The Student Room Group

Cardiff or Surrey for Undergrad Bsc Computer Science

Hello,

Im a mature student, 22, and planning to study computer science. I did my Alevel in 2019 in Mathematics, Computer Science and Physics... grade ABB respectively.

While looking at universities, Surrey and Cardiff are good options ive found that have an ABB entry requirement but i want to know which is better for comp sci.

I dont really care much about night life/clubbing and my main priority would be to go to the acedemically superior uni that helps me in understanding the subject and finding a better job.

Does russell group unis really matter in the case of cardiff or is surrey better.

Thanks for any advice guys!
Original post by HanSeaulo
Hello,

Im a mature student, 22, and planning to study computer science. I did my Alevel in 2019 in Mathematics, Computer Science and Physics... grade ABB respectively.

While looking at universities, Surrey and Cardiff are good options ive found that have an ABB entry requirement but i want to know which is better for comp sci.

I dont really care much about night life/clubbing and my main priority would be to go to the acedemically superior uni that helps me in understanding the subject and finding a better job.

Does russell group unis really matter in the case of cardiff or is surrey better.

Thanks for any advice guys!
Hi there!

Happy to hear you're considering Surrey.

Teaching quality and academia depends more on the individual university than which groups it's associated to. There are some excellent Russell Group universities, just as there are equally excellent universities that are not part of the group.

Surrey ranks higher both overall and in computer science specifically in different tables such as Complete University Guide and The Guardian.

However, apart from rankings, which can be very divisive, it is you that actually completes your experience at university. If you're unhappy with where you are, it's more likely that you'll not perform as well as you can. That is why open days are so important. You can have a look here to register your interest in visiting. If you can't come for an open day, you're free to visit campus independently to get a feel for what it's like here.

We also have Unibuddy, where you can chat to different students online and ask them questions about student life and teaching quality, if you prefer.

As a mature student myself, I have been extremely well received and taken care of by Surrey, and I'm sure that would be your experience too.

Let me know if you have more questions 🙂

Hope this helps!

Marko
Accounting and Finance BSc
Reply 2
Think about city university

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending