The Student Room Group

general university questions

hi im planning to go uni hopefully this year. some questions:

Do university students get a certificate every year, like if they completed their first year, would they get a certificate with the result/grade they got?or do you get one right at the end after you graduate?also when do university students get their results for the exams? is it earlier than gcse and a level? also is it true that it doesnt get sent to an exam board, but your professor marks them himself??

thanks
Original post by thephatone

Do university students get a certificate every year, like if they completed their first year, would they get a certificate with the result/grade they got?or do you get one right at the end after you graduate?also when do university students get their results for the exams? is it earlier than gcse and a level? also is it true that it doesnt get sent to an exam board, but your professor marks them himself??

thanks

I can only speak from my experience with uni so bare that in mind:

1) Once results are out you get a "transcript" some universities may mail it to you, mine is via the university online system. The transcript tells you the grades for the year, but it's not a certificate. You'll get your certificate at graduation. (assuming all unis do the same as mine).

2)Results time will vary per uni as they have varying term date beginnings and ends, some universities will start their year in september, others october ect. So results time will vary per uni. I don't know when GCSE and A-level results are, but I got my results at the end of June.

3) University exams are marked by university staff yes, then a certain percentage of the exams are sent off to an "external marker" this is someone not affiliated with the university who re-marks the exam, They do this to ensure unfair grades or advantages aren't being given. There are no "exam boards" at university as universities set their own curriculum. Though some courses are "accredited" which means the course has to adhere to certain content topics and experience to be labelled as accredited. But chances are you won't be taking one of these courses as most course aren't accredited.
(edited 7 years ago)

thanks

You get your results at the end of each year but a certificate at the end.

I got my results in middle of June having finished exams at the end of May

Yes your lecturers will mark it. / some coursework at least at my uni was marked by PhD students
Again from experience:

1) You get a transcript of some sort for each set of results, it will be part of your HEAR report if your uni does that. Then once you graduate you get your diploma saying which class degree you got

2) You usually get results ~4-6 weeks after the end of exams, between the end of June and mid July depending on the uni.

3) (edited: thought you said is it easier than GCSE/A level lol but I'll leave the answer up) Depends on the person and how you adapt to uni, some will find it much harder than A levels as the nature of how you need to study changes and you have to learn a lot more, others will find it much easier because the difficulty of concepts tends to stagnate and you're focusing on things you're highly interested in.

4) At my uni exams are marked externally and then moderated by several other external and internal staff, so it's arguably a safer system than with GCSEs and A levels. Coursework is marked by professors and PhD students however.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
As above, depends on the uni and the course. At my undergrad uni:

Do university students get a certificate every year, like if they completed their first year, would they get a certificate with the result/grade they got?

Only if you left at that point, after successfully passing the year. Certificate of Higher Education (CertHE) after the first year and Diploma of Higher Education (DipHE) after your second year. If you pass but continue to the next year, you don't get anything apart from a letter with your year's results.

or do you get one right at the end after you graduate?

Yes. You will get an official degree certificate and a full transcript of all your module results over your entire degree course.

also when do university students get their results for the exams? is it earlier than gcse and a level?

It can be very variable. Most of my results were posted in late June. However this year some modules are shared with another deoartment whose exam board doesn't sit until this week. Results will be posted late July/early August.

also is it true that it doesnt get sent to an exam board, but your professor marks them himself??

An exam board isn't involved in initial marking. Your lecturers will do the first marking, then a proportion of papers will be sent to another person for second marking to check that the marks are correct (the top 5%, the bottom 5% and 5% of papers in between which are picked at random). The exam board sits after this, to ensure that marking has been consistent and that any applications for Extenuating Circumstances are properly considered and either properly applied or rejected. The exam board will also investigate unusual situations e.g. where there has been an unexpectedly high failure rate. They can consider whether the exam questions were fair, correctly worded etc., and whether there should be an adjustment to marks if flaws are identified.
(edited 7 years ago)

thanks

Hello :smile:

The following is based on my personal experiences from my time at university.

A) Genuinely no, students do not get a certificate at the end of every year. However, other universities may do so - it just depends. Usually it is at the end of university - that's when you receive your degree.

B) Regarding results from exams, from my experience, it's around a month until you get grades back.

C) Some get sent to an external exam board but mainly your lecturers mark them themselves.

Hope this answers your questions a little!
Reply 6
thanks 4 all ya help

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending