The Student Room Group

Quick maths problem! Help *ASAP*

Hey, I'm working on a non-math project and I've come across a maths problem I can't solve. I'm not a maths student so this isn't my expertise.

Population A has 34m. Population B has 251m.
A provided 60% of the soldiers in the war whilst B only provided 40%.

Population corrected - what is the per capita contributions for each country? In terms of percentage since, unfortunately, I do not have a numerical number.

Thanks a bunch!
Original post by OxyMoron95
Hey, I'm working on a non-math project and I've come across a maths problem I can't solve. I'm not a maths student so this isn't my expertise.

Population A has 34m. Population B has 251m.
A provided 60% of the soldiers in the war whilst B only provided 40%.

Population corrected - what is the per capita contributions for each country? In terms of percentage since, unfortunately, I do not have a numerical number.

Thanks a bunch!

Can you clarify; are you asking for the amount of contribution from each person within a county? I don't think that's a thing because only 60% of A's population and 40% of B's population contributed so it leaves the rest who do not contribute by not getting provided as soldiers. You can't distribute contribution onto those who didn't get sent.
Reply 2
Original post by RDKGames
Can you clarify; are you asking for the amount of contribution from each person within a county? I don't think that's a thing because only 60% of A's population and 40% of B's population contributed so it leaves the rest who do not contribute by not getting provided as soldiers. You can't distribute contribution onto hose who didn't get sent.

Let me explain my goal.

I'll spare the details but there was a war that occurred. Two countries provided roughly the same amount of troops (60% vs 40%). However, I am trying to show that country A did in fact do a far greater contribution given they have a vastly smaller population. Whatever statistic / equation of me showing this would be appreciated.

I assumed I'd use per capita... Yes I know many didn't serve in the war but it would demonstrate the average based on how much they contributed vs the countries population.

In summary: I'm asking how do I show a population corrected contribution of each country?

Perhaps a X amount of soldiers per 100,000 would be better... But again the only info I have is how the percentages were split between the two countries... I don't have any numerical data to go off since the war is so old.

Cheers for the help
(edited 7 years ago)
Two countries provided roughly the same amount of troops (60% vs 40%).

They didn't. A sent 13,600,000 soldiers while B sent 100,400,000 so they are not even roughly the same.

However, I am trying to show that country A did in fact do a far greater contribution given they have a vastly smaller population.

This depends on what you consider as a contribution; if a contribution is the amount of troops that were sent then obviously B contributes more. Since A sends more than 50% of their population, then A has a higher risk than B which would be good enough to say that this is more important to A than B.

If you wanted some sort of statistic for each country sending people then I suppose you can take this:
A - for every 1 person that doesn't go, 1.5 people go. Hence giving a ratio of 2:3 for those who dont to people who do.
B - for every 1 person that doesn't go, 0.666... people go. Hence giving a ratio of 3:2 of people who dont to people who do.
Clearly you can see that A holds a greater stake in this, but B contributed more due to the amount of troops.

Edit: This is also assuming that everyone within the population is a "soldier" so to speak, unless those populations are country's armies rather than populations of countries.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
They didn't. A sent 13,600,000 soldiers while B sent 100,400,000 so they are not even roughly the same.

This depends on what you consider as a contribution; if a contribution is the amount of troops that were sent that obviously B contributes more. Since A sends more than 50% of their population, then A has a higher risk than B which would be good enough to say that this is more important to A than B.

If you wanted some sort of statistic for each country sending people then I suppose you can take this:
A - for every 1 person that doesn't go, 1.5 people go. Hence giving a ratio of 2:3 for those who dont to people who do.
B - for every 1 person that doesn't go, 0.666... people go. Hence giving a ratio of 3:2 of people who dont to people who do.
Clearly you can see that A holds a greater stake in this, but B contributed more due to the amount of troops.

You misunderstand. FYI I was sparing details I am aware there is a 20% difference. I didn't mean they sent 60% & 40% of their respective populations. I mean out of what was sent... 60% belonged to country A and 40% belonged to country B.

Country A did indeed send more despite their population.

Those points you wrote on A & B... Are they still accurate given what I said above?

Thanks for the help btw. I understand it's not easy without numbers.

Btw could I not divide both populations until they reach 1m... then divide the original % by the same.

So it'd look like this:
Country A provided 1.76% of the total (combined) contribution, per million population.
Country B provided 0.14% of the total (combined) contribution, per million population.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by TheBride
You could point out that if they were considered as a single area, A is 12% of the population whereas B is 88% (34+251=285, 34/285=0.12)

Posted from TSR Mobile

So you'd say country A, with only 12% of the population, provided 60% of the contributions.

I take it that's as far as you go... There's no way of combining the 12% with the 60% (in some equation) to come out with a contribution per population answer?

Thanks tho
You misunderstand. FYI I was sparing details I am aware there is a 20% difference. I didn't mean they sent 60% & 40% of their respective populations. I mean out of what was sent... 60% belonged to country A and 40% belonged to country B.

Country A did indeed send more despite their population.

Those points you wrote on A & B... Are they still accurate given what I said above?

Thanks for the help btw. I understand it's not easy without numbers.

Btw could I not divide both populations until they reach 1m... then divide the original % by the same.

So it'd look like this:
Country A provided 1.76% of the total (combined) contribution, per million population.
Country B provided 0.14% of the total (combined) contribution, per million population.

Ah I see, that spices things up a little and as TheBride pointed out, you'd need the total amount of soldiers for each country otherwise you are forced to give answers using algebra. I'll have a think and get back to you with anything meaningful I might come up with. And no my A and B points are not valid as they count on the entire population of the country.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 7
Ah I see, that spices things up a little and as TheBride pointed out, you'd need the total amount of soldiers for each country otherwise you are forced to give answers using algebra. I'll have a think and get back to you with anything meaningful I might come up with. And no my A and B points are not valid as they count on the entire population of the country.

I see that's fine. Well right now all I have is x amount of population provided x amount of soldiers.

If you can think of anything, be it points (like above), ratios or anything I'd appreciate it.

Could I turn it into a ratio using each percentage, so 12% provided 60% = 12:60 = 6:30 = 3:15 = 1:5 ?

Cheers.
(edited 7 years ago)
I see that's fine. Well right now all I have is x amount of population provided x amount of soldiers.

If you can think of anything, be it points (like above), ratios or anything I'd appreciate it.

Could I turn it into a ratio using each percentage, so 12% provided 60% = 12:60 = 6:30 = 3:15 = 1:5 ?

Cheers.

No, that's not valid either.

Quick Reply

Latest