kanji, I can type and recognise quite a few.. but cannot write any anymore. =P I used to be able to write about the same as you, Papkin.. but then I just got lazy 'cause I basically only type in Japanese nowadays. Rikai-chan and other such browser add-ons do the trick for any kanji I don't know though. My grammar is terrible also, very terrible. I'd say I'm not too good regarding English grammar though, even as a native, so.. that doesn't help! My sentence structure and tense-hopping is craziness. ANYWAYS,

Seeking help again! I came across these two (parts of) sentences:
"それはそれで嬉しかったですけど"
and "今回のシングルを進めるにあたってデモ出しをする中で、この曲に決まったんです"

If the entire sentences are required, that's not issue.

I just wasn't sure what they meant. "But that being the case, I was happy" and "Regarding going forward with this single, the demo was put out and this tune was decided"? I've no clue. So, any insight would be awesome. It's moreso the を進めるにあたって and 出しをする part that get me regarding the second one.
Jazmine
. My grammar is terrible also, very terrible. I'd say I'm not too good regarding English grammar though, even as a native, so.. that doesn't help! My sentence structure and tense-hopping is craziness. ANYWAYS,

I agree wholly! I wish they taught me grammar when I was at school. Does anyone know any good books on english grammar, I think understanding how my language works will help me get to grips with japanese grammar.
Reply 791
atheistwithfaith
I agree wholly! I wish they taught me grammar when I was at school. Does anyone know any good books on english grammar, I think understanding how my language works will help me get to grips with japanese grammar.

I know, I know. But to be fair, I didn't much pay attention to things like what verbs and pronouns were, etc, when I was in primary school. Ha ha, just didn't see the importance back then! I've no idea about English grammar books but, I find that Japanese grammar resources or even just things like Lang-8 teach me quite a bit about it (via comparing sentences, etc). Or even books and lectures on linguistics.. anything that makes me think about language, I suppose. 'Tis the reason I'm a lot more aware about the way I speak (not that I'm that self-aware..), that and people have sometimes complained to me anyways. Ha ha
First things first, just got my JLPT certificate in the post - I passed level 2. :dance:

Jazmine
Hello!

I really like the Japanese grammar dictionaries you can buy, if you haven't got them already. I've only got the beginner one myself though.

As for kanji, I can type and recognise quite a few.. but cannot write any anymore. =P I used to be able to write about the same as you, Papkin.. but then I just got lazy 'cause I basically only type in Japanese nowadays. Rikai-chan and other such browser add-ons do the trick for any kanji I don't know though. My grammar is terrible also, very terrible. I'd say I'm not too good regarding English grammar though, even as a native, so.. that doesn't help! My sentence structure and tense-hopping is craziness. ANYWAYS,

Seeking help again! I came across these two (parts of) sentences:
"それはそれで嬉しかったですけど"
and "今回のシングルを進めるにあたってデモ出しをする中で、この曲に決まったんです"

If the entire sentences are required, that's not issue.

I just wasn't sure what they meant. "But that being the case, I was happy" and "Regarding going forward with this single, the demo was put out and this tune was decided"? I've no clue. So, any insight would be awesome. It's moreso the を進めるにあたって and 出しをする part that get me regarding the second one.

I would go with similar translations for those two sentences. :smile:

Papkin

こんにちは!:woo:

As for recommendations for 文法 and the like, this website and this website are good resources. The first one is more about verbs but has other good pieces of information on the website. It's where I started learning Japanese when I was much younger. The second website is a more comprehensive resource with a lot more on there, so it'd probably be better to go through with that one. Unfortunately by the time that I found this second website I had already learnt most of the grammar on there, but it's still a very good resource. :yep: Good luck! :biggrin:
Reply 793
Wow Sapientia! Congrats on passing the JLPT level 2! I've heard that the gap between 4 and 3 is not that big, but I know that level 2 is very very difficult! I know of people who have lived in Japan (and attended courses in language schools) for two years and didn't manage to pass the level 2. You're my hero! :biggrin:

I'd like to know what's your method. How have you become so fluent? :smile:

Anyway, I'm starting Japanese and Korean at SOAS next September. Can't wait! :yep:
Reply 794
MisaG

Anyway, I'm starting Japanese and Korean at SOAS next September. Can't wait! :yep:

Cool, my boarding school roommate is (most likely) going for Japanese at SOAS as well :smile:
Reply 795
atheistwithfaith

There's a book called "English Grammar for Students of Japanese" which might help you. It's been a long time since I read it, but I seem to remember thinking it was cool. :smile:
Wow I simply love Japan. I haven't been there. Im half white half indian from UK, and I lvoe all cultures, but I love Japanese culture more. Maybe I don't know much, but Japanese people seem very adventurous, and my favourites things such as metal gear solid series, dragonball , street fighter, and other mangas, my favourite. Japanese people seem friendly, and they live life like no other, gotta luv em!

What's the cheapest flight to japan from heathrow lol. I woul dlvoe to keep in touch with some japanese friends..

ayte, peace1
Reply 797
Sapientia
First things first, just got my JLPT certificate in the post - I passed level 2. :dance:

Hey, congratulations. :biggrin:

I passed level 3. I got 95/100, 100/100 and 193/200 (Vocabulary, Listening, Grammar). 97% overall.

...knew I should've taken 2級. :rolleyes:

Thinking of going for 1級 this year. They've changed it to make it harder now though so... don't know really.
ohhh a thread related to japanese that is actually kept up to date! This is a real gem found here lol :wink: It's nice to see loads of people having a similar interest.
MisaG
Wow Sapientia! Congrats on passing the JLPT level 2! I've heard that the gap between 4 and 3 is not that big, but I know that level 2 is very very difficult! I know of people who have lived in Japan (and attended courses in language schools) for two years and didn't manage to pass the level 2. You're my hero! :biggrin:

I'd like to know what's your method. How have you become so fluent? :smile:

Thank you. :smile:

Method is the same as Azimuth. Exposure to native media, just like how you practise English. Read Japanese books, play Japanese video games, browse Japanese websites, listen to Japanese music... become Japanese. :smile:

Azimuth
Hey, congratulations. :biggrin:

I passed level 3. I got 95/100, 100/100 and 193/200 (Vocabulary, Listening, Grammar). 97% overall.

...knew I should've taken 2級. :rolleyes:

Thinking of going for 1級 this year. They've changed it to make it harder now though so... don't know really.

Hey! Thank you and おめでとう on the near perfect results there. :five: If only we'd been chatting beforehand, I would've snooped over to the 3級 halls and said hi. You really should've taken 2.

Good luck with the 1級. Not sure when I'm going to take that one, got a lot of stuff happening this year, so I doubt I would be ready, but hey, I'll wait and see in September. Spending some time in Japan in the summer should greatly help, I'm sure. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest