The Student Room Group

fumbled my OSCE

I'm a first-year physio student at St Georges and I just had my first real OSCE- pretty sure I failed

The anatomy questions I definitely got 0 marks because I reviewed them later, communication I fumbled. I accidentally put the practice patient in an uncomfortable physical position and only realised right at the end when I adjusted the bed. I don't know if that would have fixed the situation and I wouldn't have lost the marks.I asked for consent but I forgot to introduce myself or explain what I was doing.

Out of the 7 questions, there's only 1 question I think I did ok on.

I was the only one who didn't sit the practice OSCEs because of being hospitalised, so this was my first experience ever, and I don't think it could have gotten worse

I'm pretty sure I failed, I don't know where I'd get the 40% marks from. Results are going to be submitted in 4 weeks and I'm only going to be stressing until then and thinking about resists in August

I've never had to resit an exam before. I feel mentally at my worst, and physically at a low too. I just can't get this horrible experience out of my mind.

Any advice of what I can do from now
Reply 1
any student med or physio or any other degree advice is appreciates 😭
Original post by Anonymous #1
I'm a first-year physio student at St Georges and I just had my first real OSCE- pretty sure I failed
The anatomy questions I definitely got 0 marks because I reviewed them later, communication I fumbled. I accidentally put the practice patient in an uncomfortable physical position and only realised right at the end when I adjusted the bed. I don't know if that would have fixed the situation and I wouldn't have lost the marks.I asked for consent but I forgot to introduce myself or explain what I was doing.
I was the only one who didn't sit the practice OSCEs because of being hospitalised, so this was my first experience ever, and I don't think it could have gotten worse
I'm pretty sure I failed, I don't know where I'd get the 40% marks from. Results are going to be submitted in 4 weeks and I'm only going to be stressing until then and thinking about resists in August
I've never had to resit an exam before. I feel mentally at my worst, and physically at a low too. I just can't get this horrible experience out of my mind.

Anon,

It sounds like nerves got the better of you, so perhaps it's thinking about ways to manage your nerves for practical exams e.g. taking a couple of deep breaths before starting, taking time to slow down if you are speaking too fast or panicking or taking a moment to go over what you have done before the next task.

As you said yourself, you were unable to practice OSCEs due to being in the hospital. With this in mind, it's great that you were able to do the OSCE and have a go! It would have been nicer if things had gone to plan, but at least you can now reflect and have a better idea of how OSCEs work.

There's no point stressing about the OSCE now. It's not going to do you any good! If you do have to resit, you need to be well rested and focused rather than stressed and anxious. You can't do anything now apart from trying to focus on your other exams so that you can excel in them. You need to let go and remember that one exam that goes badly or one resit, does not mean that you're a terrible student, it just means you had a bad day and have more things to learn or more confidence to build. It means you're still learning and that you are a work in progress!

Don't lose heart,

Oluwatosin 3rd year student University of Huddersfield
Reply 3
Original post by University of Huddersfield
Anon,
It sounds like nerves got the better of you, so perhaps it's thinking about ways to manage your nerves for practical exams e.g. taking a couple of deep breaths before starting, taking time to slow down if you are speaking too fast or panicking or taking a moment to go over what you have done before the next task.
As you said yourself, you were unable to practice OSCEs due to being in the hospital. With this in mind, it's great that you were able to do the OSCE and have a go! It would have been nicer if things had gone to plan, but at least you can now reflect and have a better idea of how OSCEs work.
There's no point stressing about the OSCE now. It's not going to do you any good! If you do have to resit, you need to be well rested and focused rather than stressed and anxious. You can't do anything now apart from trying to focus on your other exams so that you can excel in them. You need to let go and remember that one exam that goes badly or one resit, does not mean that you're a terrible student, it just means you had a bad day and have more things to learn or more confidence to build. It means you're still learning and that you are a work in progress!
Don't lose heart,

Thank you so much for your reply. If my uni offers resists in the summer, I won't have to redo the first year right? I can move onto second year in September- Unless I fail again of course, but now I have an idea of how OSCE's work so I'm more optimistic
Thank you so much for your reply. If my uni offers resists in the summer, I won't have to redo the first year right? I can move onto second year in September- Unless I fail again of course, but now I have an idea of how OSCE's work so I'm more optimistic

Anon,

Correct!

See how things go, but if you do have to resit, take time to practise with friends or other physio students while they are still at uni.

All the best!

Hey I'd recommend going to this link, I gave similar advice to someone else for their osces too! https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=7458136&p=99308690&page=1#post99308690

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending