The Student Room Group

Am I Too Old To Do A PGCE? Primary (with PE) or Sociology

I'm considering a PGCE and a career change from my work now in sports development to either primary or social sciences teaching.However, I need to complete an undergrad degree first, then train so that means I'll be a 45 year old man doing my ECT. My undergrad is in sociology, so I could qualify and teach that subject or use my job experience and focus on primary.I have lots of experience delivering and managing sport in schools and organisations like local councils and sports clubs...I currently work for a first class county in cricket. I hold a variety of sports coaching qualifications and I've delivered PE lessons in a lot of schools as an external provider.I am concerned that 45 is too old to start teaching primary, as male teacher, but also that sociology is a subject with too few jobs available.I have worked abroad before, and would like to do so again, and primary is the best option for that but being in your mid 40's limits opportunities too.Has anyone else qualified at that age? How did it go? Any and all advice appreciated
Reply 1
Original post by uluday
I'm considering a PGCE and a career change from my work now in sports development to either primary or social sciences teaching.However, I need to complete an undergrad degree first, then train so that means I'll be a 45 year old man doing my ECT. My undergrad is in sociology, so I could qualify and teach that subject or use my job experience and focus on primary.I have lots of experience delivering and managing sport in schools and organisations like local councils and sports clubs...I currently work for a first class county in cricket. I hold a variety of sports coaching qualifications and I've delivered PE lessons in a lot of schools as an external provider.I am concerned that 45 is too old to start teaching primary, as male teacher, but also that sociology is a subject with too few jobs available.I have worked abroad before, and would like to do so again, and primary is the best option for that but being in your mid 40's limits opportunities too.Has anyone else qualified at that age? How did it go? Any and all advice appreciated

I'm 29 and doing a secondary SCITT course at the moment, there are quite a few people who I would say are your age or older on the course. I can't give personal advice but just wanted to let you know that you wouldn't be alone.
Hi @uluday,
Short answer: No, you would not be too old!
More seriously, a significant percentage of trainee teachers, nowadays, are career changers like you. Your age and past experience are seen as an asset by schools. You might find it useful to read these blogs from career changers and their experiences:
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/blog/my-career-change-to-teaching
https://getintoteaching.education.gov.uk/blog/product-engineer-turned-science-teacher
I would also suggest that you register to get a teaching adviser with Get into Teaching, click here to register. It is a free service, all our advisers are experienced teachers, some of them are career changers, they will be able to share their experience, answer your questions and help you decide which phase/subject is best for you and support you with your application if you were to apply.
All the best,
Laure.
Original post by uluday

There was a man on my PGCE (further education) course who was 50. He's been working in a college for the last 5 years teaching Drama and Performing Arts.
Almost every single answer to the 'AM I TOO OLD' question is no.
It's a mindset. I've seen people in their 70s do GCSEs because they wanted to go on and do a degree.
As long as your financially stable enough to do this massive career change then you should go for it.
Reply 5
Absolutely not too old!
Good luck!
(edited 1 month ago)
Original post by uluday

@uluday
Hi, I did a PGCE in 2012 and I was the youngest on the course at 25. The eldest were two in their 50's, its never too late to sign up and inspire the next generation

Marc
Arden University Student Ambassador
Original post by uluday

Hi,

You are never too old to pursue your passion!

I'm currently studying my masters in social work and I'm in my late 20's, I have students who are in their 40's in my class. I studied sociology for GCSE, A-levels and undergraduate and I've never regretted it.

From
~May
Kingston University Student Postgraduate Representative

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending