The Student Room Group

Is Surrey uni good?

I have it as insurance but am unsure if I should go through clearing instead if I don't get into my firm? Its for Physics and in clearing I liked the look of bristol, york, and exeter?
Ive not visited any of the ones in clearing though so would it be worth it? Are the unis in clearing a lot better than surrey?
Although I really liked surrey on the open day I'm worried its not a respected enough uni?
Reply 1
Original post by MaySouth17
I have it as insurance but am unsure if I should go through clearing instead if I don't get into my firm? Its for Physics and in clearing I liked the look of bristol, york, and exeter?
Ive not visited any of the ones in clearing though so would it be worth it? Are the unis in clearing a lot better than surrey?
Although I really liked surrey on the open day I'm worried its not a respected enough uni?

Surrey is a great uni and has a vg physics course - but it does not have the overall kudos/reputation of Bristol/York/Exeter. Surrey is a university in the ascendant- but it has, for example, a school of nursing, not a full medical school. There is snobbery attached to the reputation of many universities, formed in part by where most private school pupils go. Surrey is about 90% state school students, has more practical subjects (and impractical - it absorbed the Guildford school of drama) and therein lies the problem.

Do not be put off by doing physics there - it has a good rep for physics, is championed by Jim Al Khalili, and has excellent connections with other unis and businesses for a placement year, which is probably the most important thing you can do in terms of future employability, aside from getting a 1st/2i. If you want a career in physics remember that all unis have to follow the same core subjects to get IoP accreditation - so they all cover the same core. Look to see what the optional subjects are - if you think there is enough of a choice for you.

If you think you may leave physics - then maybe consider another uni which has greater snob value. Remember that employers have no real idea where unis are in the league tables for individual subjects - and that they are probably 20-25 years older than you, so remember which unis were the prestigious ones in their day. Surrey would be a respectable choice, but not a prestigious one.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending