The Student Room Group

Financial support for teacher training

Hi all, I am just wondering if someone could calm my fears a bit really!

I am thinking about applying for teacher training but would have a year being unsalaried. I have a mortgage and we would be relying solely on my partners income which is roughly 21,000 a year. This would cover the mortgage and all utility bills but without an income we would not be able to afford petrol and food etc which obviously I would still need!

I am unsure how student finance as I have been doing a part time degree and am wondering what the likelihood is that I would be able to get a loan to cover me for that year. We have worked out that we could manage on about £600 a month but could squeeze tighter if needs be. Does anyone know much about this? I am terrified that I will have to give up my place because I cannot get a loan to live on! I am just worried that the fact that my partner has an income would count against me !

If be grateful for any advice. Thanks
Hi Meg,

Can you please clarify what course you are doing? What is the part time degree you have been doing?

Thanks
Reply 2
I have been doing a part time degree in English lit with the open university and will be doing a PGCE
Hi Meg,

You may be eligible to receive tuition fee loan and maintenance loan. You may also be eligible to receive disable students allowance and supplementary grants if applicable.

I would advise you to make an application so we can assess you correctly and determine which support you will be eligible for.

Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending