The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Imperial college questions

I was just wondering if imperial college is actually a well-known university(I'm am aware its QS 6, but those rankings doesn't really show how reputable/well known a university is) globally, or is it just in the UK and what student life is actually like, cause I heard that Imperial has more classes to take than even oxbridge and most students find it difficult to get a good social life.
Original post by Anonymous #1
I was just wondering if imperial college is actually a well-known university(I'm am aware its QS 6, but those rankings doesn't really show how reputable/well known a university is) globally, or is it just in the UK and what student life is actually like, cause I heard that Imperial has more classes to take than even oxbridge and most students find it difficult to get a good social life.

Are you crazy?? Starting to think this is a troll post but on the off-chance it isn't, Imperial is (I think) the only university in this country that focusses entirely on STEM courses. It is well known in the UK but isn't as well known as Oxbridge. As for student life, I can't say because I'm not a student there (yet) but it's nowhere near as hard as Oxbridge.

Imperial is hard and there is a huge workload, don't get me wrong but the Oxbridge reputation is if you haven't managed to burn yourself out within the first week, you must be doing no work. I know someone who is doing NatSci at St John's college Cambridge. During his A levels, at no point did said individual show any signs of stress and he wasn't stressed at all. Now that he is on the course, he is showing signs of being human - he is being stretched beyond his tether and he literally never been anywhere in Cambridge other than the NatSci building and his room. At Imperial, if you remain organised, there are many opportunities to do stuff throughout the year in terms of social events and the societies all organise this.
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous #1

Avoid - it's very poor at supporting students and London is very expensive.

It's not as good as it thinks it is and was very slow to get back to in-person teaching and some courses are still mainly taught remotely.
Original post by Muttley79
Avoid - it's very poor at supporting students and London is very expensive.

It's not as good as it thinks it is and was very slow to get back to in-person teaching and some courses are still mainly taught remotely.

thats wrong info. go for imperial

pls dont post misleading info, it can affect imp decisions
It is a hybrid learning system with a 50:50 split as well.
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous #3
thats wrong info. go for imperial

pls dont post misleading info, it can affect imp decisions

It's not wrong - I know mamy students who say this.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous #2

Why though - they were boasting about no more in-person lectures until they were 'advised' that would raise external concerns. Why anon ...???
Reply 7
Imperial is well-known globally - most of its students come from abroad.

Original post by Anonymous

a) this would depend on the course and b) the only course I know of that still does anything substantially online is Medical Biosciences, and that's something they already did prior to the pandemic. Chemistry was very slow to go back in-person but as far as I'm aware, they are back to in-person lectures (and everything else)
Reply 8
Imperial is less of a workload than Oxford or Cambridge - even if the overall amount of content is similar, remember that Oxford and Cambridge cram everything into 8 week terms
Original post by Muttley79
It's not wrong - I know mamy students who say this.

i'm a student at imperial and i'll have to disagree.

snd i think they are very supportive actually, none of my friends even feel that stressed. I mean a bit of stress is going to be there at any uni but I really would say go for it at Imperial. It's a top university, the workload isnt that huge compared to other unis and overall, its a rly good uni.

One student against hundreds who have experienced rubbish treatment ... and your username does not identify you.
snd i think they are very supportive actually, none of my friends even feel that stressed. I mean a bit of stress is going to be there at any uni but I really would say go for it at Imperial. It's a top university, the workload isnt that huge compared to other unis and overall, its a rly good uni.

Your experience really reassures me of firming Imperial. I've received an offer but I was yet to decide who I should firm. I think it will definitely be Imperial now. I was still worried about the online lessons because from watching YouTube videos of "Days in the lives of Imperial students", so many of the videos contained just a whole day of online lessons, barring the first few hours until 12 pm.

Having seen this, I also thought it was odd that while at my interview, there were LOADS of undergrad students at the department where my interview was being held (since I was under the impression that the majority of classes would be online) but I assumed it was a one time thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending