The Student Room Group

Further Maths question!!?

Ive done my AS in maths and im gonna do the A2 next year.
I did c1,c2 and m1. Is it possible to do the further maths AS level next year and do the following: FP1, S1 and M1? I know the M1s clash, but is that possible if I do the further maths IAL since that's international and the maths a level isnt?
Original post by Lana348
Ive done my AS in maths and im gonna do the A2 next year.
I did c1,c2 and m1. Is it possible to do the further maths AS level next year and do the following: FP1, S1 and M1? I know the M1s clash, but is that possible if I do the further maths IAL since that's international and the maths a level isnt?

I don't think you are not allowed to take the same maths module for two different qualifications, even if from different exam boards, so you would be unable to do M1 twice. Another option could be S1, D1, FP1.

EDIT: On page 87 of the IAL spec, it states this specifically:
Units that contribute to an award in Mathematics may not also be used for an award in Further Mathematics. Students who have obtained or who are in the process of obtaining IAL in Mathematics with an awarding body other than Pearson should contact the awarding body to check requirements for IAL Further Mathematics.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 2
Thank you!! Do you know which would be more difficult between s2 and d1?
Original post by Lana348
Thank you!! Do you know which would be more difficult between s2 and d1?

S2 is an A2 module by defenition, and D1 is an AS module. I don't have any experience with S2, however I did take D1. D1 involves quite a bit of memory learning the algorithms and definitions, but it is mostly just using them and applying them to questions as opposed to making inferences or deductions.

Tagging someone who will be able to tell you a bit about S2 - @Zacken :smile:
Reply 4
So is D1 comparatively easy? How would you rank it compared to C1/c2 for example?
Original post by Lana348
So is D1 comparatively easy? How would you rank it compared to C1/c2 for example?

I personally found D1 about the same level of difficulty as C1, however I did do Computing at GCSE and AS Level beforehand, so I already had some experience of algorithms and problem solving required by D1.

It is quite weird in a sense that there is no real "pure" maths needed, except a knowledge of inequalities and solving simultaneous equations when it comes to the linear programming chapter. However I quite enjoyed the module on the whole.

Quick Reply

Latest