The Student Room Group

Where to study Japanese in UK? Help!!

Here's the list of potential uni's that offer Japanese BA:

East Anglia (UEA), Newcastle, Birkbeck, Durham, Exeter, Leeds, Oxford Brookes, Sheffield, SOAS, Cardiff, Central Lancashire, York St John

UEA & Newcastle are my current top picks. I don't have any language qualifications but both offer beginner Japanese. I'm looking to combine Japanese with something like Media as that's what I studied at sixth form.

My main focus is on the contact hours and the year abroad.

Anyone with knowledge on these uni's / their language departments, which is recommended?
first instinct is SOAS
Reply 2
Original post by Chi chi5
first instinct is SOAS

Noted. Is there anywhere outside of London you recommend?
Original post by user0471711

East Anglia (UEA), Newcastle, Birkbeck, Durham, Exeter, Leeds, Oxford Brookes, Sheffield, SOAS, Cardiff, Central Lancashire, York St John

UEA & Newcastle are my current top picks. I don't have any language qualifications but both offer beginner Japanese. I'm looking to combine Japanese with something like Media as that's what I studied at sixth form.

Anyone with knowledge on these uni's / their language departments, which is recommended?

I'd strongly recommend reading these two posts by a former user who studied Japanese at Edinburgh and has a lot of knowledge about it.

Also if your aim is attaining a high level of Japanese proficiency, do consider carefully the relative value (or possible lack thereof) in doing a joint honours degree. Also note basically all Japanese degrees I'm aware of teach it completely from scratch and assume no prior knowledge.

On Japanese courses/departments in the UK (note though SOAS has made some changes since this was posted and students no longer know each others results and apparently they've put in other measures to improve the previously sometimes toxic environment):

Spoiler

On study abroad options:

Spoiler

(edited 4 months ago)
Noted. Is there anywhere outside of London you recommend?

Newcastle is a good uni, but idk specifically about their language programmes

Hi @user0471711

Great to hear that you are interested in studying Japanese at university! Here at UCLan we do offer a full time 3 year BA (Hons) Modern Languages course which offers students the chance to study Japanese from a beginner level. This is great for students who have limited or no knowledge of the language. I can see that you are interested in the year abroad, this course comes with the option of spending your third year abroad, whether on a work placement, a study placement at a partner institution or as a Foreign Language Assistant in a school.

If you'd like to learn more about this course including entry requirements why not have a look at our course page here or you're welcome to contact our admissions team by email at [email protected] to explore your options.

I'd be more than happy to help answer any questions you may have.

All the best, 😊
Sarah

Hii, I’ve also applied to Newcastle for Japanese. Have you gotten an offer yet since I’m still waiting for it?
Oxford Brooke’s does very well for language esp Japanese
Original post by ghjhfdthbvft
Oxford Brooke’s does very well for language esp Japanese

Hi, Oxford Brookes is one of my options for Japanese. I’ve gotten an offer from them, SOAS and Edinburgh. Which would you say is the best option because I’m really struggling to decide what to put as my firm and insurance 😭. (I’m just wondering about your opinion because your one of the only people I’ve heard talk about Oxford brookes haha!!)
Reply 9
Original post by larissanuin
Hi, Oxford Brookes is one of my options for Japanese. I’ve gotten an offer from them, SOAS and Edinburgh. Which would you say is the best option because I’m really struggling to decide what to put as my firm and insurance 😭. (I’m just wondering about your opinion because your one of the only people I’ve heard talk about Oxford brookes haha!!)

I know you weren't asking me but I've heard really good stuff about Edinburgh. The uni itself is too high of a level for me to apply, some say it's up there with Oxford or Cambridge. Just what I've heard though. Also Scotland is a really great place to live. Out of those options, I'd personally choose Edinburgh. As for Oxford Brookes, a couple people have mentioned it's on an easier level than some, and progression was quite slow, so if your a quick paced learner then Oxford Brookes might not be the way to go. And for SOAS, the institution itself seems good, although the environment is apparently toxic. Supposedly they have put new rules in place recently to stop the toxicity though, but despite that, finding cheap end but good accommodation in London is very hard. I went to uni for a year in London and ended up in a bug infested place for £200/w... This is all on research & speculation, and personal opinion / experience so please do your own research and choose what's best for you!
(edited 3 months ago)
I know you weren't asking me but I've heard really good stuff about Edinburgh. The uni itself is too high of a level for me to apply, some say it's up there with Oxford or Cambridge. Just what I've heard though. Also Scotland is a really great place to live. Out of those options, I'd personally choose Edinburgh. As for Oxford Brookes, a couple people have mentioned it's on an easier level than some, and progression was quite slow, so if your a quick paced learner then Oxford Brookes might not be the way to go. And for SOAS, the institution itself seems good, although the environment is apparently toxic. Supposedly they have put new rules in place recently to stop the toxicity though, but despite that, finding cheap end but good accommodation in London is very hard. I went to uni for a year in London and ended up in a bug infested place for £200/w... This is all on research & speculation, and personal opinion / experience so please do your own research and choose what's best for you!

Ah ok this was really helpful, thank you so much. And yes I live in London and the prices for rent are astronomical so if I did end up in SOAS I’d just life at home I think. I do like a slower pace of learning so Oxford Brookes might be a good option. Idk I’ll just have to keep researching but this was really helpful, thank you for the reply :smile:)

Hey, I’m also deciding whether to put Brookes as my firm or my insurance, but I’ve been reading about the year abroad schemes to Japan they do with the course and the society’s they have which I LOVE. I think I will buy Brookes as my firm :smile: .
Original post by ghjhfdthbvft

Hey, I’m also deciding whether to put Brookes as my firm or my insurance, but I’ve been reading about the year abroad schemes to Japan they do with the course and the society’s they have which I LOVE. I think I will buy Brookes as my firm :smile: .

Put* hahah (but all in all I wooluld say to research about the location and the uni life and for me I feel Oxford is a city I will love and will have great people to meet :biggrin:

Hi,

That's a good line up. Well done on research!
Though I haven't looked up at the specific programs at other unis, SOAS offers an intensive course on Japanese, which means in your first year you will have 10 hours of weekly language instruction in Japanese. You will continue your Japanese in Year 2 and in Year 3, you will have the opportunity to attend one of our partner universities in Japan. You can find a full list here: https://www.soas.ac.uk/study/find-course/ba-japanese
I have several friends, who are doing doing BA Japanese and have spent a year in Japan, they have only good things to say. Then, of course, central London is unbeatable for student life.

Good luck with your applications! And do let me know if you have any other queries, I will try my best to help.

-A
MA Iranian Studies and Intensive Persian

Hi @user0471711

We are pleased to hear you are interested in our BA Japanese Studies course. Our programme is designed to provide an exciting learning experience and comes with several highlights that include:

-A year abroad in Japan: You will spend your third year at a university in Japan to help immerse yourself into the culture and also improve your language ability.
-Diverse study: In this course, we have a wide range of modules that may interest you such as manga and anime, learning Japanese through J-Pop as well as Japanese Cinema and Modern History.
-Excellent career prospects: Our graduates have secured roles at the Japanese Embassy, the Japan Foundation and Japanese businesses.

To learn more about our program, you can visit our website.

If you do have any questions regarding this course, please don't hesitate to contact us.

Best wishes,
Shannon
Admissions Office
Oxford Brookes University

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending