The Student Room Group

Offer Decision: QMUL OR SURREY for Mech Engineering

Hi everyone,

im rather new to TSR so don’t really know the best way in which to ask a question on this website, but i was hoping i could get help with a decision. I have offers from both Surrey and QMUL for mechanical engineering but am not sure on which one to pick due to a few reasons which i will state below.
- Firstly surrey is ranked higher than QMUL for mech engineering in almost all ‘trustable’ ranking tables however QMUL is a russel group
- secondly My offer from surrey is BBB whereas my offer from QMUL is ABB, this specifically inclines me towards surrey due to the grades being easier to acheive however there is one major issue it costs a heck lot of money for me to travel to surrey as i will have to take the south western(does anyone know anyway i can get a better deal on tickets if i do end up firming surrey) it will roughly cost me 16 pounds.
- in conclusion surrey stands out more to me as it is ranked higher, has higher employability rates and offers many very good work experience opertunities however QMUL is a russel group university and is closer to me(it would take me 40 mins to get to QMUL and roughly 1hr 20 mins to get to surrey which i can firm however it is so much more expensive travelling to surrey), if anyone can help that would be great.
Original post by random123786
Hi everyone,

im rather new to TSR so don’t really know the best way in which to ask a question on this website, but i was hoping i could get help with a decision. I have offers from both Surrey and QMUL for mechanical engineering but am not sure on which one to pick due to a few reasons which i will state below.
- Firstly surrey is ranked higher than QMUL for mech engineering in almost all ‘trustable’ ranking tables however QMUL is a russel group
- secondly My offer from surrey is BBB whereas my offer from QMUL is ABB, this specifically inclines me towards surrey due to the grades being easier to acheive however there is one major issue it costs a heck lot of money for me to travel to surrey as i will have to take the south western(does anyone know anyway i can get a better deal on tickets if i do end up firming surrey) it will roughly cost me 16 pounds.
- in conclusion surrey stands out more to me as it is ranked higher, has higher employability rates and offers many very good work experience opertunities however QMUL is a russel group university and is closer to me(it would take me 40 mins to get to QMUL and roughly 1hr 20 mins to get to surrey which i can firm however it is so much more expensive travelling to surrey), if anyone can help that would be great.

No one really cares about rankings, whilst qmul is RG for engineering they are not really known much as a research or innovation powerhouse within engineering.

I haven’t known any qmul grads in engineering in industry, id say surrey has the better rep although no one would particularly favor one uni or the other in an interview but i do think Surrey likely gets more employers for engineering on campus.
(edited 12 months ago)
Reply 2
Original post by random123786
Hi everyone,

Same boat as u tbh but for aerospace cl I ended up with Sheffield as firm idek how and why and Surrey for insurance btw if u do end up going go by car or take the eliz line to Heathrow and take the ra2 bus takes in total 150 mins for me and costs about 2.9k a year for this. Calculated
(edited 12 months ago)
Hi @random123786

I'm happy to hear you're considering studying at Surrey :smile:

University of Surrey is home to industry-leading research centres such as the Surrey Space Centre and 5G/6G Innovation Centre. Surrey is highly regarded in university tables for a good reason. The university is well known for being big in research output, so you need not worry in relation to that.

Employer relationships with Surrey are also very strong, and Mechanical Engineering graduates often end up working for big players such as Lockheed Martin, Jaguar Land Rover, ExxonMobil, and many others.

About transport prices, it will depend where you live. However, I agree with @hamza986676 about Heathrow buses. They do come in handy when you can access them. Maybe have a look into that?

I hope you decide to join us!

Marko
2nd Year Student in BSc Accounting and Finance
Reply 4
Original post by hamza986676
Same boat as u tbh but for aerospace cl I ended up with Sheffield as firm idek how and why and Surrey for insurance btw if u do end up going go by car or take the eliz line to Heathrow and take the ra2 bus takes in total 150 mins for me and costs about 2.9k a year for this. Calculated

Thanks for your reply brother, appreciate it will take that into consideration.
Reply 5
Original post by University of Surrey Student Rep
Hi @random123786

I'm happy to hear you're considering studying at Surrey :smile:

University of Surrey is home to industry-leading research centres such as the Surrey Space Centre and 5G/6G Innovation Centre. Surrey is highly regarded in university tables for a good reason. The university is well known for being big in research output, so you need not worry in relation to that.

Employer relationships with Surrey are also very strong, and Mechanical Engineering graduates often end up working for big players such as Lockheed Martin, Jaguar Land Rover, ExxonMobil, and many others.

About transport prices, it will depend where you live. However, I agree with @hamza986676 about Heathrow buses. They do come in handy when you can access them. Maybe have a look into that?

I hope you decide to join us!

Marko
2nd Year Student in BSc Accounting and Finance

Thank you for taking the time to reply to this Marlon this has reassured me even more to choose Surrey.

Quick Reply

Latest