The Student Room Group

2023 HKCCCSLM Acts100 Japan mission - I'm off again!

Thanks to God that I am called to set off again after a fruitful local mission last year!

Just like last year, this thread accounts my preparations and experiences during these 14 days. I hope all of you who saw this thread keep praying for me as I prepare for the trip, and long for the great things from God to happen during my trip!
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
We had our first team training today, as we got to know one another and had a close look at the spiritual needs of Japan through their culture. We also have to know how to have faith in God while collecting our sponsorship money for the trip. I need to raise an amount of HK$14100, which is a big sum!

Most importantly, we knew the place we are going, which is Sendai in the Tohoku region. This is a place I haven't been before.
Reply 2
The first donation is in!
It's $1000 from a majormate!
Reply 3
I just watched Suzume tonight. That film is 3rd in the Japanese box office for 2023, so I'm sure that a lot of people over there should have watched it.

This film covers about a lot of life-related topics and I found many scenes which can relate to our faith. I will recommend the rest of my team to watch the film if possible, so we can make our outreach tools based on the story of the film!
Reply 4
Currently there are 61 days until my departure. I have decided to build my Japanese vocabulary and grammar back up such that I can spread the word of God to the people there more easily. I have taken the N5 test years ago, and learnt N4 but didn't take the exam, so my target is to relearn the vocabulary up to lesson 40 of Minna No Nihongo, and grammar up to lesson 30. I will also draft out my testimony in Japanese, as well as the common phrases when I use outreach tools which I am using in my campus.
Reply 5
We had our second team time yesterday. We had a training on how to use relational evangelism in our outreach overseas, and set realistic expectations for our trip based on the spiritual background of the place we are going.

Then we reported our findings on Japanese culture and history, and the staff told us that we are the "12 spies" during our trip! This is because there was a ministry held by HKCCC staff in Sendai before but it was stopped in 2014, and they are about to start again in 2023!

We are heading mainly to Tohoku University for our outreach. This is one of the top 5 universities in Japan, so it's a really big field for us!

Prayer item: We are now struggling to buy plane tickets for the trip, as the price is so expensive. The suggested iternary from an agent costs a whopping HK$6300 but our budget for the tickets is around HK$4000. This means we have to consider even LCCs! May God provide us with a best option!

Our intended route is to fly from HK to Tokyo, then get the bullet train to Sendai.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 6
Currently I have went through to lesson 18 of the book, and found a lot of useful vocabulary and grammar to be used for my outreach. The last training also taught us some useful phrases. I have also gotten my pre trip preparation, which is to provide gift boxes for the three churches we are visiting, as well as gift packs to the people we met during outreach. Not just this, I will also enhance my understanding of the truth, so I can attack the forces of the devil during my trip.

By the way, it was the donation deadline last night, and I have reached HK$16450, which is more than enough. Praise the Lord for touching so many people to support me!

In addition, our plane tickets have been confirmed as follows:
7/6 Japan Airlines 730 9:40 HKG -> 15:05 NRT
20/6 Japan Airlines 739 19:30 NRT -> 23:05 HKG

This means an early start and a late finish, allowing God to use us to the most during these 2 weeks!
Reply 7
It's just four days until the departure of our 11 "Christian soldiers"!

HKCCCSLM had a prayer meeting for us this morning, wishing us all the best for the trip! Now we are about to buy gifts and pack up for the trip, then we will be assembled at 07:30 on the 7th!

I have also prepared questions about life from Suzume and Slam Dunk for opening the conversation with the people there, so I'm almost ready to go!
Reply 8
07/06/23 1555 GMT+9

We have landed at NRT around an hour ago, and will continue on to Sendai. We should get there between 1900 and 2000.
Reply 9
We are now on the bullet train and will arrive at 19:29
Reply 10
9/6/23
We walked around Sendai yesterday, knowing the needs of the city and its people.

And today is our first day outreaching at Tohoku Uni. I found that the most common major in the university is ME! That's my major!
I'm sure whenever I see an ME student, he/She will be really thrilled to know the first foreigner he/She knows is in the same major!
Reply 11
10/6/23 22:24
We went on outreach sessions at Tohoku University in the last 2 days, and chat with a total of 22 students.
I am really thankful that God has used me to reach 2 guys who have a common hobby with me today. These 2 guys belong to a rail fan society, and I had a great time with them. One guy even showed a book on how to score the best deals on JR (although I only understood like half of it!)
In terms of religion, I introduced that I am a Christian in a special way. I told them that a train from HK which retired in February this year had its last run on a Sunday morning, and I didn't go as I needed to go to church.
Reply 12
Sorry for the late update!

14/6/2023 18:15

Currently on the 17:45 from Matsushimakaigan to Sendai, after a retreat day. A sharing from a missionary is expected tonight.

Last Sunday, I shared my testimony at the Sunday service at the Sendai Bible Baptist Church, and we also sang a hymn for the congregation. After the service, many brothers and sisters stayed behind to chat with us, and one of them has actually been to Hong Kong last month! The pastor, who is in charge of all messages at the church, is about to depart on a three month sabbatical leave.

We had more outreach at Tohoku earlier this week, and I reached five students. The most memorable one is a boy from the piano society whose grandmother is a Christian, but she didn't bring him to church before. It's interesting that he has similar thoughts to religion as Christians do!

We also distributed meals to the homeless yesterday. I chatted with three of those people, with varying views on religion. One is a Buddhist, one is 50/50 about Japanese jinjia, and one doesn't have religion. All three haven't been to the temples.
Reply 13
15/6/2023
We went to two Christian private universities to take part in their ministries. We sang our song, Hanamo, in Shokei Gakuin University again, this time in a religious studies class as they gave us the stage. Another team member shared his testimony and they got to know us. We had origami and lunch with their students afterwards.
Then we went to the music worship service at Tohoku Gakuin University, which is followed by a chat corner. I chatted with a few boys, knowing the difficulties of being a Christian in Japan. We then had dinner with one of the girls we met.
Reply 14
16/6/2023
This is our last outreach day at Tohoku. Most remarkably, my pair invited one person to convert!
That was a guy in his first year, studying earth science. His mom is a Christian, and he remembered my speech at Sendai Bible Baptist Church on the 11th! Although he didn't accept the invitation, we trust that the work of God will continue in this person.
I can't believe that I spoke so much Japanese. Although I can only get around 50% of the conversations, God entrusted me with the ability to make friends with these people.
In the evening, we invited a guy we met on the 10th to dinner.
(edited 10 months ago)
Reply 15
The last four days were quite relaxing, including church, testimonies from missionaries, retreat and a lunch with JCCC SLM boss.
We also went to a gospel band concert on the 17th.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending