The Student Room Group
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London

Business Management at Middlesex University

Hi I'm Juan, I am a third year student studying BA (Hons) International Business Management at Middlesex University. I am Course Ambassador for all Business Management courses. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions regarding all business management related courses at Middlesex University! Will get back to you as soon as I can!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Here's a few FAQ's that may interest you.

What does a timetable generally look like?
Your timetable will include a lecture and seminar for each module (you will study 4 modules). These classes will be shown clearly in your online timetable. You will get the chance to change your timetable within the first two weeks of uni (if the class is repeated during the week), that way you can fit your timetable to your liking.

Can I do a placement?
Yes, you can! There are various ways to do it.
- You can take on a placement of a full year in between your second and third year, extending your degree to 4 years.
- You can work both summers i.e. between year 1 and 2, and year 2 and 3.
- You can do a part time internship as an optional module during your third and final year of your degree.

Do I get the opportunity to study abroad?
You can also go abroad for a term or for a whole year. We also have a campus in Mauritius and Dubai, you can go and study there too!

What course and reading resources will I be provided with?
You will have access to your core textbooks online. You can also borrow hard copies from the library if you prefer to do that. You will also have recommended readings (books, journals and articles) that your lecturers will give you and most of these can be found either online via your MDX Hub or again, at the library.

Will I study everyday?
In most cases you wont, if you’re quick enough to change your timetable to fit lessons into less days then even better!

What is the exam/coursework balance?
It all depends on the module, some modules will be 100% coursework and some will have a split. Make sure to read up on this on the course website which will have a more accurate description.
The Quad, Middlesex University
Middlesex University
London
Reply 2
Hi guys, just going to tell you a bit about my week at university. On Monday, I couldn't make it to my lesson, so I e-mailed my lecturer and let her know my reasons. She was really helpful and helped me to make sure I covered everything that was covered in the lesson. Tuesday, we had a lesson on how to improve our presentation skills in order to present in 2 weeks, really helpful! Our lecture for our third module was an online lecture which can be watched on Moodle. For the last lecture of the week we had a drop in session with our lecturer. Had to finish off the week with a night out on Saturday!
Reply 3
Hello all! So this week I've been a bit busier, had a presentation due on tuesday which I think went quite well. So mon and tues (besides classes) were full of group meetings and rehearsing the presentation. I also have an essay due in on the 5th december, which I'm finding a little bit difficult. I went to the Learning support unit at uni and they helped me structure my essay and also gave me tips on my draft, he told me what was good and also what could be improved. I now feel ready to improve my essay and hopefully get a first!!!
Reply 4
So this week has been quite busy! Got an essay due on Monday 5th and a case summary on Body shop due for the 16th! Been at the library a few hours, taken books out on competitive strategies and using them for references as instructed by the librarian last week. Also got into groups for a group business proposal that we will be completing next year so planning early for that. For the essay that is due on 5th, we had a feedback session in our seminar where someone from the Academic Writing department to give us individual help on structure and referencing for our drafts, also our lecturer gave us individual feedback on the content of our drafts and have been improving this all week!
Reply 5
This Monday I had to hand in my essay for Business Strategy, it was based on Michael Porter's diamond strategy. I spent all day perfecting it and finalising it and finally handed it in. In the ethics and culture module we did a negotiation role-play which was quite an interesting way to learn! I had a coursework surgery in my global supply chain module which was helpful as I got a better idea about how to write it and what to include. Ive started doing the reading of a case shop on body shop as I have to hand in a piece of coursework next week, so my focus has been on that.
Reply 6
So Christmas has been fun, filled with presents, food and drink. Even though we broke up from uni on 16th, the uni work has continued. Have been doing a lot of reading for the two assignments that I have due in January. One of those is for Business and Ethics and the second for Global Supply Chain. For the first one I chose the two countries that I will use for the assignment and for the second, I have narrowed down to the last three options for the company that I want to use. Most of my holidays have been based around reading and research, during this week I will begin the planning for both of these. Merry xmas and see you in the new year!!!
Reply 7
Hello all, happy new year!!! There hasn't been much done over the past week as I've spent it celebrating Christmas, New Years, Bank Holidays and finding other reasons to go out. As many of you have, I've lost track of what day of the week it is... Nonetheless since Monday I've started on my Business and Ethics coursework as we will have a session next Monday for tutors to review our drafts. I've printed a couple of journals from Summon (uni online reading resource) which I plan on using for references and that's been my focus for the past few days and it will be until Monday where I'll probably be told that the whole thing needs changing!!!
Reply 8
Hey! This week has been crazy busy with the assignment for International Management. It was a close call as it was really close to the deadline and I made the rookie error of leaving the hardest part till last!!! I managed to hand it in 2 hours before the deadline so hopefully it went well.
Besides that, it was a struggle to get back into the rhythm of things after 3 weeks off, but I'm ready for the new week and for these last few months!!
Reply 9
Had a very busy week (starting to get used to these). Got into a group for our business strategy presentation (will give more information about the subject when i have it). We also had a deadline for Global supply chain this tuesday coming but it has been extended as most students were struggling with the work!!! (Thank God). I received great news on friday regarding my Small businesses going global coursework (got a first :biggrin:), so that set me up for a good weekend. Also set up the first group meeting for the coursework for small businesses going global which is to create a business proposal as a group and present it.
This week has been a bit more relaxed than the past few, however I still have a deadline in two weeks for global supply chain and I have only just decided now on what business I want to do it on. I have chosen a Colombian SME (Juan Valdez), which is a coffee shop, as our lecturer asked us to preferably choose a company from our countries of origin. I will be starting the coursework now which is based around choosing three countries that they could expand to and suggesting the possible strategies that they could use. Besides that, I have just been in classes and preparing for the next few months. During our Business Strategy lecture, our Chinese lecturer bought us fortune cookies and sweets from China to celebrate the Chinese New Year too!
Reply 11
I cannot attend the applicant day on 25th Feb. Is there another date I can attend?
Hey guys, so I met some of you last week and it was good to meet you all. Hopefully we can see some of you again soon. Just a quick update on what I've been up to this week. Have been in class as usual, but my main focus has been the Global Supply Chain essay, I have been working on it for around 2/3 weeks as it is quite complex and difficult. However progress has been made on understanding the theories involved through reading journals and textbooks. Submission is on Tuesday so I should have it done by then. Also received a grade back for my ethics assignment, which I was very happy with :smile:
Original post by Hades92
I cannot attend the applicant day on 25th Feb. Is there another date I can attend?

Hi, let me get back to you on this one...
Juan
I will be starting a fast track degree in business management this year October. I would like to know if there will be classes/lectures to attend every day Monday to Friday, as a fast track is a 3 year degree squashed into 2 years. Please do get back to me soon, thank you.
Original post by Hades92

Morning, we have a second applicant day on the 18th March, so don't worry if you miss the one on the 25th! See you in March.
Juan
Original post by RuhulAminSami
I will be starting a fast track degree in business management this year October. I would like to know if there will be classes/lectures to attend every day Monday to Friday, as a fast track is a 3 year degree squashed into 2 years. Please do get back to me soon, thank you.

Hi, I'm doing a 3 year course and I come into uni 4 days a week. Therefore my guess is that you will have classes everyday, but this all depends on how the timetable is set up. At this moment I couldn't tell you what your timetable will be exactly as it won't be released yet.

You've probably already seen this but will put it in just in case you haven't.
http://www.mdx.ac.uk/courses/undergraduate/business-management-fast-track

Juan
Okay thanks for help
Been a stressful week with yet another deadline for global supply chain, had a very challenging piece of work to complete. But besides that, it has just been group meetings and discussing the final few group assignments for the remainder of the semester! And of course been in every lecture and seminar during the week!
This week has calmed down a little bit as I don't have any deadlines this week or the next. Have been working on a presentation about the expansion of Virgin Active into South East Asia mainly. Have mainly been dealing with classes and work on the side. Currently looking forward to a chilled weekend after being stressed out for most of them since the turn of the year! Looking forward to seeing some of you next saturday 25th at the applicant day!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending