The Student Room Group

Nigel Farage

I believe that Nigel Farage is a national hero, but there is so much hate for anything he says or does! I would like to hear why people dislike him so much, without simply calling him a racist, which he is not.

Scroll to see replies

He doesn't keep his promises. See the Brexit campaign which implied money saved would be spent on the NHS, only for him to retract and completely disavow that the morning the result was announced.
Original post by Mactotaur
He doesn't keep his promises. See the Brexit campaign which implied money saved would be spent on the NHS, only for him to retract and completely disavow that the morning the result was announced.

Farage wasn't affiliated with the Official Leave campaign, silly.
He's the hero Britain needs but nobody wants him, myself included.
Reply 4
Original post by Mactotaur

Well it wasn't his promise. Think about it, everyone knew before we left that if we did, then he wouldn't be involved in the process of leaving in terms of direct negotiations. From what I remember, the poster said the money COULD be spent on the NHS, not that it will necessarily will...
He is a despicable excuse of a politician who has time and time demonstrated that he has absolutely zero regard for truth or honesty. His entire existence is based on blaming every single possible problem on the EU and despite that, he is very happy to accept his salary from the EU whilst refusing to actually do the job that he's paid to do. You really cannot get much worse in British politics than Farage.
Reply 6
Original post by Plagioclase
He is a despicable excuse of a politician who has time and time demonstrated that he has absolutely zero regard for truth or honesty. His entire existence is based on blaming every single possible problem on the EU and despite that, he is very happy to accept his salary from the EU whilst refusing to actually do the job that he's paid to do. You really cannot get much worse in British politics than Farage.

Are you a Corbyn supporter by any chance?
I think that many UKIP members blame everything on the EU, not Farage himself...
The EU is a political union that is failing, and I believe in 20 years when the UK is thriving economically whilst trading with India and other emerging superpowers everyone will say thank f#ck we left before it failed completely.
Original post by AOG1
Are you a Corbyn supporter by any chance?
I think that many UKIP members blame everything on the EU, not Farage himself...
The EU is a political union that is failing, and I believe in 20 years when the UK is thriving economically whilst trading with India and other emerging superpowers everyone will say thank f#ck we left before it failed completely.

Of course the problem isn't limited just to Farage but as the person who has pretty much single-handedly led this crusade against the EU, he carries much of the responsibility. The EU is not failing, the only reason why people in this country seem to believe this is because politicians and the media have used it as a convenient scapegoat for decades (but most intensively in the past few years) for domestic failings. It's always much easier to blame an outsider for all of your problems than to admit any responsibility for yourself and nobody has managed to master this blame-shifting as much as UKIP has. You are more than welcome to believe that the UK will turn out for the better as a result of this but what I think you will find instead is a rather cruel awakening to the fact that Britain isn't quite as important as Little Englanders seem to believe she is.
He's annoying. There you go, another reason I dislike him.
I agree with you AOG1. Nigel Farage is a hero.
Carry on spreading the truth. This country needs more people like you, who vote for change and control instead of giving it's sovereignty away to foreign bureacrats.

People who hate Nigel Farage have weak logic and are not very smart at all. If you want an example, just look at the comment above. Nirvana rejects everything Nigel Farage says just because she finds him "annoying". Thats ignorance.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 10
Of course the problem isn't limited just to Farage but as the person who has pretty much single-handedly led this crusade against the EU, he carries much of the responsibility. The EU is not failing, the only reason why people in this country seem to believe this is because politicians and the media have used it as a convenient scapegoat for decades (but most intensively in the past few years) for domestic failings. It's always much easier to blame an outsider for all of your problems than to admit any responsibility for yourself and nobody has managed to master this blame-shifting as much as UKIP has. You are more than welcome to believe that the UK will turn out for the better as a result of this but what I think you will find instead is a rather cruel awakening to the fact that Britain isn't quite as important as Little Englanders seem to believe she is.

I'm sorry but how is the EU not failing, look at the unemployment, look at the currency, look at how the migrant crisis was dealt with. The EU is a political union that no one voted for, Mrs Merkel is trying to build a European state in which she controls, and is causing a far right movement in response to her own actions.
Reply 11

Because first hand experience is irrelevant and besides the point, the media and politicians are the only things that inform voters. People need to stop putting down the voters ability to think for themselves, I have never seen such an insult to democracy as the remain side have shown since the referendum and I find it really worrying the amount of support there still is for a rerun.
Reply 12
Original post by Nirvana1989-1994
He's annoying. There you go, another reason I dislike him.

OK, I find Cristiano Ronaldo annoying therefore I would say I don't want him to play for my team, right?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AOG1
I'm sorry but how is the EU not failing, look at the unemployment, look at the currency, look at how the migrant crisis was dealt with. The EU is a political union that no one voted for, Mrs Merkel is trying to build a European state in which she controls, and is causing a far right movement in response to her own actions.

The existence of problems within Europe is not equivalent to saying that the EU is failing. The failure of countries to deal effectively with the refugee crisis is brilliant evidence for the need for greater EU integration, not less. And it's just a lie that "nobody voted for the EU", the decision to join the EU was made by democratically elected governments with clear intentions and there was even a referendum about it in the UK. And for heavens sake, please stop listening to these ridiculous conspiracy theories about Merkel. It's just pathetic.

Original post by Pulse.
People need to stop putting down the voters ability to think for themselves,

It may help then if the voters demonstrate that they are actually capable of thinking for themselves which, judging by the blind faith much of the public had in the lies of the leave campaign and various pro-leave tabloids, is a rather difficult conclusion to take seriously.
(edited 7 years ago)
CAN'T barrage the FARAGE!
Reply 15
Not a UKIP supporter but I do admire Farage.

He is true to his beliefs and unlike most politicians he genuinely cares about his country and isn't in it for his own personal gain. I've heard him speak a few times and love how he always speaks from the heart and not some ready made speech written by someone else.
Reply 16
The existence of problems within Europe is not equivalent to saying that the EU is failing. The failure of countries to deal effectively with the refugee crisis is brilliant evidence for the need for greater EU integration, not less. And it's just a lie that "nobody voted for the EU", the decision to join the EU was made by democratically elected governments with clear intentions and there was even a referendum about it in the UK. And for heavens sake, please stop listening to these ridiculous conspiracy theories about Merkel. It's just pathetic.

I would believe that Spain, Italy and Greece would say the EU has failed them...
No the migrant crisis was such a disaster because there are several smaller countries like Bulgaria trying to tell Germany to stop inviting the migrants in, and Germany just didn't listen because they thought they were doing the morally good thing and caused chaos.
The people of Europe voted for a trading union, not a full on political union where our laws are set in Brussels...
So what are your thoughts on the EU army that has been proposed?
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by AOG1
No the migrant crisis was such a disaster because there are several smaller countries like Bulgaria trying to tell Germany to stop inviting the migrants in, and Germany just didn't listen because they thought they were doing the morally good thing and caused chaos.

And Germany was thoroughly in the right in this case, it's disgraceful that other countries didn't take up their moral duty. There would not have been a crisis if other countries had taken their responsibilities seriously rather than trying to pretend that the refugees do not exist.

I am very much in favour of the new EU military headquarters, it should have been in place for years.
Personally, I have mixed feelings about Farage.
I think he's a good politician who's gifted at convincing people of his point of view (and making them think they had that idea all along); however, I dislike his anti-free-trade rhetoric and his passive acceptance of racism within his party, even if he himself is not racist.
I agree with a lot of what he says - I'm a Leave supporter - but I didn't want to Leave for the same reasons Farage did. I recognise the needs of immigration, and I love the idea of the Common Market. What I don't like is that centralisation and ever-closer union of the EU (I know we were exempt from that, and tbh the idea that we'd be further secluded from where most decisions are made is what really made me want to Leave).
Most of the people who dislike Farage do so simply because they can't actually be bothered to look at the context of what he says, or even look up what he says; all they think is that UKIP is 'racist', so anything associated with it they will hate.
Other people who hate Farage do so because they look at the context. If Farage talks about closing off the borders and putting Britain first, and this is a person who is an immigrant, or hates nationalism in any form, they'll dislike him because he goes against what may be some of their core beliefs.
Of course, someone may like Farage for the exact same reason - they think we should close our borders and put Britain first, so they like him even if they don't agree with many of his other economic principals.
It's impossible to thoroughly explain why every single person who dislikes Farage do so, but I like to think I at least touched on the main reasons.
Reply 19
And Germany was thoroughly in the right in this case, it's disgraceful that other countries didn't take up their moral duty. There would not have been a crisis if other countries had taken their responsibilities seriously rather than trying to pretend that the refugees do not exist.

I am very much in favour of the new EU military headquarters, it should have been in place for years.

I'm sorry but a country's priority has to be to safety and livelihoods of their own residents. If they can help anyone else after ensuring their own population is looked after, then great, but when the migrants went through Bulgaria they destroyed farmland, disruption to basic transport, especially the poorer countries, disgraceful that Germany didn't take this into consideration and just goes to prove they don't care about the smaller countries in the EU.
There is no responsibility, the majority are economic migrants, if they were genuine refugees they would've settled in the first country that wasn't war-torn.

An EU army is only used to send a message to Russia, which will certainly lead to conflict, there is no need for it.

Quick Reply

Latest