The Student Room Group

Dropping Further Maths?

I did badly in Further Maths for my end of years and teachers are telling me to drop further maths, but I wanted to drop Chemistry because I did worse in that than Further Maths. Do you think this is a good idea?
Coming from a Chemist who didn't drop Chemistry. If you don't like Chemistry now, it only gets worse. I take maths, and didn't take further, so obviously I'm biased, but Further Maths will make your Maths A-Level stronger, and all chemistry does is take time away from your other A-Levels. What did you get?
Reply 2
Original post by Shinei17
I did badly in Further Maths for my end of years and teachers are telling me to drop further maths, but I wanted to drop Chemistry because I did worse in that than Further Maths. Do you think this is a good idea?

Heya!
What are you thinking of doing in the future? What is required in the entry requirements? Consider the importance of each subject for your intended career path and seek advice from your teachers, parents, and career counsellors to make an informed decision. It's crucial to choose a subject that you enjoy and have the potential to excel in, as this can positively impact your motivation and academic success :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind
Reply 3
Original post by jean_eggshells
Coming from a Chemist who didn't drop Chemistry. If you don't like Chemistry now, it only gets worse. I take maths, and didn't take further, so obviously I'm biased, but Further Maths will make your Maths A-Level stronger, and all chemistry does is take time away from your other A-Levels. What did you get?

I practically failed Chemistry, but I don't really enjoy studying it.
Reply 4
Original post by StudyMind
Heya!
What are you thinking of doing in the future? What is required in the entry requirements? Consider the importance of each subject for your intended career path and seek advice from your teachers, parents, and career counsellors to make an informed decision. It's crucial to choose a subject that you enjoy and have the potential to excel in, as this can positively impact your motivation and academic success :h:

I hope this helps!
Milena
UCL PFE
Study Mind

I want to do Theoretical Physics, but looking at my grades now - it's nowhere near the A's
Original post by Shinei17
I want to do Theoretical Physics, but looking at my grades now - it's nowhere near the A's

I'm planning on doing physics at uni in October. I got BBC in my y12 end of years, the C in maths, chemistry is by far my least favourite now, and my maths is better. Theoretical physics is a maths dominated topic, and I remember preparing my application in September thinking, why didn't anyone tell me oxbridge and standrews expect further maths? I don't know what you got, and I don't know how difficult further maths is for you right now, but, in retrospect, I'd have taken further maths in a heartbeat before chemistry. Speak to your teachers, talk about what you want to do at uni, revise your further maths content from this year, and read ahead, you can do this.
Reply 6
I have recently found that when I go to exams, the nerves overtake me because when I do the questions - I can do them like they are completely fine. I looked over the paper and there were questions that I made a silly mistake, causing me to lose at least 20 marks, so I think I learned my lesson to check my work thoroughly and be cautious, I guess.

Original post by jean_eggshells
I'm planning on doing physics at uni in October. I got BBC in my y12 end of years, the C in maths, chemistry is by far my least favourite now, and my maths is better. Theoretical physics is a maths dominated topic, and I remember preparing my application in September thinking, why didn't anyone tell me oxbridge and standrews expect further maths? I don't know what you got, and I don't know how difficult further maths is for you right now, but, in retrospect, I'd have taken further maths in a heartbeat before chemistry. Speak to your teachers, talk about what you want to do at uni, revise your further maths content from this year, and read ahead, you can do this.

Quick Reply

Latest