The Student Room Group

I don't know the first thing about universities, and I'm going there next year

Hi.
So I'm currently experiencing a problem, I'll be studying (hoping for Manchester) next year, and I'm not really close with anyone who went to university. Basically, I don't know anything, not even the very basics. So I've a couple of questions:
1) Is your knowledge tested only via tests or are there also other methods?
2) Where/when must you wear your uniform?
3) How crucial will be the fact that English isn't my first language and I'm not too good at it especially at speaking (I come from Norway)?
4) How much money would a single en-suite luxurious place cost in the campus of a good uni? Btw although money isn't an issue at all, I wouldn't want to miss the social part of going to uni...
5) I've heard that some courses like philosophy for instance have less than 7 classes per week. Is this true, it seems very stupid, why should people pay hundreds of pounds monthly for a few classes? Also, do you have to go to jobs to practice your course?
6) I am interested in law and medicine. How long do these two courses last and how difficult are they? Also how are they in Manchester?
7) How many people are usually in one "building" in the campus?
Original post by Anonymous
1) Is your knowledge tested only via tests or are there also other methods?

Depends entirely on the specific course.

You can be assessed solely by one method or a combination of items, such as presentation, group project, forum posting, attendance, open-book assignment, essay, dissertation, research proposal, report, practical performance etc.

2) Where/when must you wear your uniform?

Depends on the university.

At the University of Manchester, as far as I know only at your graduation must you wear the academic dress.

At an ancient university such as Oxford, the academic dress may be required to wear in multiple different events (eg matriculation, graduation, Enaceia, viva, disciplinary hearing, examination etc) and the gown may be required in some other events (eg guest night dinners, formal hall dinners etc).

3) How crucial will be the fact that English isn't my first language and I'm not too good at it especially at speaking (I come from Norway)?

Not crucial as long as you have reached a certain level of proficiency.

4) How much money would a single en-suite luxurious place cost in the campus of a good uni? Btw although money isn't an issue at all, I wouldn't want to miss the social part of going to uni...

Depends on the location.

5) I've heard that some courses like philosophy for instance have less than 7 classes per week. Is this true, it seems very stupid, why should people pay hundreds of pounds monthly for a few classes? Also, do you have to go to jobs to practice your course?

That is possible, but it depends on the specific course at the specific university.

People would pay for it because:
1) most don't actually pay for anything as they get money from their parents or a loan from the government so it doesn't really feel like they're paying anything;
2. the piece of paper in the end is believed to be worth it.

Only with certain professional degrees must you pass practica. Professional degrees are usually courses that give you a professional qualification in the end, and they usually take more time to complete. Examples are medicine, nursing, dentistry, and education.

Some people consider courses such as law or accountancy professional degrees, with the former more recognized than the latter. But they don't give you a professional qualification and don't contain any integral professioonal practice.

7) How many people are usually in one "building" in the campus?

Depends on how big the building is, what time of the day it is, and what day of the year it is.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending