The Student Room Group
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website

Official Glasgow University offer holders 2017!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by samanthavmac
Aw, I'm not worried about it, it's just irritating af when I get asked the dreaded question: "Where abouts in England are you from?"

Shut it aha there's nothing wrong with a Glasgow accent (unless it's the Glasgow Uni accent :wink: )

That's a wee shame! I'm praying I don't accidentally pick up the accent, shameful :biggrin:
Graduation day, University of Glasgow
University of Glasgow
Visit website
I'm applying to The University of Glasgow for 2018 and was curious seeing what offers people got. I've just noticed I have only seen 2 people from Scotland who haven't got unconditional offers? yet I've only seen 1 person with an unconditional offer in England on this forum?

It could be coincidence but just thought it was rather bizarre?

Do Scottish universities have to have x amount of Scottish student or something similar?

Curiosity.
Original post by Josh C Elliott
I'm applying to The University of Glasgow for 2018 and was curious seeing what offers people got. I've just noticed I have only seen 2 people from Scotland who haven't got unconditional offers? yet I've only seen 1 person with an unconditional offer in England on this forum?

It could be coincidence but just thought it was rather bizarre?

Do Scottish universities have to have x amount of Scottish student or something similar?

Curiosity.

The English and Scottish education systems are completely different and students take different exams.

Scottish students usually apply after they have taken their Highers at the end of 5th year ( There is one less year in High school in Scotland so you take your National 5s-equivalent of GCSE's at the end of 4th year) Most pupils then stay on to 6th year and take more Highers or Advanced Highers (which are a little bit harder than a levels)
Scottish offers are for most subjects (excluding medicine etc) based on Highers and consequently if you did well in your HIghers you may well get an unconditional offer.

As most English students apply before they have their A level results they will get a conditional offer.

There is a cap on Scottish/EU students that a university can take and consequently is often harder for Scottish students to get a place ( If you want to see examples of this have a look at Edinburgh Universities admissions statistics which show hat the offer rate for Scottish students is much lower . For example in 2016 28% of Scottish/EU students got an offer for History at Edinburgh University but 69% of English/Welsh etc students did.

http://www.ed.ac.uk/student-recruitment/admissions-advice/admissions-statistics
Original post by elisejcochrane
I knew I didn't want to go far for uni
Posted from TSR Mobile

Why not?
Hey I was wondering about Fresher's Week at UofG...

Everyone is saying they bought tickets to certain events they wanna go to and the ads are very adamant about the alleged fact that they always sell out before freshers and that if we don't wanna be stuck in the flat while everyone is out we should buy them before. But then again a lot of people who have been through freshers say that it's a waste of money to buy them before and we should see what our flatmates are doing first and buy tickets as we go through the week.

So is it really a must to buy tickets beforehand or is it just a waste of money? Thanks a lot! :biggrin:
Original post by Kreka894
I also firmed History with History of Art

Hey! Also history of art
A Levels: History, English Lit, Italian, Drama and Theatre
Predicted grades: A*ABA*
Course: History
Offer:AAB
A Levels: History, Politics and Geography
Predicted grades: AAB
course: History/Politics
Just slightly confused because i though they offer unconditionals if you meet the requirements for the course (which is AAB). Will they contact people later regarding unconditionals because Hull did that to me?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Laurencacti
A Levels: History, English Lit, Italian, Drama and Theatre
Predicted grades: A*ABA*
Course: History

Original post by tannerrr01
A Levels: History, Politics and Geography
Predicted grades: AAB
course: History/Politics
Just slightly confused because i though they offer unconditionals if you meet the requirements for the course (which is AAB). Will they contact people later regarding unconditionals because Hull did that to me?

You're in the wrong year if you're applying for 2018 entry. I don't know if there's an official 2018 applicants thread but if not you can always make one :smile:
Location- Northern Ireland
A Levels- English Lit, History, Politics and did AS Business
Predicted Grades: ABB
Course(s)- Classics (single hons) and Classics with Politics
Offers- AAB for both which i am not entirely pleased with as i'm not 100% confident that i'll be able to achieve them grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending