The Student Room Group

US qualifications for UK university?

Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum & hope someone might have some information for me. We're a UK based British family with a son studying for GCSEs. After GCSE he wants to study in the States (he's been offered a place) but he is anxious that he might struggle to get in to a UK uni on his return. Does anyone have any experience of this? I know we're approaching this quite early but if he is going to accept the US offer for September 2017 we need to get our ducks in a row. If it helps he is a music scholar and is interested in music and theatre arts..... Thanks in advance for any advice or info!
Reply 1
Original post by pippafk
Hi everyone, I'm new to this forum & hope someone might have some information for me. We're a UK based British family with a son studying for GCSEs. After GCSE he wants to study in the States (he's been offered a place) but he is anxious that he might struggle to get in to a UK uni on his return. Does anyone have any experience of this? I know we're approaching this quite early but if he is going to accept the US offer for September 2017 we need to get our ducks in a row. If it helps he is a music scholar and is interested in music and theatre arts..... Thanks in advance for any advice or info!

Universities are used to accepting students with US qualifications. Check the specific entry requirements for some courses your son might be interested in.

e.g. (picking at random) Music Tech at Surrey - asking ABB for A-levels
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/creative-music-technology

They then give you a table to compare the ABB requirement with equivalent US qualifications
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/north-america/united-states-america#qualification

AP: 544
SAT: 1800 in three SAT Reasoning Tests (combined) and 650 in three SAT Subject Tests (each)
SAT & AP: 650 in two SAT Subject Tests (each) and 54 in two AP subjects
ACT: 28
Reply 2
Fantastic. Thanks so much. I really appreciate the swift reply & will look in to it.

Kind regards, Pippa

Original post by jneill
Universities are used to accepting students with US qualifications. Check the specific entry requirements for some courses your son might be interested in.

e.g. (picking at random) Music Tech at Surrey - asking ABB for A-levels
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/undergraduate/creative-music-technology

They then give you a table to compare the ABB requirement with equivalent US qualifications
http://www.surrey.ac.uk/north-america/united-states-america#qualification

AP: 544
SAT: 1800 in three SAT Reasoning Tests (combined) and 650 in three SAT Subject Tests (each)
SAT & AP: 650 in two SAT Subject Tests (each) and 54 in two AP subjects
ACT: 28
Reply 3
Original post by pippafk
Fantastic. Thanks so much. I really appreciate the swift reply & will look in to it.

Kind regards, Pippa

It's definitely worth researching this carefully. But keep in mind entry requirements can change from year to year. And it might be worth double-checking with the admissions department at a few universities to be sure.

And, just off the top of my head, it's important he retains his Home (UK) status for university fees purposes. International fees at UK universities are very high.

Good luck to him (and you!) :smile:
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by pippafk

Kind regards, Pippa

Hi Pippa, are you related to Kate by any chance??
Reply 5
Um, no... I have no relation called Kate!

Original post by john2054
Hi Pippa, are you related to Kate by any chance??
Reply 6
Original post by pippafk
Um, no... I have no relation called Kate!

Never mind, is your son going by himself, it will be quite a big move. I have done some moocs with u.s. universities, which were of a high standard. But i have also had feedbadk from some of my uni friends, that it is quite easy to do well at a us university, given the right work ethic. she did the erasamus there for a year.
Reply 7
Original post by pippafk
To emphasise the point @jneill made about eligibility for home fees - I strongly advise you to check with SFE what would apply in your son's specific circumstances, if he takes up this place. You don't want to find yourself looking at huge fees and no loan entitlement.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending