The Student Room Group

Too sick to do freshers week

Heyy
I’m starting uni in like a week and a bit and of course this is the time my eczema chooses to flare up and stop me going on nights out
So now I’m just worried that I’ll miss the chance to make friends by not being able to go out on nights out during freshers week 😭
Reply 1
You still have a week to get the flare under control. But if you are too sick, you can still make friends without going on all the nights out. Good luck!
Original post by Anonymous
Heyy
I’m starting uni in like a week and a bit and of course this is the time my eczema chooses to flare up and stop me going on nights out
So now I’m just worried that I’ll miss the chance to make friends by not being able to go out on nights out during freshers week 😭

Hi,
Im so sorry this has come at such an inconvenient time!
There are definitely plenty of opportunities to make friends that don't involve nights out (such as course mates, flatmates, daytime activities and societies) so try not to stress yourself out about this. There will also be plenty of opportunities to go on nights out once you are feeling better so don't worry about missing on those first nights. Make sure to take care of yourself in the meantime as there are usually lots of germs going around during freshers week.
Hope this is helpful! Faye :smile:
Heyy

Hi there

Sorry to hear that you are not feeling too well.

There are many opportunities to meet friends at University, and not just nights out during freshers week. :smile:

Perhaps you can also look at day-time fresher fair activities if you are feeling well enough by then. If not, you could always check your Student Union website to see what events they will be hosting after fresher's week. There should be many other events that are open to freshers. :smile:

Another thing you could do, is look on the social media pages of societies that interest you. They will normally be hosting welcome events after/ during fresher's week. (Even if their welcome events have passed, you can always look at other events they host).

There are many opportunities to meet new people at University outside of fresher's week, so do not over worry yourself.

Hope you get better soon.

Chloe
- University of Kent Student Rep
Heyy

Hi Anon,

Sorry to hear you're not feeling well!

It's unfortunate timing, but hopefully you can get it under control in the short time you have. If you're too unwell however, there are loads of opportunities to make friends that don't involve going on nights out during fresher's week. There will be loads of activities happening during the day, and you can always make friends through your course, part-time work, accommodation, sports and societies, and anything else you do!

Please don't worry too much, you will definitely get the chance to go on nights out in the future, and you'll have the opportunity to make friends all throughout the year.

I hope this is reassuring, and get well soon!
Isabella
Heyy

:console:
it could be worth making a GP appointment? They might be able to prescribe something you could use to try and ease it :hugs: Especially since starting uni and moving to uni is pretty stressful, which could be making your flareup worse
(edited 7 months ago)
Heyy

Hello!
I'm one of the student ambassadors here at Coventry University.
If you're unable to go to freshers, it really isn't the end of the world.
Usually, you'll find you make so many friends within your first few weeks on your course as everyone is in the same boat as you, this means it'll be easier for you to make more friends.
I didn't go to any freshers in my first year at uni, and although it's recommended, you are still able to make friends outside of freshers.

Kind regards,
Courtney H
Heyy

Hey there!

I struggle with eczema as well and I ended up having to move my doctors to my uni city because the flare ups were so bad that I needed things prescribing quite often and it was always a pain to get home just for that. I remember having a flare up during my freshers week because it was freezing and my skin always just splits during the colder months. It probably isn't the best advice but I just powered through it haha, constantly moisturising and using doctors creams. I made sure no one was tipping drinks on me where my skin had split and wore things that covered my flare ups.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending