The Student Room Group

Why do the Bremoaners hate Britain so much?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by CherishFreedom
If you are so interested in the truth, you wouldn't be relying on your own assumptions all the time with your argument.
:confused:
But the "truth" (ie. facts, supported by incontovertible evidence) is that the referendum was a consultative process that is not legally or constitutionally binding. You can bang on about "political suicide" and "the will of the people" and such, as much as you like, it doesn't alter the facts (or "the truth", if you prefer).

The people (or at least those who bothered enough to vote) had voted with a majority for Brexit - this is the truth.
Correct.

I don't know where you want to find your own version of the truth, I suspect it might be the echo chamber you live in?
I think I see your problem now.
You appear to think that by gaining a majority in the referendum, Brexit has a legally and constitutionally binding mandate.
It doesn't.
And that's a fact (sorry, "the truth").
Hope this helped.
If you are so interested in the truth, you wouldn't be relying on your own assumptions all the time with your argument.

The people (or at least those who bothered enough to vote) had voted with a majority for Brexit - this is the truth.

I don't know where you want to find your own version of the truth, I suspect it might be the echo chamber you live in?

52% to 48% was the result. Does that mean 48% should have to keep their voices eternally silenced? Referendums are non-binding; from my tone I can guess I was pro-remain. However, I accept the decision. The Miller vs Secretary of State for Exiting the E.U. case was simply based on law, and the high court specifically state "they were looking at it from as legal perspective, not at the political pros and cons" in the official decision summary. Since then, the case has been leap-frogged to the Supreme court and they will likely come to the same conclusion. Therefore, it's also the "truth" that May is acting illegally by using a royal prerogative to exit the E.U.
Original post by pinkshirt
52% to 48% was the result. Does that mean 48% should have to keep their voices eternally silenced? Referendums are non-binding; from my tone I can guess I was pro-remain. However, I accept the decision. The Miller vs Secretary of State for Exiting the E.U. case was simply based on law, and the high court specifically state "they were looking at it from as legal perspective, not at the political pros and cons" in the official decision summary. Since then, the case has been leap-frogged to the Supreme court and they will likely come to the same conclusion. Therefore, it's also the "truth" that May is acting illegally by using a royal prerogative to exit the E.U.

I have already acknowledged and defended the court's judgement on my previous posts on this thread. I support the decision because I believe the referendum mandate only concerned whether we leave the EU, it does not extend to the finer terms which should be debated in parliament.

The issue is that some people are saying that the referendum was false and the result is not what people wanted. It is clear that we have voted for Brexit, this is the truth and I will continue to correct anyone who do not respect the referendum's result despite agreeing to take part in it.
Original post by QE2
:confused:
But the "truth" (ie. facts, supported by incontovertible evidence) is that the referendum was a consultative process that is not legally or constitutionally binding. You can bang on about "political suicide" and "the will of the people" and such, as much as you like, it doesn't alter the facts (or "the truth", if you prefer).

Correct.

I think I see your problem now.
You appear to think that by gaining a majority in the referendum, Brexit has a legally and constitutionally binding mandate.
It doesn't.
And that's a fact (sorry, "the truth":wink:.
Hope this helped.

You are again missing the point. I never said the referendum is not consultative, I am stating the truth that all mainstream parties intend to uphold Brexit. I am also noting that fact that the referendum acts as a mandate for the government to carry out Brexit.

Just read over and over again until you understand the distinctions I am stating here. I never said that the referendum is legally binding, so can you start reading what I write because it just makes you a bad debater when you respond to things I have actually stated oppositely.

By saying that the referendum result is not the 'truth' it just shows a lot about your respect for the majority's decision.

However aren't you happy that so many people think differently to you, and that all mainstream parties reject your wish to ignore the mandate? Just a healthy dose of 'truth' for you to digest here.
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by QE2
That is a political consideration, not a constitutional or legal one. The referendum was constitutionally and legally, only consultative.

Technically true, but also meaningless.

Parliament did not consult the people only to ignore the results of that consultation.

What was the point of the consultation in that case?

And are you arguing that there is any constitutional or legal basis for our remaining a member of the EU?

What would that be exactly?
Reply 225
You are again missing the point. I never said the referendum is not consultative, I am stating the truth that all mainstream parties intend to uphold Brexit.
What do you mean by "uphold Brexit"? They may have said that they will not attemp to block it in Parliament (athought it is, after all, just more politicians promises :wink:) , but there is nothing to "uphold" at the moment because the engineers of the Leave vote forgot to make any kind of plan for Brexit itself (presumably because they didn't think that people would be gullible enough to fall for all the lies).

[quote]I am also noting that fact that the referendum acts as a mandate for the government to carry out Brexit.[/quote Not according to the High Court, it doesn't.

Just read over and over again until you understand the distinctions I am stating here. I never said that the referendum is legally binding, so can you start reading what I write because it just makes you a bad debater when you respond to things I have actually stated oppositely.
So we can agree.
1. The referendum was not binding
2. The government does not have the authority to carry out Brexit without Parliament's approval
3. Some politicians have made some promises that you are assuming they will honour.
4. "The People" were lied to about the reasons for, and effects of Brexit (which the CPS are looking into)
5. The same referendum now would likely have the opposite result

I'm having trouble locating this moral high-ground that you seem to think you are occupying.

By saying that the referendum result is not the 'truth' it just shows a lot about your respect for the majority's decision.
If you refer to my earlier post, you will see that I acknowledge that fact of the Leave majority in the referendum.

However aren't you happy that so many people think differently to you, and that all mainstream parties reject your wish to ignore the mandate? Just a healthy dose of 'truth' for you to digest here.
I think you'll find that your previous paragraph (along with most of your posts)contains only assertion, opinion and speculation.

You keep using this word "truth".
I'm not sure that it means what you think it means.
Reply 226
Original post by astutehirstute
Technically true, but also meaningless.
How can it be meaningless if it describes the legal and constitutional status of the referendum. It means exactly that.

How like a Brexiteer to call the Law and Constitution "meaningless"!

Parliament did not consult the people only to ignore the results of that consultation.
Correct. They consulted the country to find out what their position was on leaving the EU. However, what Parliament then does with that information is entirely up to Parliament. It is not up to the people who voted in the referendum.

What was the point of the consultation in that case?
I just told you. And the answer is in your question. It means "to seek information", not "to request instruction".

And are you arguing that there is any constitutional or legal basis for our remaining a member of the EU?
What would that be exactly?
Absolutely. If Parliament refused to approve Brexit, it would be entirely legal and constitutional. Are you suggesting that it would be illegal or unconstitutional for Parliament to reject Brexit? Could you explain why that would be? (Please try and remember that the referendum has no legal or constitutional bearing on the issue - it is a political issue)
Wasn't it the Leavers who were demanding Parliamentary sovereignty. Are you now claiming that you actually wanted mob rule, or a government dictatorship?
You really need to clarify your position.
Reply 227
I believe the referendum mandate only concerned whether we leave the EU, it does not extend to the finer terms which should be debated in parliament.
Correct (if we accept a loose definition of "mandate" that implies an adisory element).

The issue is that some people are saying that the referendum was false and the result is not what people wanted.
The result was what it was, but it is clearly not what millions of people wanted, so it is false (ie. not the truth) to keep referring to "the people". It was only "some of the people" who voted Leave (actually, a minority of the electorate - that is another truth for you).

It is clear that we have voted for Brexit, this is the truth and I will continue to correct anyone who do not respect the referendum's result despite agreeing to take part in it.
Why should I respect it? I accept the result as a matter of fact, but that is entirely different to respecting it. I will do everything in my power (and my powers are considerable!) to oppose Brexit.

Is it just me, or did the definition of "respect" change in the last few years? People seem to keep using it as a synonym for "tolerate", "accept", "agree with", etc. :confused:

Nope - just checked the OED and it's still ...
"A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements."
That cannot, by any stretch of even the most fevered imagination, apply to Brexit or the arguments of the Beleavers.
Original post by QE2
Correct (if we accept a loose definition of "mandate" that implies an adisory element).

The result was what it was, but it is clearly not what millions of people wanted, so it is false (ie. not the truth) to keep referring to "the people". It was only "some of the people" who voted Leave (actually, a minority of the electorate - that is another truth for you).

Why should I respect it? I accept the result as a matter of fact, but that is entirely different to respecting it. I will do everything in my power (and my powers are considerable!) to oppose Brexit.

Is it just me, or did the definition of "respect" change in the last few years? People seem to keep using it as a synonym for "tolerate", "accept", "agree with", etc. :confused:

Nope - just checked the OED and it's still ...
"A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements."
That cannot, by any stretch of even the most fevered imagination, apply to Brexit or the arguments of the Beleavers.

Then I can summarise you like this - you accept that the referendum was a mandate, but you deny that it represented the people and you refuse to accept the result.

You be you, but I'll just say I'm glad that most people and all mainstream parties do accept the result.
Original post by QE2
What do you mean by "uphold Brexit"? They may have said that they will not attemp to block it in Parliament (athought it is, after all, just more politicians promises :wink:) , but there is nothing to "uphold" at the moment because the engineers of the Leave vote forgot to make any kind of plan for Brexit itself (presumably because they didn't think that people would be gullible enough to fall for all the lies).

I am also noting that fact that the referendum acts as a mandate for the government to carry out Brexit.[/quote Not according to the High Court, it doesn't.

So we can agree.
1. The referendum was not binding
2. The government does not have the authority to carry out Brexit without Parliament's approval
3. Some politicians have made some promises that you are assuming they will honour.
4. "The People" were lied to about the reasons for, and effects of Brexit (which the CPS are looking into)
5. The same referendum now would likely have the opposite result

I'm having trouble locating this moral high-ground that you seem to think you are occupying.

If you refer to my earlier post, you will see that I acknowledge that fact of the Leave majority in the referendum.

I think you'll find that your previous paragraph (along with most of your posts)contains only assertion, opinion and speculation.

You keep using this word "truth".
I'm not sure that it means what you think it means.

All mainstream parties had indicated that they will respect the referendum's result and Brexit must happen - is this not clear enough for you?

And I'm not going to respond to your summary of what we 'agree' on, because first of all you got most them wrong and you are just trying to bypass the argument by twisting my position in your own words. I have stated my points very clearly, but I don't think you have read them at all.

Feel free to stay in your echo chamber though, and keep making false assumptions on my views if it makes you any happier that we are still leaving the EU.
Original post by QE2
How can it be meaningless if it describes the legal and constitutional status of the referendum. .

It is meaningless because it fails to understand the post Brexit reality. The zeitgeist.

What you are talking about are minor legal niceties which will be finessed though the Commons. Our constitution is constantly evolving, it is unwritten, and endlessly flexible as a result.

What we are witnessing before our eyes is that earlier constitution being smashed. What will evolve, I can't say, no-one can, but it could be a formal legal incorporation of Referenda into the decision making process (the present situation is clearly unsatisfactory and needs reform) and even, if the Lords defy the people's will on this, the destruction of our venerable second chamber itself.

You are getting caught up in the legal minutae here and not seeing the bigger picture. Like King Canute trying to push back the waves.

The EU is finished, we are just the first to leave.

Has Trump's victory still not shown you that huge, historic forces are at work here??

What will it take? A Le Pen victory in France? Will you at least wake up then?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending