The Student Room Group

Didn't make many friends during first year at uni - don't want to go back...

Hi,

I finished my first year of university in mid-May, and I'm going back on the 25th September. I'm really starting to worry about going back now. When I'm actually at university I don't mind it that much, although I tend to spend most of my day watching Netflix or YouTube alone in my room. I'm living with the same people I lived with last year, and, although I do get along with them, I don't speak to them that much. I have a couple of friends from my course who I only started to go out with in the later part of the uni year, but I don't really feel a strong bond with them. During freshers last year I tried so hard to make friends, going to society taster events, going on pub crawls, but I just couldn't get into a friendship group. I've thought about dropping out of uni but it seems too late now. The main reason is the friends situation, but also because I have to cook and shop for myself (yes, I'm an extremely lazy bastard).
Any advice? I ended up not joining any of the societies as none really caught my eye. I'm not going to freshers week this year as my birthday falls within freshers week and I'd rather spend it with my family. I also believe I suffer from anxiety, although I've never been diagnosed. I tend to try and avoid social situations with people I'm not used to, which obviously makes it hard for me to make friends.
Try getting to know your flat mates more and speak to them more often. Try speaking to as many people as you can at university. It will be a good experience for you to open up and find some friends.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending