The Student Room Group

Why was Imperialism the most important cause of WW1

So have to write an essay on why imperialism was the main cause of WW1 and I don't really get it
Help me please!
Original post by ArianaChande
So have to write an essay on why imperialism was the main cause of WW1 and I don't really get it
Help me please!

Because Germany wanted an empire to match that of the British, the Kaiser therefore ordered the building up of a huge Navy, to carry out his policy of imperialism. This led to the arms race between Britain and Germany, mainly due to Britain feeling threatened by the actions of the kaiser. When you have two industrial superpowers of the time, building battleships in such quantities, whilst being geographically very close to each other there was only ever going to b one outcome.
Just some info :smile:
Help me please!

But was it???
Look at what imperialism is and how it manifested itself during the period. Policies, attitudes, incidents.
Compare that with other causes, then take a position.
Original post by 999tigger
Look at what imperialism is and how it manifested itself during the period. Policies, attitudes, incidents.

Essentially this.

I'd be interested to know from @ArianaChande whether their teacher gave everyone the same essay, or whether other people were given different possible causes, eg nationalism, the alliance system, military planning etc etc.
Original post by 999tigger

The essay question was "Imperialism was the Main Cause Of The First World War. How far do you agree?"
The essay question was "Imperialism was the Main Cause Of The First World War. How far do you agree?"

Did everyone get the same question?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ageshallnot
Did everyone get the same question?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes
Yes

Lazy teaching in some ways. If different pupils had different angles you could learn more collectively.

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't necessarily have to say that imperialism was the main cause. The question is asking you to do three things; write about how it could be considered as the main cause, how it may not be considered the main cause and a conclusion which shows your opinion on the statement after you have looked at both sides of the argument.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending